Avatar of GI KoreaBy on October 28th, 2009 at 7:08 am

South Korean Defects Across DMZ to North Korea

» by in: DMZ

It looks like someone is going to get in trouble for this:

The military is grilling the 22nd Army Division in search of what went wrong on Oct. 26 to allow a South Korean man to defect to North Korea, defense sources said yesterday.

Officers, possibly the division commander, are expected to be replaced or punished, military sources said.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff has dispatched an emergency inspection team to Gangwon Province where the nation’s most forefront division is located, just below the Demilitarized Zone.

“Minister Kim Tae-young also viewed this as a serious incident and ordered a thorough investigation,” said Won Tae-jae, spokesman for the Defense Ministry.

The 22nd Army Division was in charge of defense in the area where Kang Tong-rim, a 30-year-old South Korean man cut through barbed wire to cross the border to the North.

Kang previously served his mandatory military service under the 22nd Army Division.

The division commander had just a week left to retire, after which he was expected to await a possible promotion, according to military sources.

Kang cut a 30 centimeter by 40 centimeter hole through the wires dividing the two Koreas to defect to the North on Monday, according to Pyongyang’s state-run broadcaster on Tuesday.

The South Korean military confirmed that it also believes Kang crossed over to North Korean soil through the hole he cut through the wire. He wanted by the police on battery charges.  [Korea Herald]

Read the rest at the link but what is going to get military leaders in trouble more then allowing this guy to defect is that the hole in the fence was not noticed until the North Koreans announced the defection.  Not good.

Anyway this Kang is an idiot, how is spending the rest of your life in North Korea going to be better than facing charges for battery?  I have to wonder if he has mental issues?

Tags: ,
  • ChickenHead
    2:22 am on October 28th, 2009 1

Dude… yer doin' it wrong.

• Obakeinu
    3:03 am on October 28th, 2009 2

I hope for this fool's sake he'll prove 'useful' to the Norks as a propaganda puppet [or info source].

If not, he'll truly wish he was in a South Korean jail cell.

• guitard
    6:44 pm on October 28th, 2009 3

I just wish I could see the look on his face when he realizes that for the rest of his life he'll be living in one of the biggest sh!tholes on earth, with barely enough food to stay alive, and where he is treated like a pariah.

• Hamilton
    10:13 am on October 29th, 2009 4

It's a win-win scenario really. nK gets an additional thug and the South doesn't need to spend any taxes on incarceration. I wonder if they could work out some sort of defector-release program with the north, it could save millions. Just back a truck up to the DMZ full of lifers and tell them they have a new option on incarceration.

• Cloying_odor
    11:17 am on October 29th, 2009 5

Perhaps he was a NK agent and it was time to return home.

• Manchu1-9
    12:18 pm on December 16th, 2009 6

I was there the night PFC White crossed over to the "people's paradise"

Heard he was found floating in the Imjin with a hole in his head,guess he changed his mind about being in paradise

• guitard
    2:23 pm on December 16th, 2009 7

Not sure what your source of information is, but I've always read he drowned in the Chongchon River – which is no where near the Imjin.

• Manchu1-9
    7:20 pm on December 16th, 2009 8

guitard,that was one of many crazy nights on the Z

You maybe right,I don't have a clue how he died,my buddy who was with the 503rd long after I left told me this.I did see the NK propaganda film we all watched of him reading from a paper in his hands,he acted and talked like a robot,a big pic of kim Il Sung was behind him,he looked very nervous,almost like he changed his mind,watching him speak made me sick to my stomach,he still had his BDUs on with his 2ID patch.

Maybe he drowded trying to get something to eat,who knows,we also heard that his nuba hanna yobo disappeared also,I've looked other place on the web about him,only reading "Life" mags article,"WHAT MADE JOE JUMP?

November 1982,by David Friend.I've run across some Polar Bears after I got out that were there too,any links or info would be appreciated

KEEP UP THE FIRE!

• guitard
    12:37 am on December 17th, 2009 9

I have a good friend who was very closely involved in the investigation of White's defection. I've talked about it with him, but it's been several years. He's got the lowdown on the alleged yobo, etc. I'll email him and ask.

My unit at the time (1/38th Inf) was the next unit to do the DMZ mission after 1/31st. Our commander felt it was important to "restore the pride" of the DMZ mission – which 1/31st had "smeared." This amounted to spending weeks rebuilding the guard posts one sandbag at a time (I seem to recall each one required 10,000 sandbags).

• Manchu1-9
    3:10 pm on December 17th, 2009 10

guitard

I disagree with your CO's take that 1/31st Inf.had "smeared" anything,every Polor Bear was out for White's blood,as we all were,after we heard the "yobo" story.Thanks for anymore information,just one of those thangs that left many of us wanting the true skinny for closure,as we all felt somewhat mortified as a whole during that film,just as they wanted us to,I can't speak for everyone,but before I left the building where we watched the film,the mortification turned to anger.

KEEP UP THE FIRE!

N

PRO PATRIA!

• guitard
    7:01 pm on December 17th, 2009 11

The reason I put the word smeared in quotes was to indicate that it was what it was: bullsh!t.

I think it was just a convenient excuse for our Bn Cdr to use to put a nice sounding bullet on his OER.

• South Korean Soldiers Kill Man Trying To Cross To North « Israel Grossman Article.Org
    10:05 am on September 16th, 2013 12

[…] The last known case of a South Korean attempting to defect to the North occurred in 2009. […]

• South Korean Soldiers Kill Man Trying To Cross To North – NPR (blog) – The News On Tour
    10:17 am on September 16th, 2013 13

• South Korean Soldiers Kill Man Trying To Cross To North - EikAwaz | EikAwaz
    10:22 am on September 16th, 2013 14

• Charles Saulson,
    11:50 am on September 16th, 2013 15

• Daryl Bujak
    1:01 pm on September 16th, 2013 16

Bad Behavior has blocked 30982 access attempts in the last 7 days.