Sea Shepherd Whale Lies Exposed

» by in: Environment

As everyone knows I have no love for the eco-loon group Sea Shepherd, which continues to be a disgrace to every legitimate environmental movement out there.  Well now this group’s creditability has finally hit rock bottom as their litany of lies has finally been called out.

This great posting from the Shark Divers blog has fully exposed the lies of this group:

Did SSCS fabricate a sperm whale rescue story for Nine News – MSN?

We have talked a lot about Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and their efforts after 31 years to save whales.

While SSCS “devoted” claim their eco org is legitimate and actually saves animals acting as the guardians of wildlife, we maintain they have devolved into little more than a media machine that has gone off the rails, trading your hard won eco dollars for faked press releases and even less credible reality television shows.

SSCS media output has become so abjectly dishonest and fanciful that we’re not surprised many governments and blogs like this one are taking a stance against Wagging the Conservation Dog for continued ineffective eco results.

Shark Divers goes on to show this media article from Nine MSN attributed to Sea Shepherd:

Sea Shepherd members travelled on their ship Steve Irwin to a mass beaching of more than 50 sperm whales on the Tasmania’s northwest coast on January 22 — but they were told their help wasn’t needed despite carrying marine scientists and expert whale-saving equipment on board.

“When we arrived there on the Steve Irwin, we found about eight guys standing around with nothing but a bucket and a hose,” Ms Pearce said. “We asked if we could help and they said, ‘No thanks, we’re fine’.” The crew members claim to have witnessed one man dismembering a dead whale with a chainsaw just metres from another that was still alive, causing the live mammal even more distress and suffering.

However, on a blog posting on the Sea Shepherd site, Shark Diver shows how the Steve Irwin was no where in the vicinity of the whale beaching in Tasmania and the story was made up.

Sea Shepherd clearly lied in the Nine MSN article in order to create another eco-drama along the lines of the eco-loon lies I have pointed out before this group regularly spews in regards to Japanese whaling.  Does everyone remember Sea Shepherd founder Paul Watson’s claims that the Japanese shot him or the fake hostage drama?

These lies are catching up to them though as the Steve Irwin was recently raided by Australian Federal Police to seize evidence against the group.

You can read my thoughts about Japanese whaling here.

Tags: ,
  • Whales First!
    10:34 am on March 7th, 2009 1

:shock: I think it's a fair assumption to say SSCS is not a direct action group it is a direct media group. They fabricate any eco story they want, feeding the 24/7 media machine "raw eco meat" and the media machine(with a nod and a wink)post it.

Because the major media has to sell adverts they will not the the gate keepers to fake eco media for donor dollars, that is also not their job.

Blogs like this one have to. Kudos for posting and pointing out more fake news from SSCS and Paul Watson.

FYI:The Whale Wars stuff they pulled off the Irwin will blow SSCS out of the water in two weeks when the story of what they were doing out there comes out. You think this Nine MSN thing was shady?

• James
    2:25 pm on March 8th, 2009 2

Glad someone is on this. I read the same article when it came out and thought this can't be right!

The spin coming from SSCS is admirable. When the media runs with their stories as they tell them SSCS loves the media. When they get caught in a whale lie, they blame the media for it.

Keep up the good work.

• superdude
    12:19 am on May 16th, 2009 3

hey, just be cause the ship wasn't there dosn't mean any thing. there tons of sea seaperd members that arn't crew, and lots of them are in austrailia. p.s. there doing a hell of a lot more then green peace!

• Lemmy
    5:00 am on May 16th, 2009 4

What lies are members of Sea Shepard telling? I want to know.

12:16 pm on May 16th, 2009 5

Did you bother to read the posting?

• superdude
    6:28 am on July 2nd, 2009 6

none, none at all. the japs however… i wish i had a penny for every lie they tell. id be richer then bill gates if i donated half of it!

• Lemmy
    9:01 am on July 2nd, 2009 7

GI, I read the posting and I want to know what lies they are telling. I take it that you don't know yourself as you can not point out one of their lies.

I want to believe, trust me. But when I see a Jap whaling ship harvesting whale meat and the crew holding signs that read "we are conducting scientific research" what am I to believe – there conducting scientific research? Only stupid people would believe they are conducting research. Or better yet, maybe you can find the results of the research they are conducting and post it here on the ROK drop.

The SS conducts direct action operations for a cause they believe in because sometimes nasty letters don't really do too much (Please insert the Hans Brix video from Team America, World Police here). I can think of a few others that wrote a nasty letter about 240 years ago and then they had to take direct action.

whale meat does look like it would be pretty tasty

Please insert the Hans Brix video from Team America, World Police here

• Lemmy
    9:14 am on July 2nd, 2009 8

I almost forgot Shark Diver means "never influences a story to get their point across" eehh I thought that what Sea Shepherd meant?

5:32 pm on July 2nd, 2009 9

Sea Shepherd regularly lies. You can start with the claim in this posting where they claim the Steve Irwin showed up to help beached whales even though it was no where in the vicinity. The hostage drama was there most obvious lie since they intentionally boarded the ship to plant a tracking device. The lies go on and on but for them they believe the lies are for the greater good and the media keeps repeating them for Sea Shepherd.

• Chris
    4:52 pm on October 29th, 2009 10

There's an ample list of Paul Watson/S.S. lies at the website SeaShepherdLies.com

• Chris
    4:53 pm on October 29th, 2009 11

If you truly don't believe Paul Watson is a liar, check out the site at SeaShepherdLies.com

5:58 am on October 30th, 2009 12

Isn't boarding a ship under way at sea, uninvited, technically piracy? I suspect the master of a vessel at sea, in international waters, has a great deal of latitude in dealing with intruders. These guys might consider themselves lucky they are still breathing.

6:01 am on October 30th, 2009 13

This guy was so radical they kicked him out of Green Peace. They even use it as a selling point. What a clown. He's endangering peoples lives on both ships. I guess whales are more valuable than human life. That's basically the way it is playing out. :evil:

• Lars
    2:15 pm on June 7th, 2010 14

You are absolute fools. Seriously, who really gives a shit if they tell a few tales to promote their cause or even themselves. You bunch of lounge chair idealists that think whinging at news hour will save the world should get half the balls and purpose that these sea shepherd guys have. Which ever way you look at it, there are no greater liars and manipulators than the Japanese govt. Scientific research…?! please. I don't believe this posting is without external influence. You cannot seriously try and claim that there is even a slightly blurred line between the "goodies" and "baddies" here. Anyone with half a brain can see the evil at work behind Japanese whaling. It is now beyond commercial reasons- having lived there for many years I can tell you its a typical Japanese male pride that is keeping this going. Maintaining cultural face to the world even at the loss of its own morals. Disgusting. Shame on you for aiding the japanese propaganda machine. Shame shame shame! ps I dare you to publish this!

• Glans
    8:09 pm on June 7th, 2010 15

In comment 12, Leon LaPorte asks, "Isn’t boarding a ship under way at sea, uninvited, technically piracy?" That depends. Who's boarding whom? If we do it, or the Israelis do it, then, no, it's not piracy.

• ChickenHead
    10:54 pm on June 7th, 2010 16

Lars…

As has been mentioned before, nobody here seems to particularly support the Japanese position on whaling.

Nor is anybody here against saving whales or protecting the environment.

The resentment centers around a dangerous, self-promoting liar actually encouraging the hunting of whales while attracting wealth and publicity that could be put to better use by more sincere planet-huggers.

We are sliding into a new decade… and I beg the world to reward ability to excell rather than ability to create scandal. Maybe a big economic collapse will foster that attitude. It might be worth it.

• Mr. S
    3:10 pm on July 16th, 2010 17

I'm gonna go shoot, gut, and eat a Panda over in Japan in plain site of all the Japanese around. I'm gonna do it in their back yard and brag and taunt them with the fact.

I bet they kill me before the trial.

• ChickenHead
    3:41 pm on July 16th, 2010 18

Uh… Mr. S,

Repeat after me:

"Pandas are from 'China'."

None-the-less, that is an interesting approach to environmentalism…

…kill the endangered species to protest the killing of the un-endangered species.

I'm guessing if whales are intelligent creatures, they are wishing you were on the other team.

3:55 pm on July 16th, 2010 19

#17 Uhhhhh. huh huh. Beavis… Pandas aren't from Japan… A$$wipe… huh huh…

As far as most are concerned, you may eat any animal you like. So what?

Where is whale, dolphin, ape, pig or panda city? Please tell us about their culture and technical prowess. You could at least prove they were intelligent idiots if they had some dumb ass religion (never mind). Use of fire? Language? Cave etchings? Throwing shiat? Anything? Nada.

#18 I agree. If whales are as smart as people *think* they are, I doubt they'd want to be associated with any of us.

• Adam
    7:34 pm on July 16th, 2010 20

I have got to say this because the abject ignorance of the majority of SSCS supporters is so great. From the IWC website itself:"The International Whaling Commission (IWC) was set up under the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling which was signed in Washington DC on 2nd December 1946. The purpose of the Convention is to provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry." Note the line,"… provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry." THE IWC IS PRO-WHALING!!! It was set up to make sure that sustainable whaling could continue far into the future! The IRC actually does do scientific research, a description of the research can be found here : http://www.icrwhale.org/abouticr.htm. The gist of the IRC research (sanctioned by the IWC) is sustainable harvesting of whales in the southern hemisphere. To demonstrate this they must constantly take samples of whale health, size, breeding population, and yes…harvest actual whales. As stated before this is totally sanctioned by the IWC and is ,in fact, the specified purpose of the IWC.

If you are against whaling, fine…be against it. But don't run your mouths about "Japanese lies" just because google is too complicated for you. The IWC isn't some benevolent organization trying to keep the evil doers from whaling, they are a commission with the stated goal of ensuring whaling for the foreseeable future.

5:29 am on July 17th, 2010 21

I think #17 shows the intelligence of many of the drones that follow Paul Watson.

• Glans
    11:57 am on July 18th, 2010 22

Leon LaPorte 19, Homo sapiens is an ape. While it's true that Pan troglodytes and Pan paniscus are more closely related to each other than to Homo, they and Homo are more closely related to one another than to Gorilla. I.e. to a chimpanzee, a human is a closer cousin than a gorilla is.

• Amber
    7:03 am on December 11th, 2010 23

Since you do not like the Sea Sheperd I assume you condone the massacre of the Japanese killing off endangered species. Well I think it is wrong and I think Australia should be out there stopping these Japanese. I really look up to Paul Watson for doing the job Australia should be doing. I can only assume that Australia is afraid of Japan that is the reason that they do not do anything. :sad:

8:07 am on December 11th, 2010 24

#23 Two wrongs do not make a right. They are guilty of numerous crimes. Not to mention I believe a human life is more valuable than any animal. If the SS tried the same things on dry land in any civilized country with the rule of law, they would all be locked up by now.

• mike
    11:35 am on January 18th, 2011 25

Sea Shepherd – Watson "Fiddling Around" While Rome Burns

• the insider
    6:09 am on June 7th, 2011 26

Silly brainwashed stupid brain dead SSCS supporters. :roll: Do your research and do not let the cult SSCS with master manipulator Watson brainwash you more than he already has. He is a dangerous liar, criminal thug wanted in several countries with one caharge of attempted murder. How hard is it for you to get on Google and findf the facts. Watson has lost all touch with reality he is a lunatic media whore who cares only for himself and his bulging bank account. Watson never worked a day in his life, he lives on dobations he is a multi millionaire thanks to donations.Hes a coward a braggart a misfit an unstable loon who has lost it. Onr day he will do the world and the animals he pretends to save a favour and end up in prison. Always remember…its not about the whales it all about Watson. :evil:

• me
    9:52 am on June 8th, 2011 27

the sea shepards are my heros! even if they did lie (which i dont believe they did) that can only be expected because they are no ‘greater being’ they are human, and humans are prone to faults i mean, look at what we did to our beautiful planet! Let’s think deeper instead of slashing people on line because, as my mother always told me 2 wrongs dont make a right so, when some one does something bad lets do whats right instead of gossiping about them *tisk* *tisk*
    p.s i’m only 13 so please dont start swearing at me because, no offence, that would make you seem extremly unintellagent and using rude words doesnt make you a bigger person, it makes you a coward who hides behind vulger laugage
    PCE!

• raymond j johnson jr
    3:16 pm on June 16th, 2011 28

What did Bethune think was going to happen when he illegally boarded the whaler? Did he really think he was going to make a citizens arrest? He is lucky he was not shot as a pirate. These guys are as silly as Gomer Pyle trying to make a citizens arrest on Barney Fife.

Also , as a USCG lisenced Master it is insulting for Watson to refer to himself as “captain” I worked my ass off to get my ticket — What a fraud

• daddy
    7:27 am on July 29th, 2011 29

i think Paul is whaling the skinny guy with glasses in a fan room!!!!!

• John
    10:35 am on July 31st, 2011 30

I dont know enough and havent done the research to form an opinion. But an observation: It seems like there arent many entities out there who arent total pussies and who are actually taking the armed initiative necessary to stop barbaric and disgraceful behaviors such as whaling, clubbing seals, and dolphin murdering. Green Peace is a bunch of worthless piles of fungus. Who is out there actually doing something? Is there a clause in International Law to stop the worthless protesting and start actually engaging on immoral, cruel offenders such as the Japanese?

• Seth
    4:35 pm on November 24th, 2011 31

This is retarded. this is only HALF the story. I have no love for this person :|

• Bigbear-Inkpen
    6:51 pm on May 4th, 2012 32

let killer whales be Paul “Drama Queen” Watsons judge and jury … Honestly if people are this blind then to follow a known law breaker and self ego stroking maniac, then let them support this fools joke of a TV show and give us back Animal TV /…..

• Tom Langley
    7:47 pm on May 4th, 2012 33

If I ever visit Japan I think I’ll try some whale or dolphin steaks or sushi or however they prepare it just to say that I tried it. As fat as pandas look I guess that they would be greasy. I might just stay here in the US so I’ll just eat some spotted owl.

• Glans
    9:05 pm on May 4th, 2012 34

Tom Langley, try passenger pigeon.

• Tom Langley
    12:19 pm on May 5th, 2012 35

Glans, if they could get some DNA from a preserved specimen & clone it like some Japanese scientists are trying to do with a wooly mammoth then I would. The French & some countries in the middle east eat regular pigeon or squab which is a young pigeon or dove. I wouldn’t want to try snail darter however as it is only the same size as a minnow. Hmmm, I wonder what they do with the meat of the baby seals the Canadians club for fur. That would probably be greasy also.

• Glans
    12:59 pm on May 5th, 2012 36

Tom Langley, or you could refrain from driving an endangered species to extinction.

• BoJangles
    10:13 am on January 23rd, 2013 37

i dont give a crap about whales so go and hug a tree!

• Lloyd
    10:52 am on April 7th, 2014 38

Its an up and down situation.when theres a serial killer law inforcement hunts that person down to bring them to justice.Now for a people whos history dipicts them as an honorable people,what honor is there in butchering those whales??? They arent deep sea fishing folks! History has shown us YOU DO NOT have to kill an animal to do research on it!! They should be stopped at any cost!!!You are appreciated Paul Watson.Screw these goverments that allow the killing of whales and the people not caring this is still happening…your poor excuses for human beings.

• Vacker
    6:44 pm on April 10th, 2014 39

the Sea Shepherd Show …staged shills, bad actors – made up lies to bring in the cash…. built for the Brainwashed eco part timers to fill their ego cup. They use the Whales as those that kill them – they make me wretch.

• ChickenHead
    9:58 pm on April 10th, 2014 40

Global warming kills whales.

What? Wait. LACK of global warming kills whales.

This is a real eco-dilemma.

You can’t have both whales and global warming panic.

So choose one and stick with it.

Bad Behavior has blocked 28686 access attempts in the last 7 days.