USFK Curfew Will Remain in Place

» by in: USFK

If the curfew was going to change this was going to be the time to do it since General Bell is changing command next week and would not have to deal with the repercussions of the decision.  Unfortunately it looks like a curfew change will not be coming any time soon:

Despite saying in January that he planned to ease the curfew for higher-ranking servicemembers within two months, soon-to-retire U.S. Forces Korea commander Gen. B.B. Bell said Saturday he will not change the curfew, because U.S. troops in South Korea have a “wartime mission.”

Bell said the 1-to-5 a.m. weekend curfew protects troops and helps them stay ready to fight. On weekdays, troops are required to stay indoors between midnight and 5 a.m. [Stars & Stripes]

The “wartime mission” is interesting considering General Bell had this to say about serving in Korea back in January:

This is not a combat zone over here. This is a modern, first-world country, Bell said at the end of a daylong visit to Camp Walker and Camp Henry. It is unacceptable in the U.S. military today to have this kind of policy in place and in any way condone it.

The policy General Bell was referring to was in regards to the number of non-command sponsored tours in Korea, but he admits Korea is not a combat zone and if the “wartime mission” is so important then why is pushing to have families come to Korea that would interfere with the “wartime mission” a lot more then a curfew change?

General Bell goes on about other reasons to keep the curfew:

“This curfew is hardly some kind of great infringement on the liberties of our servicemembers to go out and enjoy the great culture of this country,” he said during an interview with Stars and Stripes, his last before he returns to the States next week to retire June 9. “It simply says there comes a point where you’re supposed to go to bed.”  (…)

“I would reject fundamentally that this is a hardship on the force, and it never has been. This is not an egregious curfew that somehow keeps people on our post 24 hours a day — far from it,” he said. “It simply says for four or five hours a night, you ought to be asleep in your domicile.”

If this was really an issue is USFK going to implement a bed check policy to ensure all servicemembers are in their beds with the lights out by 1AM?  Has General Bell been in a barracks at 1AM?  If he has he would undoubtedly see that there are plenty of people awake at 1AM and (gasp!) even after 1AM if you can believe it and none of them are thinking about the “wartime mission”.  Instead they are doing things like socializing and playing video games all night.  Shocking stuff.

The curfew change talk first came up in January and then was still being discussed in April.  So what has changed since then that would cause commanders to not support a curfew change?  Can anyone say Cows Gone Wild?  USFK has had to issue warnings to soldiers to watch out for anti-US groups provoking incidents with them as we have seen in the past because of the US beef issue.  I think it is pretty clear that preventing incidents between servicemembers and South Koreans is of more concern with the curfew then any “wartime mission”, just that no one wants to admit it.

My opinion on this is that USFK should keep the curfew, but bring back the Warrior Pass system that was in effect before 9/11 happened.  The curfew hours would remain the same but each unit had a pre-determined number of Warrior Passes that could be handed out by the unit First Sergeant to servicemembers he/she felt were doing a good job.  This allows the First Sergeant to only give passes to those he/she feels is deserving of one and not people likely to get in trouble out in the ville.  The Warrior Pass also has the added benefit of creating competition within the ranks to get one of the passes for the weekend from the First Sergeant which ultimately means increased performance.

These seems like a fair compromise to ending this curfew nonsense with a policy that has a precedent of working before.  Wasn’t the “wartime mission” before 2001 the same as it is now when the Warrior Passes were handed out?  What has changed?  Like I said before we all know the answer, but no one wants to admit it.

Tags: ,
  • sesame seed
    3:13 am on June 2nd, 2008 1

Again, Bravo to the Warrior Pass idea!

I always had the impression that Bell was a strait shooter. Even if I disagreed with some of his policies, at least he was consistent, but this…this issue is like some sort of John Kerry rerun. He just waffles on the issue.

That whole,"ought to be asleep" bit is sooooo weak. By playing the wartime mission card and then not calling it a hardship. He gets to keep his curfew and not give the hazard pay for a war zone. Weak.

Attention all servicemembers! You are not adults and cannot be expected to act like them! Instead of issuing an order to make leadership responsible, like a leader should, I will make you carry a battle-buddy card, along with the 20 other cards you must carry, in your wallet. Even if you've proven consistently to be reliable and trustworthy, like an adult, even if you've served twice in the sand, I must hover over you and micromanage you so that I can get a good OER and cinch that last medal. :mad:

• Tired of it
    3:20 am on June 2nd, 2008 2

It's simple: Not a war zone when USFK needs it to not be, and a war zone when USFK wants it to be.

This is "1984" in a sense. "Today we increase your chocolate rations from 1.8 grams to 1.4 grams." Hooray! Party in the streets, it increased!

So, just quit fact checking and focusing on the past. Believe and only remember the last 5 seconds of anything USFK says.

• ChickenHead
    3:23 am on June 2nd, 2008 3

General Bell sure is insulting to his troops… although most of them don't seem to be smart enough to catch it.

"It simply says there comes a point where you're supposed to go to bed."

Shocking.

Curfew is about giving GI Joe a bedtime? Where he is "supposed to go to bed"?

I stand speechless.

General Bell should be punched in the mouth for saying that… no… wait… slapped like a girl.

I guess, at 1am, workers on the night shift should return to their "domicile" and "go to bed" "for four or five hours" in compliance with General Bell's Bedtime.

If USFK "leadership" keeps telling me that American soldiers are stupid and undisciplined children that need a bed time, I'm going to start believing it.

• GI Korea
    3:55 am on June 2nd, 2008 4

I have to admit as well I was surprised by the bed time comment from General Bell as well. He has been for the most part a straight shooter but on this issue he can't come up with a good answer for curfew when we all know why the curfew is in place; to prevent incidents between Koreans and GIs.

I think he was seriously thinking about changing the curfew before he left because he wouldn't have been bringing it up to begin with if he wasn't serious about changing it. However, I think that Cows Gone Wild is what ended any hope of changing the curfew.

• Mark
    4:01 am on June 2nd, 2008 5

I think he probably talked to his command sponsored generals, field grades, and sergeants major and they probably told him curfew was the greatest thing since sliced bread raising the drinking age to 21.

• Robo
    1:00 pm on June 2nd, 2008 6

What about the clubs and restaraunts that are open after curfew on base? And now we only need 4-5 hours a sleep a night? Even if I did drink until 1 a.m I will not be waking up at 5 a.m. Then again some local club/bars are open till 6.am….hmmmm

• Heart
    1:25 pm on June 2nd, 2008 7

Because we need the sleep? Thanks, Sir.

I hated the "Battle Buddy" policy more than I did the curfew policy. I liked my freedom, and I didn't want to wait around for someone, or have someone wait around for me. I used to ignore the "buddy" policy, during my first tour in Korea.

I follow the policy, now that I'm married, because the wife is usually with me wherever I go :???: .

2:14 pm on June 2nd, 2008 8

I dunno. I'm proud of B.B.. He pulled one right out of Leon's old playbook.

Such a shame for a respected general to end his career in such a lame manner. Too bad, tsk tsk.

Or perhaps he was never the straight shooter he was portrayed/imagined to be. It would have been more acceptable to say: "Cause I'm the General and I said so."

Oh well, almost bedtime for Bozo Bell.

• Nomad
    3:38 am on June 3rd, 2008 9

"he admits Korea is not a combat zone and if the "wartime mission" is so important then why is pushing to have families come to Korea that would interfere with the "wartime mission" a lot more then a curfew change?"

Bingo.

The curfew may not be so much of an infringment on anyone's liberites but it sure as hell is an insult and a slap in the face of the majority, who are responsible, mature individuals.

• Bones
    5:36 am on June 3rd, 2008 10

Who's to say it's his call? it might not be.

CNN and politics kinda screwed things up.

Don't forget DoS

• US must leave!
    6:36 am on June 3rd, 2008 11

You freaking retarded mofos! Why don't you pricks demand your damn government to withdraw your troops out of South Korea, like you hate this place so freakin much, then pack your shit and get out of here. Put in your papers for a duty station in Germany or Japan!

All GIs must get the hell off South Korea.

• shattered
    6:41 am on June 3rd, 2008 12

"US must leave" You are a kyopo right? Lol..

• Pete
    7:14 am on June 3rd, 2008 13

Actually, the curfew produces income for the old soldiers home – go figure.

7:21 am on June 3rd, 2008 14

Yes. Only a retard could possibly dislike Korea. Sparkling baby!

No one was even mentioning the Koreans in this thread…

…and talking about soldiers being responsible for their own actions…

Good enough for me.

• US must leave!
    7:30 am on June 3rd, 2008 15

No one is forcing you to stay in Korea. Your gonna biatch and whine about Korea, then why not help yourself by…. packing…. and leaving…. !

Who's forcing you to stay? Nobody! In fact, Koreans want you to LEAVE!

Chinese are going to attack us? That's our problem, not yours.

There is always Japan, you freaking losers.

8:11 am on June 3rd, 2008 16

Yep. We are losers because we find fault with a country that touts itself as a "world leader" yet you can't flush toilet paper down a crapper.

Unfortunately, the world and its realities are bigger than you or I. Some of us, military and civilian, are here to defend you whether YOU like it or not. If YOU don't want us here YOU need to change YOUR government. :lol:

Have a nice day and find somewhere else to troll.

10:04 am on June 3rd, 2008 17

US must leave!, I have a pretty high tolerance for idiots but you are quite possibly the greatest that has visited this site.

I don't mind difference in opinion on the site as long as it is done respectfully and you add something to the discussion. This site would be pretty boring if everyone agreed with each other. You however add absolutely nothing to the discussions here and are obviously trolling; thus you are officially banned from the site.

• James
    11:04 am on June 3rd, 2008 18

I agree with "US must leave." The US should have never stepped one foot on Korean soil, ever! The US should have let Korea struggle down their own civil war road, just like America did in the 1860's. I don't want one Korean in America either. If fact, I wish every Korean would starve to death just like the 2,000,000 in North Korea did in the 1990's while South Korea stood and watched. Oh yea, don't run your fan at night or you'll die – fertilize your rice with raw human waste, pay W120,000 KRW for 10 oranges, pay some drug addict drunk to teach your kid English and then send them to America to college. Pay W200,000,000 KRW for a $70,000 BMW 7 series. Over pay for American furniture that is made in China. pay the average employee W2,000 KRW per hour to sell over priced crap. Steal food and products from the US Base and then sell them in Namdemun. If you get caught selling beer that has a date on it, you'll be prosecuted under a "poison law". Black market Jonnie Walker Blue scotch to the point where it is removed from the store. How about loosing all your money at one of the several slot machines located throughout the US bases in the ROK. Have your friend put non taxed gas from the US gas station into your W200,000,000 KRW BMW because your a cheap bastard. Help yourself to the lobster dinners at Sables and the Hartel House to the point where no American wants to eat at the place and GEN Bell puts out a message that they need patrons. Bribe someone for a contract so you can steal money from your fellow Korean. Pay someone off so you can play golf at Sungnam. Korea is the asshole of the world and if I could leave, I would be in the first seat on the first vessel leaving this God forsaken shit hole. Why couldn't the North have won like they did in America.

• SnuffyNSniffy
    11:58 am on June 3rd, 2008 19

If only that IP ban would work at the airports around the world. You could stop future Cho Seung Hui, like that loudmouth Korea American before they even get on the plane. THAT WOULD BE FUNNY!!

• EmphaZima
    2:34 pm on June 3rd, 2008 20

Ha! It's policies like this that make me not want to go back there. I'd much rather be deployed to an actual warzone with a real unit than work for a bunch of GOs and Field Grades with logical arguments equivelant to pre-school children ever again. It's unfortunate because overall I liked it there, met good people and experienced some culture but I really do believe that the GOs there were picked from the bottom third of the pool.

• Mark
    2:36 am on June 4th, 2008 21

You guys all have to look at it from the other side of the fence–suppose you were living on post or in a $6,000 per month high-rise luxury apartment off-post, your kids were in school, you work pretty much 9-5, 5 days a week, you drive anywhere you need to go in your POV whenever you want, your wife also has a job so you're pulling in a fat second income…these people make the rules which poor non-command sponsored Joe Snuffy must abide by.

Acquiescence has kept curfew and off-limits in place. Thoreau would have been in Hongdae at 0300 every day of the week. Fight the power.

• General Sharp Takes Command of USFK
    6:24 am on June 6th, 2008 22

[...] should also be noted that outgoing commander General B.B. Bell despite the recent curfew decision was actually a very effective USFK commander who was able to get lots of progress done in regards [...]

• USFK Driving and Curfew Policy Changes Announced
    7:13 am on July 31st, 2008 23

[...] regards to the curfew change, I still like my Warrior Pass idea better but this current policy change is a good compromise that should leave people with few complaints.  [...]

Bad Behavior has blocked 35945 access attempts in the last 7 days.