Avatar of BillBy on September 11th, 2009 at 9:27 am

9-11 Eight years later- In memory of Ken Marino

» by in: Uncategorized

This is a re-post of something I wrote on 9-11′s fifth anniversary.

Ken Marino, age 40 was a NYC firefigther who died on 9-11. He was the only person I knew that died that fateful day. See Ken and I shared a passion for a table sports game in addition to playing in tournaments where other players of Strat-O-Matic Baseball competed against one another. We probably met a few times at the ones in Newark New Jersey. Including this one here, which Ken won and I also played in. I just don’t remember much or anything else from tournaments Ken and I both played in. We probably faced off against each other at least once in Newark, but Star Tournaments records are sketchy prior to 1999.marino.kenny

Four months after Ken’s death, I competed in the Star Tournaments’ National Championship in Las Vegas. Advancing to the quarter-finals, I played against Mike Cohen and Eric Wayne who co-managed a team. Both players knew Ken, and Mike was a very close friend of his. As we played our seven game series, Mike and Eric talked some of their lost friend. Since 2002 Startournaments gives the annual Ken Marino award for sportsmanship. RIP Ken and god bless your wife and children.

Where was I on 9-11 and what did I do that day? My day started like any other. I got up, ate breakfast, drank coffee, put out the garbage and puttered around the house.(Go online) I frequently turn CNBC early in the morning, and I did so that day. CNBC was soon showing images of the WTC on fire. My wife Leonita had left for work, as her day begins at 9 a.m. and so I called her. I probably turned the television off while we talked for I didn’t see the second plane crash live like millions of others did. The rest of the day was spent mostly glued to the television.

God bless all the families and loved ones of those who died on September 11th, 2001.

• LORDOFE2
    5:17 am on September 11th, 2009 1

Thanks for sharing that with us GI. You are rare one, and that is why I respect you so much. Too many people bring up their weak stories, for no reason other the self glory, but you bring respect back.

I too.. hold my own 9-11.. story.. but that is for another time..

5:35 am on September 11th, 2009 2

Lord,

It's me Bill who wrote post. GI is a very good blogger, I'm a pipsqueak.

Cheers,

Bill

• gerry
    1:44 pm on September 11th, 2009 3

9/11 brings to me the memories of the previous January. I visited the world trade center and went to the top floor for the view. We had a little tour and film and then were free to eat drink or view the surrounding area from atop the tower. (I don't remember exactly which tower). The view was extraodinary. I remember and will never forget the old man selling popcorn, the young teenagers working at "Sabaros Pizza", the young waitress serving customers. I will never know if any of them were involved in 9/11, but I will always have those images.

I returned two years later and viewed the site, only planning on a quick trip. It really tore me apart and my wife and I spent the remainder of the day there. Much anger involved.

• LORDOFE2
    1:52 pm on September 11th, 2009 4

Thank you for the story.

• Katrina Marino
    2:07 pm on September 12th, 2009 5

Hi Bill, Hi strat guys – this is Katrina, Kenny's wife(widow). He truly loved the challenge of the game – I always thought, and knew you were/are a good group of guys.

Thank you for remembering Kenny. Kristin, is almost 12 now and in 6th grade, Tyler (his little guy, not so little any more, just a few more inches before he out grows me) Tyler is now 9 and in 4th.

We now live in Massachusetts,,Send my best wishes to the rest of the guys as you see them, I still think of you guys, hope you are all well.

Sincerely, Katrina Marino

Bad Behavior has blocked 31188 access attempts in the last 7 days.