It looks like someone is going to get in trouble for this:
The military is grilling the 22nd Army Division in search of what went wrong on Oct. 26 to allow a South Korean man to defect to North Korea, defense sources said yesterday.
Officers, possibly the division commander, are expected to be replaced or punished, military sources said.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff has dispatched an emergency inspection team to Gangwon Province where the nation’s most forefront division is located, just below the Demilitarized Zone.
“Minister Kim Tae-young also viewed this as a serious incident and ordered a thorough investigation,” said Won Tae-jae, spokesman for the Defense Ministry.
The 22nd Army Division was in charge of defense in the area where Kang Tong-rim, a 30-year-old South Korean man cut through barbed wire to cross the border to the North.
Kang previously served his mandatory military service under the 22nd Army Division.
The division commander had just a week left to retire, after which he was expected to await a possible promotion, according to military sources.
Kang cut a 30 centimeter by 40 centimeter hole through the wires dividing the two Koreas to defect to the North on Monday, according to Pyongyang’s state-run broadcaster on Tuesday.
The South Korean military confirmed that it also believes Kang crossed over to North Korean soil through the hole he cut through the wire. He wanted by the police on battery charges. [Korea Herald]
Read the rest at the link but what is going to get military leaders in trouble more then allowing this guy to defect is that the hole in the fence was not noticed until the North Koreans announced the defection. Not good.
Anyway this Kang is an idiot, how is spending the rest of your life in North Korea going to be better than facing charges for battery? I have to wonder if he has mental issues?