Avatar of GI KoreaBy on March 19th, 2008 at 11:25 am

The Heroes of the Korean War Archive

» by in: Korean War

For those that enjoy reading Korean War history, below I have consolidated the links to my on going series of Heroes of the Korean War. The Korean War is filled with many great heroes, but due to little public interest in the war, the stories of their heroics has largely gone unnoticed. Here at the ROK Drop the leadership, bravery, and sacrifices of the brave servicemembers who fought in the Korean War does not go unnoticed. I hope through my on going series to educate my readers about these heroes especially the foreign soldiers that you hear nothing about, that served so bravely during the Korean War.

I have organized the list by year and have noted the country, the unit the hero served with, and which battle the hero was most notably fought in. Some heroes fought in multiple battles of note, but for purposes of this list I noted the battle their participation was most recognized for. So take a few moments and read the stories, if you haven’t already, of these brave men who served so notably during the Korean War. Finally if you have any recommendations for future additions to my on going list of Heroes of the Korean War feel free to add the suggestion in the comments section. Thanks.

Heroes of the Korean War:

1950:
Lieutenant Colonel Charles B. Smith (USA), Commander 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, Taskforce Smith Battle

Major General William Dean (USA), Commander 24th Infantry Division, Battle of Taejon

Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud Jr. (USA), Squad Leader 2-19 Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, Battle of the Chongchon River

Captain Charles M. Bussey (USA), Commander 77th Engineer Combat Company, Firefight at Yechon

General Tahsin Yazici (Turkey), Commander 1st Turkish Brigade, Battle of Kunu-ri

Ensign Jesse L. Brown (USA), US Navy 32nd Fighter Squadron, Chosin Reservoir

Lieutenant Colonel William W. Harris (USA), Commander 65th Infantry Regiment, Chosin Reservoir

Lieutenant Colonel Russell Blaisdell (USA), Chaplain US Air Force, Operation Kiddy Car Airlift

1951:

Captain Lewis L. Millett (USA), Commander E Co. 27th Infantry Regiment, Battle of Bayonet Hill.

Colonel Paul Freeman (USA), Commander 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, Battle of Chipyong-ni

Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Monclar (France), Commander French Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, Battle of Chipyong-ni

Lieutenant Colonel J.R. Stone (Canada), Commander Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, Battle of the Kapyong

Lieutenant Colonel Dionisio Ojeda (Philippines), Commander Philippines Expeditionary Force To Korea (PEFTOK), Battle of the Yultong

Private First Class Anthony T. Kaho’ohanohano (USA), 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, Battle of Chup’a-ri

1952:
Brigadier General Haydon Boatner (USA), Commander Geoje POW Camp

Colonel Young-oak Kim (USA), Commander 1-31 Infantry Regiment, First Asian-American Battalion Commander

1953:
Lieutenant Colonel George Koumanakos
(Greece), Commander Sparta Battalion, Battle of Outpost Harry

Post-Korean War:

Lieutenant General Subayya Kadenera Thimayya (India), Commander of the Neutral Nations Repatriation Commission (NNRC), Operation Big Switch

Lieutenant Commander Lloyd Bucher (USA), Commander USS Pueblo, USS Pueblo Incident

Tags:
  • Phil Sheridan
    9:50 pm on March 19th, 2008 1

Captain Herman G. Felhoelter (USA) – Catholic Chaplain with 19th Infantry Regiment.

• GI Korea
    12:31 am on March 20th, 2008 2

Phil thanks for the recommendation. I will have to read up on him. Thanks.

• Dave in Songtan
    5:58 am on March 20th, 2008 3

GI, I love these pieces. Please keep up the great work.

How about breaking with tradition and doing one on Col Francis Gabreski, USAF? He was a WWII US Army Air Force P-47 Ace and Korean War F-86 ace as well as commander of the 51 Fighter Interceptor Wing (now known as the 51 Fighter Wing of Osan AB).

6:21 am on March 20th, 2008 4

Thanks Dave you have given me another homework assignment to look up Colonel Gabreski. You are right I should do a posting on Air Force hero considering I have already done so many on ground pounders.

• CPT KIM
    4:22 am on March 21st, 2008 5

GI,

How about story about Korean-American hero COL Young Oak Kim who was a major during Korean War as Infantry Battalion Commander. (First Asian to achieve that position.)

10:11 am on March 21st, 2008 6

CPT Kim, great suggestion. I have heard of him before but I haven't read up on him. I will definitely check him out.

• CPT KIM
    8:40 pm on March 21st, 2008 7

GI,

If you can read Hangul, COL Kim's biography just got published in Korea. "YoungUk (Hero): Kim Young Oak" ISBN 9788989675525 http://www.ypbooks.co.kr/ypbooks/WebHome/specdm/s

I have not seen any English translation on this book yet.

• ROK Drop — Keeping the USFK Gravy Train Rolling Since 1950.
    10:24 am on April 1st, 2008 8

[...] Recognizing Heroes of the Korean War [...]

• Pops
    1:47 pm on April 28th, 2008 9

GI,

Some other aviators of note are Ensign Jesse L. Brown, USN, VF-32 F4U Corsair pilot lost at Chosin Reservoir on 04 December 1950.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/jesse-leroy-brown http://www.homeofheroes.com/brotherhood/hudner.ht

Also interesting is USAF Maj Dean Hess and the Bout I detachment, who trained up ROKAF pilots in the F-51 Mustang, and later Maj Hess helped get Korean orphans to safety at Cheju Do. There was a movie titled "Battle Hymn" about his wartime experience.

10:51 pm on April 28th, 2008 10

Pops, great suggestions and I appreciate the links. I will definitely check them out. Thanks.

• CPT KIM
    3:34 am on May 19th, 2008 11

GI,

I just bought a book on COL Kim's biography "YoungWoong (hero) Kim Youngoak". ISBN 89-89675-52-9. It is listed as 18,000 won but it costed me $32 in Korea Town book store in DC area. The author is Korean-American writer, Woosung Han.

BTW, it is written in Hangul. At this time there is no English version of this book. I might ask Japanese American Veteran group to see if they can publish this book in English. Here is publisher's website.

• GI Korea
    3:43 am on May 19th, 2008 12

CPT Kim thanks. I definitely plan on writing something up on him. I have COL Kim added to my que of Korean War heroes I plan on writing about. It is just a matter of having the time available to research and write the postings.

• Remembering the Korean War in Pictures - Part 1
    9:35 am on June 25th, 2008 13

[...] is the 58th anniversary of the start of the Korean War that began on June 25, 1950 when North Korean tanks rolled across the 38th parallel and started the [...]

• Remembering the Soldiers of Taskforce Smith
    7:20 am on July 5th, 2008 14

[...] the soldiers of Taskforce Smith. I highly recommend everyone read my prior posting on one of the Heroes of the Korean War, Lieutenant Colonel Charles B. Smith that shows the heroism these soldiers displayed despite much [...]

• colonel j p carne - Dogpile Web Search
    8:51 am on September 18th, 2008 15

[...] major. … http://www.heritagepursuit.com/Knox/KnoxFile3.htm • Found on Yahoo! Search Recognizing Heroes of the Korean War Lieutenant Colonel James P. Carne (UK), Commander Gloucestershire Battalion, Battle of the Imjim. [...]

• Theresa Arant Kimmel
    12:44 pm on September 21st, 2008 16

I recently found some articles regarding my uncle James F. Madden, Chaplain in the 32nd infantry. Fascinating stories of his heroism. Ever heard of him?

1:11 pm on September 21st, 2008 17

Pops @9, thanks for putting up that link to Hess. Nice to know that somebody reads my historical site.

But looking for heroes in the Korean War? There are hundreds of thousands of them from all the countries that participated. For example, read some of the after-action excerpts in a book about the initial North Korean advances and having soldiers tell of their accounts of bazooka duds bouncing off the tanks and still standing their ground. Geez!!!

GI Korea, can we get more hero stories about the dogface soldiers — the guys in the trenches? Maybe they didn't win the Medal of Honor, but damn each of them has a story.

12:51 am on September 22nd, 2008 18

Theresa I have not heard his story. Feel free to drop me e-mail about your uncle's story and I will check it out.

Kalani I am trying to list veterans most people have probably never heard of. Currently there is only one Medal of Honor winner on the list, General Dean. I have been slacking on adding people because typing up the postings are time consuming and I have been extremely busy lately. I will definitely probably in the next month or two start adding a few more names to the list.

• alex valena
    7:11 am on October 6th, 2008 19

what about Dellerd Walton. i waant to now more about him. :?: :wink: :oops: :cool: :mrgreen:

12:45 pm on October 6th, 2008 20

I have never heard of Dellerd Walton? Who is that? :?:

• Kevin Quinn
    5:22 am on May 3rd, 2009 21

Theresa, I am writing a book about a series of hill battles forught during the Korean War in the fall of 1952. My father was in the 31st Infantry Regiment and fought at Triangle Hill. I learned about your uncle, Father Madden, from several veterans of the 32nd Regiment whom I unterviewed several years ago. Father Madden was very well like and quite a guy. I tried to learn more about him, but had a difficult time tracking down family members. I even called the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for help. I would be glad to share with you some information and photos relevant to him that IO have gathered, and would like to learn more about him. I have an interesting newspoaper article about him retrieving wounded from Pork Chop Hill during that battke that I think you will find fascinating. Please feel free to call or email me any time. Thanks, Kevin Quinn..kquinn@wyeriver.net…410-456-2376

• Mike Thomas
    1:54 pm on January 26th, 2010 22

No pertinent comment.

Just came from a memorial service for Gene Martin, a Korean War Vet, and learned he recieved four bronze stars and a silver star, while serving in Korea.

I never knew this, and am a close family friend. His son found out invertantly (and recently) while looking through his father's documents.

I don't know if painful memories or modesty kept him from ever mentioning his war record. Either way, he served as a admiral role model for many in his rural community.

We could use more like him in this generation.

• Laura Harrison
    3:12 am on February 17th, 2010 23

If there is anybody out there that fought in the Korean War in 1951-1954 and can give me any information or pictures on Robert Lee Truesdale. He is my grandfather and I was interested in finding out just what his role was or different stories about times he had in the war. At the time he fought in the war he would hae been between 20 and 24yrs of age. Please if u can give me any information it would be greatly appreicated. Or if u can give me any other ways to find this type of information. thank you for your time. Laura

• Dexter Thomas
    8:03 am on February 21st, 2010 24

There are so many more you can mention here its not even funny:

Lt. Col George A. Davis. Ace in WWII and 4th ranking ace in Korea. Posthumous MOH recepient for protecting UN fighter-bombers from Mig-15s 1952

Sergeant Cornelius Charlton a black MOH recepient (posthumously).

General Matthew Ridgway, the man who turned the US 8th Army around after it had been driven headlong out of Korea by the Chinese.

Colonel John "Iron Mike" Michaelis, CO of the 27th Infantry Regiment, the Wolfhounds.

Major Henry Huth, 8th Hussars, Imjin River 1951.

The list goes on and on.

• Lei Kong
    7:49 pm on June 22nd, 2010 25

My father told me about a Korean civilian who had crawled out onto a field alone with a stretcher during a fierce gun battle during the Korean war (around 1950 or 1951) and rescued an injured American captain. The battle was so heated that no one else would go. Originally from N. Korea, the Korean man was known simply as "Oh-San." He had taught math in Japan, and since he was also fluent in English, Oh-San was subsequently attached by the captain to the 2nd Division as a translator.

Oh-San never told my father about the rescue which had taken place before Dad's arrival there; another soldier who had been there shared the story with my father.

If there were a way for me to locate Oh-San, I would. Time is growing shorter, and my father speaks well and often of his old friend Oh-San. At the very least, I hope that the full story of this act of selfless bravery can be discovered and told. (Thank you!)

• rj randolph
    1:27 pm on September 26th, 2010 26

sgt emmit l. randolph, company c, 14 oct 1952 (triangle hill)My uncle received The distinguished service cross In Korea

• rj randolph
    1:30 pm on September 26th, 2010 27

Can anybody tell me how I can find out more about him

Where can I look and what can I do most of my family has passed away

• rj randolph
    1:34 pm on September 26th, 2010 28

sgt emmit l. randolph, company c, 14 oct 1952 (triangle hill)

He was form North Carolina (Burnsville) PS I would really appreciate the help

1:48 pm on September 26th, 2010 29

SGT Emmit L. Randolph, Company C, 31st Infantry Regiment – 14 Oct 1952 (Triangle Hill)

To obtain records:

• alan c bailey
    6:24 am on October 24th, 2010 30

my father was charles andrew Bailey was with the gloucesters and captured at imjim he spent 3 years as a prisoner of war, he escaped several times but recaptured, he is in the book NO RICE FOR REBELS he was a jeweler and made compasses for fellow escapees,has anyone heard of him???

• Alice Cusimano
    3:53 pm on May 4th, 2011 31

My name is Alice Cusimano.
    I am looking for information regarding my father. His name is Frank Sangiorgio. He was a member of the 25th Infantry of the 27th Regiment in 1952 to 1953. My siblings and I are trying to put together a biography of his life for an 80th Birthday gift. He is very reluctant to discuss any of the events of the war with us. His feelings are and have always been he did what he had to do. If anyone knew him or has any information that could help us, please contact me at dymdgrl4@aol.com. Thank you for any help you could provide me with. Thank you all for keeping this country safe and defending it’s honor.
    Alice Cusimano

• Hi
    8:16 am on October 17th, 2011 32

:mrgreen: :grin: :smile: :lol:

• Charles Russell House
    4:22 am on November 11th, 2011 33

Looking for men that served with my uncle to complete research I’m doing. His name was Russell J.”Moose” House died in battle at Inchon Korea Sept. 18, 1950. He was awarded the Navy Cross and is mentioned in a book “The Darkest Summer”.

• Daniel Lobb
    9:30 pm on November 25th, 2011 34

I would like to nominate Cpl. Leo Major for his incredible action at Hill 355 in November, 1951.
    This strategic hill dominated the surrounding areas, and although held by a full division of US Army forces, was lost in a mass attack of some 40,000 Chinese soldiers.
    This loss jeapardized the neighbouring hill position held by Col. Dextrase and the Royal 22nd Montreal Regiment. Dextrase assigned Cpl. Major, a famous scout in WWII, to lead a group of 20 men to recapture Hill 355, now defended by some 15,000 Chinese soldiers, in a night assault. The men wore running shoes to disguise their approach, and each man was armed with a Sten gun.
    The men passed through the Chinese lines without being discovered, and opened fire at midnight, gaining control of the heights by 1 AM. The Chinese were surprised that the attack originated from within their own positions.
    Cpl. Major and his men held Hill 355 against fierce counterattacks for three and a half days. During this time, Major refused orders to retreat, and called in assisting mortar fire to help break up the massed counterattacks. US forces were able to reorganize and relieve his position.
    Cpl. Major received his second high level decoration for this action.

• Jack Prescott
    7:54 am on February 23rd, 2012 35

The family would like to have any more information available about my father.
    Prescott, Coleman Lee (posthumously)
    Captain Coleman L. Prescott, O512536, Field Artillery, United States Army, a member of Headquarters Battery, 13th Field Artillery, 24th Infantry Division, is awarded the Silver Star (posthumously) for gallantry in action on 16 July 1950 near the Kum River, Korea. Captain Coleman, Battalion Intelligence Officer, was manning the Battalion Observation Post during an attack by the enemy. All communications with the firing batteries, except Captain Coleman Prescott’s radio, had been disrupted. When the Infantry withdrew, Captain Coleman Prescott remained in the Observation Post directing the fire of the Battalion. His position was overrun. When last seen, Captain Coleman Prescott was still radioing fire orders to the firing batteries. By his courage and devotion to duty, Captain Coleman Prescott brought great credit to himself and the military service. GO 78, 8 Aug 1950. Entered service from Lawton, OK. (Captain Prescott was later listed as killed in action.)

• John W.
    7:31 pm on March 25th, 2012 36

While I do not doubt that those whom you’ve elected to add to your list of “Heroes” are all well deserving of the designation, one would get the impression that you are perhaps unaware that the U.S. Marine Corps actually sent a trooper or two into that country.

4:33 am on March 26th, 2012 37

@36 – This is an on going series that I will eventually get to adding some USMC personnel. It takes a lot of time to do these postings which right now is in short supply. Thanks for reading.

• Anonymous
    4:04 pm on April 1st, 2012 38

Ted Duncan also fought in this war and survived. I am proud to call him my grandfather.

• Shelby
    5:57 pm on October 10th, 2012 39

LTC Don Faith. Was the 1-32 IN commander. Was killed in the CHOSIN reservoir. He was one that was in the trenches with his men and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his valiant efforts and bravery.

• robert mathews
    3:40 pm on December 19th, 2012 40

re charles Bailey,my father bob Mathews whose story was told in the book no rice for rebels,was a friend of his during their imprisonment,and later in civillian life,my mother would like to know what happened to him as they lost touch??

• alan Bailey
    2:03 pm on December 20th, 2012 41

re charles Bailey. hi robert my father died in 1980 he had moved to cornwall and seperated from his family in 1965. I seem to remember visiting your family in the early 60s. I was too young to understand at the time, he never spoke of what he had been through so I really did not know much, It would be good to keep in touch if you are ok with that,

• robert mathews
    3:41 pm on December 20th, 2012 42

re charles Bailey,Alan thanks for your reply. I would like to stay in touch. my number is 01490 450370

• Top News Stories Korean War Chaplain Pow Awarded Posthumous Medal Of Honor Stars And Stripes | Top News Stories
    9:21 pm on April 11th, 2013 43

[...] rokdrop.com [...]

• jason bailey
    10:37 am on November 13th, 2013 44

re.charles bailey hi I an the grand son of Auvin Talmadge bailey who had a brother Charles Bailey do u no if ur Charles is the same one.

• alan Bailey
    1:02 pm on November 13th, 2013 45

hi jason nice to hear from you I dont think you are related as far as I know my father charles andrew Bailey did have brothers but they were Ken and Dennis I dont recognise the name, hope you find who you are looking for,

Bad Behavior has blocked 35357 access attempts in the last 7 days.