Avatar of GI KoreaBy on October 21st, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Attacking General Petraeus’ Combat Action Badge

The attempts by the anti-war left to discredit General Petraeus which is being led by both Moveon.org and the Daily Kos has gotten even more desperate as they are now claiming that General Petraeus was frauduently awarded his combat action badge:

But a medal for valor in mortal combat is not a merit badge. It represents the physical spilling of blood – the risking and taking of life. It is an apology to those who have faced this terrible thing, and a mark of gratitude for their courage and determination and selflessness in the face of violence.  But you have to have one to be cool like the other guys. So you get yourself a Combat Action Badge – even though they started being handed out in 2005 and you were “in” combat in 2003. [Daily Kos]

This comes on the heels of the pathetic claim by the Daily Kos that General Petraeus awarded himself a fraudulent bronze star which I quickly debunked.  Now I will debunk the latest claims against his combat action badge.

Unlike the Daily Kos I know full well the eligibility requirements for the combat action badge and paragraph number six of the eligibility requirements easily debunks the Daily Kos’ claims:

(6) Retroactive awards for the CAB are not authorized prior to 18 September 2001, applications (to include supporting documentation) for retroactive awards of the CAB will be forwarded through the first two star general in the chain of command to CG, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDO-PA, Alexandria, VA 22332-0471.

Because General Petraeus served in combat in 2003 that makes him perfectly eligible to wear the combat action badge even though it was first established in 2005 because it is retroactive to 2001.  It took me less than five minutes to write this and debunk these people; that should give you some idea of the level of military knowledge at work at the Daily Kos.

Why these people at the Daily Kos don’t bother verifying the eligibility requirements for the badge before making these ridiculous claims is beyond me but I have to assume that they just want to pass off propaganda to the people reading their site to be repeated over and over again on other leftist blogs until the conventional wisdom on the left is that Petraeus is wearing fraudulent awards.

Yes, I question their patriotism.

• ROK Drop Weekly Linklets - 28OCT07 at ROK Drop
    1:05 am on October 28th, 2007 1

[...] Iraq Imminent-  Army Strong with Tila Tequila-  Setting Conditions for Victory in Iraq-  Attacking General Petraeus’ Combat Action Badge-  Measuring Enthusiasm-  Engaging the [...]

• Gadfly
    7:52 pm on November 20th, 2007 2

The problem comes from the specific criteria to be used when determining when to award the CAB:

c. Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement.

When was Petreaus personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement? Do we have generals in the field firing machine guns at insurgents? Did Petraeus personally engage the enemy?

• GI
    3:11 am on November 24th, 2007 3

You get awarded the CAB by having a mortar land nearby. I know people awarded the CAB because they were on camp in Kuwait when a PATRIOT shot down a SCUD a shrapnel landed nearby. Other people received CABs for being on a FOB when mortars landed on it.

If you read my prior posting you will see that Petraeus was present during both mortar strikes and sniper fire making him perfectly eligible to wear the CAB.

Once again you have people with no experience with the military trying to pass judgment on something they know nothing about. The CAB is very easily issued and the majority of soldiers who go to Iraq receive one, even generals.

• Shepherd Allen
    10:01 pm on July 3rd, 2008 4

All sounds good on the General's CAB, but like that of the CIB, are General Officers authorized these badges, if – in spite of them being retroactive, the action/timeframe they're citing is during when they were/are a General Officer?

• Jim Todd
    7:29 pm on July 7th, 2008 5

I was in Tikrit and Ba'Qubah in 2003. During that time I was shot at by snipers, ambushed by RPG's, attacked by an IED and I have pictures. I have submitted 3 requests for the CAB and all have been denied.

• shattered
    7:49 pm on July 7th, 2008 6

You are sounding like John Kerry.

• silentgrayfellow
    10:29 am on August 13th, 2008 7

Jim Todd, if you had stars on your hat you'd have gotten that CAB. I am a recently retired Iraq veteran (1st Cav)–I know what I'm talking about.

• Macgrul
    3:03 am on December 10th, 2009 8

Yeah, just because someone questions a general for getting a badge for being in combat does not make them patriotic. How on earth does a general participate in combat?? (Plausible, but highly unlikley). I know for the CIB, you have to return fire with your personnel weapon, so i really doubt Petreaus was under fire and fired back. I think he is a load of shit because by 2001, he was a brigadier general and they are highly unlikley to not be in the field.

• Retired GI
    3:48 am on December 10th, 2009 9

Yes, you do know. I was with the 1st CAV @ Camp Taji.

E7 and above were awarded Broze stars if the didn't F-up during deployment.

Below E7? Thanks for coming and here is your (mission complete OIF2) Coin.

I didn't get anything at retirement for my 20 years. To be honest, I was so pissed at the CAV, I couldn't wait to retire.

And before anyone starts bitchin about me whining, I was and am proud of my service and what I did. You don't do it for the little ribbons and medals.

But when rank is the reason your awarded them—it's worng.

And when you serve your 20, I think I have a right to bitch about being forgotten.

CAB? I was SOG when my guards began takin fire. Drove out to assist and with QRF coordinated with air support to distroy the enemy. CAB? please. I was told that Iraq would be a bullit for my retirement award! Not that I received one.

What did the General do again?

What is the justification for a "General" receiving a CAB?

• Retired GI
    12:14 pm on December 10th, 2009 10

Don't know about the "load", but I would be VERY interested in hearing how he "earned" a CAB.

• Retired 1SG
    3:19 pm on June 23rd, 2010 11

In 2003 GEN Petreaus was the Commanding General of the 101st ABN during our initial assault in the war. During this assault the Division CP as well as elements of the DISCOM were engaged in direct combat with enemy forces. I personally know that when he visited my Battalion, he was present and under fire on several occassions while walking patrols with companies and platoons. By regulation without need of clarification he is eligible for this award retroactively. It has nothing to do with recent combat activity. Anyone that served with the GEN when he was a Division Commander knows he was very hands on and always present on the frontlines. I retired with 23 yrs 5 months and 6 days. My son served in 1st Cav for 3 combat deployments before he left the service and he had the same view of the Cav that seems to permeate here. For clarification, you do not have to engage the enemy to be awarded the CIB. They have to be assigne d to a unit considered to be in armed combat with the enemy. Actual firing of your weapon is not a requirement. FYI the GEN has never worn a CIB nor is he authorized. As an infantry 1SG, I can tell you that it comes down to the discretion of the Brigade/Regimental Commander as to who gets this award.

• Tom Langley
    4:48 pm on June 23rd, 2010 12

I'm not going to comment about whether General Petreaus is authorized his Combat Action Badge because I don't know but I will say that often times soldiers are given awards that they do not deserve. During the 1991 Gulf war I was stationed at the US Army Hospital in Landstuhl, Germany. There was a SFC who had returned from southwest Asia who matter of factly told me that the members of his unit has received bronze stars & that all his unit had done was sit in the desert. I think that is a disgrace. I wish that President Obama had just given an a$$ chewing to General McCrystal & let him maintain his command but I can certainly understand why General McCrystal was relieved, he did exercise poor judgement in letting his staff talk with the Rolling Stone reporters. General Petreaus is an excellent commander & leader of troops. He certainly got the job done in Iraq.

• Matt
    6:47 pm on June 23rd, 2010 13

GI says it's very easy to get a CAB, but I would say that depends upon who's gonna be writing the 638 for you. I was in a convoy of MRAPs out east of Baqubah near the Iranian border and the vehicle immediately to our front hit an old AT mine. Our boss (rightfully so) only wrote the guys in the vehicle that rolled over the mine up for CABs, even though our vehicle was 50 meters behind theirs. On the other hand, I've seen people awarded it because they were on Anaconda while mortars were imcoming. If you know the size of Balad, you'll get where I'm going with this.Let's be honest, the CAB is probably the most in a long line of awards being prostituted out.

I'll vet what retired1SG says. I was with 2/502 in OIF I and Petraeus was out and about from the berm north to Mosul, so I have no doubt that he "was being engaged" at some point.

11:27 pm on June 23rd, 2010 14

I wonder if the MoveOn and Daily Kos loons will be attacking General Petraeus now like they did back when he took over the war effort in 2007 with false stories like this one?

• Joe Bloe
    4:31 pm on November 14th, 2012 15

still sounds like they designed a psudeo-CIB (retroactive dates inclusive, just) for a particular general to wear who lacked one. If he was entitled to wear the CIB, that should be the award he wears….so he must not be entitled to wear the CIB. The CAB sounds like a psuedo-combat award.

• Theodore Morris
    10:15 am on November 16th, 2012 16

1968 NAM
    When my company commander had his ticket punched (6 months in the field) he was given a SLVER STAR. I received 3 bronze stars(one with a V), the other two I received for, I guess, for showing up? I wonder if my commanding medical officer in the rear with the gear, got a COMBAT MEDICAL BADGE?

• Ole Tanker
    9:26 pm on November 16th, 2012 17

Tom Langly # 12.

In reference to the Desert Storm Vet, I would be skepticle of his motives for making such statements, maybe disgruntled PO’d, just sour grapes etc.

My unit in Desert Storm was engaged and credited with 11 confirmed Armored Vehicle kills, just Southeast of the 73 Easting action. All Tank Commanders got Bronze Stars, 2 with “V” device and the Company Commander a Silver Star.

Our Company was the only one in the Battalion involved in this action because we were detached to support an Infantry unit.

Therefore I could see an E7 in another BN Company complaining about our awards in a way like this.

When I PCS’d stateside I was with many Desert Storm Veteran Tankers, I was the only one with a Bronze Star.

So in a way I can see how they were, and weren’t handed out like candy. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bad Behavior has blocked 30047 access attempts in the last 7 days.