Avatar of GI KoreaBy on August 18th, 2009 at 7:16 pm

40 People from Seoul Die Every Month In Traffic Accidents

Here is a statistic that shows how many people die every month in traffic accidents in Seoul:

A new report shows a monthly average of 40 people died in traffic accidents in Seoul last year.

According to a Seoul city government report on disaster casualties, nearly 42-thousand traffic accidents occurred last year, claiming 477 lives and wounding more than 59-thousand. A monthly record of over three-thousand-950 traffic accidents occurred in July when the monsoon season reached its peak.  [KBS World]

To give some perspective to this number, New York City which has 2 million less people than Seoul has a accident fatality rate of 25 deaths per month.  Overall Korea’s traffic fatality rate remains high, but has actually been improving in recent years.

Tags: ,
  • Lemmy
    9:10 pm on August 18th, 2009 1

Number of vehicle fatalities in 2000 in the US 41,945*.

2000 population of the US (1 April) 281,421,906

1 in 6,709

*anyone killed by a vehicle, pedestrian, motorcycle, bicycle

Number of vehicle fatalities in 2000 in the ROK 10,236

Population of the ROK in 2000 = 47,470,969

1 in 4,638 died by vehicle in 2000

In the year 2000, you were 31% more likely to die by vehicle in Korea than the United States.

Without your posting GI, I would never had guessed Korea has more traffic deaths than the US.

Anyone want to buy a scooter?

• Big B
    10:41 pm on August 18th, 2009 2

This is also in a country where high speeds are seldom reached due to congestion.

• AlarmBlue
    11:30 pm on August 18th, 2009 3

It is because everyone in Seoul is driving around watching those little TV's in their cars. Everytime I take a trip up there everyone is tuned into soap operas or favorite show on MBC or KBS. :|

• Wrenchbender
    12:15 am on August 19th, 2009 4

Almost bought the farm on Sunday riding my big Harley coming back from Seoul on Hwy 39 because I tried passing a car but the dude behind me in a Toyota MR2 with Turbo and fart muffler decided he's gonna pass me while I pass another car. After a miracle in keeping the bike up and get my heart back down my throat I immeadiately chased off after him.

The dude did it on purpose because he thought he was gonna show off to his girlfriend riding in the left seat, who was white as a ghost when I pulled along side and seen it was a Japanese spec car and he was driving on the right laughing his ass off. When I brandished my big 5 inch blade knife he quit laughing and put the pedal to the metal and took off and there was no way of catching him. Hopefully he'll never to that to another motorcyclist ever again. I sure wished I could launch a few .357 SIG or .40 cal bullets into his motor.

I don't mean to sound like an ass in this little story but I HATE cars! and I really hate most drivers especially the Valentino Rossi wannabe's. It also seems like there's too many Koreans that either herd the car around oblivious to what's going on, watching TV, yakking on the phone or just dumb as a box of hammers.

I've seen two old ajjussi's kill each other in a head on collision of two scooters on a country road in the ditch… How in the world does that happen? It boggles my mind.

Taxi drivers and dump truck drivers are absolute bastards in the way they drive, They've killed too many friends of mine on motorcycles and I would love nothing more than to sit on a hilltop with a .50 cal and use them for target practice.

My friend Scott and his wife had an accident on their bike last year because a 16 year old Korean kid in a Bongo truck decided he needed to launch himself into a river and take them out at the same time on a mountain road up in Kangwon province. Never mind he was 16 without a license since you have to be 18 or 19 to get one. No insurance and he fled the scene with severe injuries to himself. Scott and his wife just had road rash from going down and sliding 100 yards on asphault but the bike was totaled.

In the Sates nobody sees you, that's why the majority of fatal motorcycle accidents are assholes turning left into a motorcycle but here they have absolutely no concept that they're herding a 2 ton vehicle with no reguard for your safety and can't understand that we lose in a pissing match with a 400 lb to 900 lb bike.

Sorry for the rant but I have a personal vendetta against cars and drivers because they're trying to kill me everywhere.

1:28 am on August 19th, 2009 5

I have always said Koreans have a Darwinian approach to driving. If you are in a dump truck or a "terminator" you are king of the road. Below them are the bus drivers, bongo trucks, sedans, cars, and at the way bottom are motorcycles and scooters. That is why I believe many Korean drivers have no problem with cutting off people on bikes.

• Wrenchbender
    3:32 am on August 19th, 2009 6

Too bad I can't pop off rounds at them anyway. :evil:

• Marcus Ambrose
    9:46 am on August 19th, 2009 7

Every morning, and every afternoon, well, every time you are on the road here, there will be someone not moving at a light because they are watching their little TV. They outlawed cellphone use, so why not make a law that the tvs cannot be in driver view, same as in other countries?

My other pet peeve is when they put on the parking brake and put it in neutral at a light. As soon as it turns green you can see their shoulders and arms moves as they take off the brake and think about driving 4 to 5 seconds later. Why does 4 or 5 seconds matter? That's 20% of the light time on some of these lights.

• Common Sense Guy
    10:08 am on August 19th, 2009 8

You must have fallen and hit your head pretty hard at one point in your life. You may not know this, so I'll let you in on a little secret. A motorcycle vs. anything with 4 wheels will always lose.

Here is another bit of advise. If you ever brandish a knife to me while you are riding your motorcycle next to me in my car, I will surely and immediately steer my car into your motorcycle. The same goes for a gun.

What you should do in a case like you described above is follow the car until it is stopped in traffic then walk up to the drivers window and do what you have to do.

• Bam!
    10:27 am on August 19th, 2009 9

A lot of Korean's are selfish and unable to decide and thats the bottom line.

1) Trying to cross a street at a crosswalk when the light is about to change.

2) Exits to freeways and roads, they park in the median or will back up to change their mind.

3) Changing Lanes, they'll cut you off thinking your going to get ahead of them.

4) Entering a road from a side street, pull into traffic and wait until they are sure all traffic is stopped.

5) The right lane. If you can't decide, just stopp in the right hand lane until you can.

6) When they get off a crowded escelator they immediatly stop and block everyone else so they can think of their next move, meanwhile the stedy stream of 10,000 people behind them are cramming into each other.

7) When buying a train ticket they want to know every stop and every available seat and then they want to know the same for the five trains before and after.

8) Can't decide which space to use when parking their car

9) Buying something, anything

10) Crossing an intersection in rush hour traffic. These people have to know they are just going to block traffic sitting in the middle of an intersection, but they can't decide if they want to stop or go.

• RealExpat
    11:11 am on August 19th, 2009 10

You said it BAM!. Thank GOD that cars are handing out Darwin awards on their bumpers at 50 MPH to Koreans walking down the middle of roads.

• junior
    1:19 pm on August 19th, 2009 11

They are probably anticipating the people who 1) get caught on the FLASH of the very short yellow light and 2) the ones who just blow on through the red lights.

Between the drivers and the traffic engineers here there is a whole lotta dumb and scary.

• junior
    1:21 pm on August 19th, 2009 12

Reminds me of the Benny Hill Show.

• Wrenchbender
    1:54 am on August 20th, 2009 13

I know reading comprehension is hard so I'll explain it again. I know that the mass of a vehicle with two wheels will always lose against a 4 or more wheeled vehicle. They, those pronoun people, here in this fair country haven't got the sense to know the stupid things they do while I'm minding my own business have dire and deadly consecuences to me.

A car on a 4 lane national hwy passed me in the left lane as I was in the left lane passing a car. The genius in the Toyota MR2 was behind me and as I moved over to the left to pass a car he decided he was going to shoot between me and the guard rail and clipped my bike. Before this happened the Toyota driver came out of nowhere from way behind going at a fast clip, slowed down to tailgate me on the bike and made his move as I explained above laughing his ass off. the action I took brandishing a knife was a verbal warning to his stupidity could very well hurt him and he took off and after we reached 120 mph with me chasing him I broke contact and decided to pull off the road and smoke a cigarette and let the adrenaline wear off from nearly meeting my maker.

• lilo
    2:23 pm on September 2nd, 2012 14

Yes, its so true, Koreans cannot and will never learn to drive. Its funny how they think they are smart because have invested in technology when in fact they cannot even drive like a normal person. FYI the inventors who work for korean companies are german, french, american, anything but Koreans, they are just simply dumb.

Bad Behavior has blocked 29951 access attempts in the last 7 days.