I said last year when the first operational control delay was announced that the Korean government was just buying more time to create further delays and this obvious assessment has been proven correct:
Seoul is minded to ask the United States to delay the transfer of wartime operational control of Korean troops, slated for Apr. 17, 2012, until a later year. It remains to be seen whether the request has a chance of finding a hearing.
After a briefing from the Defense Ministry on Tuesday, president-elect Lee Myung-bak’s Transition Committee said the new government should reconsider the transfer of troop control after consultations with the U.S., given security threats from the North Korean nuclear problem and the Southâ€™s limited defense capabilities. [Chosun Ilbo]
The incoming Lee Myung-bak is focusing on jump starting the Korean economy and build his canal which will take a huge amount of capitol to do.Â Billions of dollars will be needed to upgrade the ROK military to take over operational control which is something President Roh despite his rhetoric had no intention of ever doing and President-elect Lee Myung-bak has no intention of doing as well.Â
Why pay the billions needed to buy upgraded equipment and capabilities when you can spend less than a billion year to fund USFK with the vast majority of the money going to subsidize Korean employees who work for USFK, while America in return provides first rate military technology and capabilities to ensure the national security of the country with?Â