Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 24th, 2010 at 6:41 am

Did Kenneth Markle or Jason Lambert Kill Korean Prostitute In 1992?

Over at the Marmot’s Hole, contributor Robert Neff has an interesting posting up about the murder of 26 year old prostitute Yun Kum-i in the ville outside of Camp Casey by US soldier Kenneth Markle back in 1992. Robert has used a number of open source media articles to create a time-line of what occurred to include Markle’s allegations that he was innocent:

Inside the packed court house Markle denied he had tortured and killed Ms. Yun.  He insisted that she had attacked him with a Coke bottle and that he was only defending himself when he struck her back.[7]  ”I struck her four times, but I’m denying she was dead when I left the room.”[6]  He claimed that he afterwards tried to revive her.  He also denied trying to have sex with her and alluded to another soldier that he said may have been responsible for her death.  He claimed that he and the other soldier had argued over who would take her home.  [Marmot's Hole]

Here is the name of the other soldier he claims is responsible for the murder:

This hearing, however, he appears to have given more information.  For the first time the name of the soldier he suggested might be responsible for her death was mentioned – Spc. Jason Lambert.  According to Markle he watched Lambert enter Ms. Yun’s room after he left.  He also said the Lambert indicated to him that Yun was his girlfriend and was angry that Markle had gone to her room.  Markle claimed he had not known the woman before that night, but saw her staggering drunkenly down a street in the city after he left the club.  He offered to help her get home and she accepted.  He said they were confronted on the street by the soldier he identified as Lamber, who said he knew the woman and would take her home.  Markle said he refused, and Lambert left.   Lambert returned a short time later and demanded that “I come outside and fight him.” Markle said they did fight briefly and when he went back inside the room Yun began slapping and clawing him, inflicting several minor wounds.  He said he took the bottle from her and hit her “only hard enough to make her stop.”  He said she fell to the floor unconscious and bleeding.  He then tried to rouse her, but couldn’t.  [Marmot's Hole]

Make sure to read Robert’s entire posting because it is an interesting to include an ongoing conversation in the comments section.

ROK Drop readers may remember this posting I did over three years ago that drew a comment from Markle proclaiming his innocence. This is what Markle had to say:

A friend of mine let me know that there were all kinds of interesting things being written about me on this site. I had a little time to waste, so I sat down recently and started reading. And laughing. At first, I was amused. Then it became nearly hysterical. Far too many comments have been made for me to try to respond to each one. Instead, I’ll make a few general statements and be done with it. I wasted too much time overseas to spend any more doing this. For the record, I didn’t kill ANYONE. I was in the vicinity. Had contact of a non-sexual nature with the young woman and left the area. I do not know who committed the crime. I was identified as being seen with her, was arrested, interrogated and bullied into signing a confession I could not read or understand. Thus, the basis of my conviction. I was 19 years old, scared, alone and helpless. I never had a chance of “proving” anything, let alone my innocence. I’ve made very little noise about the ordeal since I’ve returned to the United States. Believe me, I wanted to. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops, file lawsuits, get the media involved… Anything to “prove” I didn’t do it.

What good would it do me now? The 14 years are gone. I can live for the future or let the past kill me. I chose the former. That might not be the right choice, but I took some good advice and chose not to let the past dictate my future. I can sleep at night with my choice. As for all the comments made on this site by “ex’s” and other acquaintances, the only one one I’ll acknowlege is John Ortega. Yes, he was my room mate in Korea. He was like a brother to me, a truly trusted friend who I still think of occasionally. I appreciate that he even tried to contact me. He was a good man then and, I’ve no doubt, still is. Hope you are doing well, John. Thanks for coming to see me at Red Cloud and playing Spades through the bars of my cell. I’ll never forget it. Onward… Yes, I could post transcripts of my trials on the site. Copies of statements and pictures and just about anything else you folks would want to see. Some of it damaging, some vindicating. Wouldn’t matter. The debate would rage. I’m not a “sexual deviant” or a predator. Never had legal trouble before Korea or since. Not a pothead or a woman-beater.

I work my ass off to make up for lost time and I’m determined to do it. Some of you call me names, say I should get “the chair” or I’m lucky to be free. Say I manipulate or deceive or…well, I don’t need to try to repeat all of it. I don’t care what any of you think of me. I did my time, justified or not. All of you with nothing better to do than crucify me should ask yourselves what good you’re doing wasting your time on this site. Go to work. Take care of your kids. Do something productive. Be happy that you have the freedom to do it. I know what it’s like not to have it. It’s miserable.

The posting drew even more comments from supporters and detractors that have known Markle over the years to include a number of ex-girlfriends and fellow soldiers that served with him.  Like I told Markle before, he is the one convicted of murder and if he says he is innocent it is up to him to convince people otherwise.  He can start by posting the transcripts he keeps claiming will show that he is innocent.

My offer to post them here on this site still stands so everyone can have the complete information to draw their own conclusions on whether he is innocent or not.  As long as he keeps avoiding posting the transcripts I will continue to believe he is guilty of the crime he was convicted of.

Tags: , , , , ,
  • Hitachi King
    5:57 pm on February 24th, 2010 1

Honestly, there's nothing substantial at all to think that anyone besides Markle killed that young lady. He did it, he killed another human being and he served about 15 years in prison for his crime. He's very lucky imo.

• IndianheadVet
    8:48 am on September 15th, 2010 2

As someone who was AT Camp Casey in 92, as the trial was beginning, i can tell everyone that this Markle guy never had a chance to be innocent; he was lynched by the papers long before he saw a court room. Koreans are extremely conservative, credulous people who have strong opinions and, at the time, were only just beginning to experience the sensory-overload characyteristic of Western culture. For instance: i saw the very first live performance by an all-Korean heavy metal band and what they lacked in experience they more than made up for with enthusiasm. The same for the courts: they weren't used to in-your-face news coverage like happened with the Markle case and IMO the Korean public was "glamored"(seduced) by the overwhelmingly negative publicity of Markle.

He was the first, and ONLY, subject arrested or even formally suspected. In the Korean mind Markle was the ONLY guilty party. Period.

Finally: the S. Korean media was having a feild day with the Markle case because it supported growing resentment of American forces in Korea at the time. Myself, I was attacked several times by Koreans just for being an American. And- we weren't allowed off-post at all for a long while during that period.

Markle got caught up in media-induced hysteria. everyone i met who knew Markle said there was no way he did that, and the rumormill generally had a way of being pretty accurate in those days before the internet.

Leave the guy alone. I seriously, seriously doubt he did anything more than be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

7:46 pm on September 15th, 2010 3

A common pattern. I submit:

• IndianheadVet
    3:17 am on September 18th, 2010 4

Not sure what point you're trying to make, but there is a big difference in civilians knowing very little about a neighbor and soldiers who train hard and live together 24/7/365. No one i ever served with veered very far from their normal disposition, even in the most trying situations. Markle was known as a good guy, reliable, honest and friendly.

Plus- i was raised not far from him, and the people he grew up with say the same thing: there's no way he did it.

He was crucified in order to assuage public outrage, which was being agitated by North Korean agents who raised hell about anything and everything American.

Luckily, now the Korean people are far more media-savvy and less easily manipulated.

5:10 am on September 18th, 2010 5

If he was set up, this is a conspiracy. Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon ought to male a movie about him. Any chance he was gay? That would clinch the deal. :roll:

• IndianheadVet
    5:38 am on September 18th, 2010 6

I don't know if you were trying to be funny but your reply makes no sense.

I can't comment either way on the conspiracy thing, but unless you'd seen the state of Korean courts and police work in the early 90's you'd be hard pressed to understand how the wrong man could've been convicted. The police and courts simply needed a conviction and they didn't care who it was- especially since lambert was out of Korea and the Army by the time Markle was arrested.

Were you there? I was. I know what i saw.

• guitard
    5:51 am on September 18th, 2010 7

IndianheadVet

10:17 am on September 18th, 2010

WHAT??

The Korean media is just as bad now as it was 15 years ago – with almost no accountability (fact checking) whatsoever.

And the Korean people are just as gullible now as they were then. And with the advent of the internet it's even worse – because if it's written in hangul somewhere – it must be true.

Case in point: The Mad Cow Disease hoax broadcast on network tv in Korea a couple of years ago.

• IndianheadVet
    6:53 am on September 18th, 2010 8

Yeah. Well. I don't have any point of reference beyond my experience in the very early 90's, but it is impossible that the Korean population(not media) isn't far more sophisticated now than it was in 92. I doubt if tens of thousands of people riot for several days over a rape story in the news anymore. When i was there tensions were very, very high with the north and we saw or heard gunfire nightly on the Z. There was a LOT of outside agitation of the population then too. Korean intel and military forces are currently nearly on a par with American forces versus decades behind like the were almost 20 years ago and much more effective at controlling northern provocatuers.

And the mad cow thing was all over the US news too, so don't think it's any better here…

11:29 am on September 18th, 2010 9

The mad cow thing in the US was real. They have done more than take a couple pot shots across the Z. I think sinking a ship trumps that nicely. As recently as 2002-2004 there were huge riots over the little girls. There have been protests in the last few years where the protesters invaded the installation. Firebombs at Yongsan. Kidnappings of soldiers. The list goes on. Toy use your ctach-phrase, I don't know what you are talking about, or perhaps you don't.

The Koreans fall for all kind of crazy things Guitard said. If it is written in Hangul it must be true.

… and yes I was here in and out I suspect I do have a frame of reference.

• Bones
    12:08 am on September 19th, 2010 10

I was there when that happened, the rumor is, 3 guys were involved and Ajima(SGM) seen them.

The rumor is these guys had lest than 1 week before they PCS back to the states. 2 stayed on post, Markle when off post, and that when the SGM pointed him out to the investigators.

• 152G
    3:18 pm on October 30th, 2010 11

Com'on, this guy did it. Sure, a lot of politics were involved with the Koreans, sensational sex case involving a GI and a local VDC spooge gobbler and all. If he has evidence to the contrary he should post it. I believe he was seen with her that very night.

• Tom
    9:38 pm on October 30th, 2010 12

Americans can never murder anybody. They are perfect. Koreans are unfairly arresting Americans and falsely accusing them of murder. Actually the murder didn't happen at all. It was made up by Koreans. OR the murder was committed by a Korean who framed the innocent American. Americans can never do anything wrong. Americans are super duper human beings. Americans are actually angels from heaven. :roll:

• Hamilton
    2:37 am on October 31st, 2010 13

Tommy Tang, what a beautiful thought, but sadly untrue. If it were true, you would have been in a shallow ditch years ago and not only Americans but Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese who put up with your racist crap would be a little happier and better off.

• John Humphreys
    12:53 pm on March 7th, 2011 14

My name's John Humphreys and I was in Chonan for 2.5 years. The last 2.5 years of Markle's sentence in fact, we actually were both freed on the same day. My altercation was basically with a lot of drunk people and a really stupid mistake. I won't deny that. Onwards to the topic of Markle. I played Texas Hold Em with this guy for 2.5 years. I was probably the only guy who could call Markle's bluff and pick up on him when he was bullshitting. I pride myself with the ability to read body language and pick up on deceit. Early on I didn't know him well enough to know if he was telling the truth. He did in fact let me review his case file and transcripts. And I listened to what he went through, and it's nothing you could possibly imagine unless you went through it. He was guilty before that trial ever started, he had no chance. After years of getting to know him and read him like a hawk I honestly believe he didn't do it, I can tell when this guy lies and he showed absolutely no signs of deceit what so ever. Not only that but he was a REALLY nice guy. There were times when being around each other everyday became aggravating and we would yell at each other etc.. the stress of being locked up. He never once made any attempt to hit me or intimidate me in any way. He was twice my size and could have done so easily. He always shared his stuff unconditionally, always gave great advice, always stood up to the Korean guards on behalf of the American prisoners. Even when we left he gave most of his belongings to the other prisoners so they would have extra items to keep them busy and help make their time a bit easier. So no matter what you may feel towards this guy, guilty or innocent… it doesn't matter. As of today and since I have known him he is an outstanding guy. Takes care of his family. Won't even speed in his car. Obeys the law, and is very generous to his friends. No one can argue this. I think opinions on such matters achieve nothing, including mine. I do hope that some of you can feel better in knowing what kind of man he is today. God Bless & Good Bye.

• Retired GI
    2:04 pm on March 7th, 2011 15

Having spent a few years in Korea, I know how they get into a feeding frenzy about GIs accused of crimes. GUILTY—PERIOD.

I have also seen how the Military has a soldiers back. That DEPENDS on the situation, not guilty or innocent.

Then add Tom and his typical "asian hating on the american" attitude.

The guy was rail-roaded. Just that simple. I declare him Innocent of charges, based on my experience in Korea and in the Military.

I wish him the best in his future!

• kushibo
    3:44 pm on March 7th, 2011 16

I have long believed Kenneth Markle was likely not guilty, and I think the South Korean prosecutors came to that conclusion as well. I cited his case in a the comments section of a post I wrote knocking the ruling party's decision to re-employ capital punishment and speedy killings of convicted people:

"Swift executions" is a reactionary "feel good" measure designed to placate an anxious public. There are two problems with this approach. First, it does nothing to stop such crimes in the future but it has a tendency to cause the public and policymakers to feel as if something was done, so they are less likely to push for the kinds of police reform that will actually lead to a more aggressive reduction of this crime (in the forms I mention above).

Second, because of a push to placate the public by finding a person to convict, they sometimes convict the wrong person. This happens far more often than one thinks, and we can see it in Korea (the case of Kenneth Markle, whom the Korean prosecutors hinted they thought was not the guilty party — hence the reduction of his sentence from 40 years to 14 — is an example of this).

So "swift executions" will mean, in some cases, just faster killing of innocent people, those whom you have written off as "the convicted."

Capital punishment is a red herring.

I've long been interested in the Yun Kŭmi case and I'm surprised (and disappointed) I missed this discussion at the Drop.

• kushibo
    3:45 pm on March 7th, 2011 17

Better close that tag.

• Kevin
    3:56 pm on March 7th, 2011 18

based on his comments from the other thread here i wouldnt believe a single word from markle (if it is in fact him) unless he posts the transcripts.

he claims in post 112. "I didn’t spend all my time in “the ville” (obviously, unlike you), and couldn’t tell you the names of ANY of the clubs there, let alone where they were."

yet he was seen exiting a disco club the night of the victims murder and arrested at the same club a couple nights later after the staff recognized him when he entered the club. for the staff to recognize him so quickly and accurately he had to have been at least a semi regular in the area.

if there is a silver lining to this case it is the fact that this case had a huge impact in quickening the end of military dictatorship in south korea.

• Tom
    10:14 pm on March 7th, 2011 19

The man was not guilty because he was a nice guy and also he is an American. The woman killed herself and pushed the umbrella between her legs herself. No, wait…there was not even a murder. This case was just figment of Korean media's figment of imagination designed to make the poor American as the scapegoat. All the Americans serving in Korean prisons are all innocent, victims of evil Koreans who are pushing innocent Americans into prisons. It's impossible that Americans can commit any kind of crime in Korea. Koreans are making it up!

• setnaffa
    4:14 am on March 8th, 2011 20

Send Tom to Gitmo! He was the one! Lambert and Markle are just pawns…

• Retired GI
    6:42 am on March 8th, 2011 21

No tom. He was not guilty peroid. Koreans get in feeding frenzes at the THOUGHT of finding an American guilty.

You have no one to blam but yourself and those that think like you. Racist Koreans all.

• IndianheadVet
    7:43 am on March 8th, 2011 22

According to "Tom" all Koreans are discerning, logical, pragmatic humanists who ALWAYS examine both sides to a crime and who are INCAPABLE of displaying ANY racial or cultural bias despite the severity or emotional value of a crime. Koreans accept, inherently, the imperfections of their criminal justice system and completely recognize the significance of clashing cultural mores and values. Korean people are NEVER manipulated by a hysterical local media intent on selling as many papers as possible and ALWAYS respect the fact that American military personnel volunteer to help protect their country from the maniacal and insane Hermit Kingdom north of them. It is PURE COINCIDENCE that known Northern communist agitators were actively campaigning against Markle as a symbol of American "colonialism" in the South. If good and kind and gentle Korean peoples SAY Markle is murderer then MARKLE IS MURDERER!!!!

See how that works in reverse, Tom :-)

• kushibo
    7:50 am on March 8th, 2011 23

IndianheadVet, Tom is Chinese, not Korean.

Please make a note of it.

• IndianheadVet
    7:54 am on March 8th, 2011 24

My fault. I thought Tom was Korean, understandably so given the circumstances. Now I know Tom just hates America and Americans and is probably a ChiCom shill, but that's just my opinion.

No insult to the Korean people, BTW, because I have great respect and love for them.

• Glans
    9:46 am on March 8th, 2011 25

kushibo 23, is that a firm conclusion?

Tom, how many degrees above the horizon is Polaris? When it's noon in London, what time is it where you are?

• Retired GI
    10:02 am on March 8th, 2011 26

Korean—Chinese. What's the difference. Oh yea, Chinese women have longer legs.

• Tom
    11:53 am on March 8th, 2011 27

Americans, Bulgarians, GI's, what's the difference? Oh yes, Americans are way fatter.

Markle is innocent because he is a nice man who was nice to another American prisoner in Korea. And the fact that he's American, is enough proof that proves his innocence. Besides, why should Americans obey stupid Korean laws which forbids killing Koreans? Who cares if some stupid Korean prostitute got tortured and body burned? The only good Korean is a dead Korean anyway. har har har. Americans should not have to observe any Korean law since America is protecting these ungrateful Koreaans from Communists up north. These ingrates are expecting 30,000 Americans to fight off the commies alone yet dare to jail a law abiding upstanding GI and ruined his good reputation. Without 29,000 Americans are the only ones standing in the way, facing down 1 million North Koreans, yet these stupid Koreans dare to jail Markle. F*cking ingrates!

12:08 pm on March 8th, 2011 28

To read more about the incident that John Humphreys is referring to click here. I think he should be commended for how he handled everything that happened to him.

In regards to the Markle case the fact that he has not released the court transcripts for people to develop their own informed conclusion on the case I find interesting for someone claiming they are innocent of the crime. I would think that if someone wanted to prove their innocence they would release the court transcripts and show everyone the reasons for his innocence.

• Tom
    12:43 pm on March 8th, 2011 29

^ right. So the drunk GI's were making wild noises in the night, slobbering all over the road not paying any attention to the traffic, and the taxi almost ran into them and honks. The GI gets mad, and stomps on the hood of the taxi, the taxi driver gets mad, words are exchanged, and the GI gets madder and gets on the taxi and jumps several times. The crowd sees the comotion and see the GIs attacking the taxi driver, tries to stop the attack, and the GI pull s the knife and stabs a Korean in the neck (saying later that it was an accident). But it was all Korean's fault. Right GI.

You guys are always the victim, aren't you?

Now be fair GI, since you posted GI's version of the story, why not publish what the Korean witnesses saw that night?

12:53 pm on March 8th, 2011 30

If prostitution were safe and easy, everybody would be doing it.

• kushibo
    7:54 pm on March 8th, 2011 31

Retired GI wrote:

Korean—Chinese. What’s the difference. Oh yea, Chinese women have longer legs.

Um, FYI, Retired GI. It's Chinese guys with the longer legs.

Better figure out what you're doing wrong with that "package check."

• IndianheadVet
    2:30 am on March 9th, 2011 32

Tom,

Nowhere has anyone said anything about American perfection. But you just. keep. on. blabbing. about. EVIL AMERICANS. Boogity.

How about we talk about Chinese evil?

Are you working directly for Communist North Korea? Or are you sub-contracting with a Chinese Communist firm shilling against Americans? Do you get paid per insult/insinuation? Or do you get a lump sum to spread a ridiculous, stereotypical, cartoonish impression of "Amelican-hating Chinese/Kolean-roving pelfect communist wolkels gauldian helo!"?

You're making a joke of yourself with all this teenaged angst towards Americans.

Wanna talk about the Chinese "Cultural Revolution"? You know- the one where the Chinese poor decimated it's own middle-class doctors, dentists, engineers, teachers and other professionals for having treasonous "foreign" learning? Or about the slow but certain ongoing genocide in Tibet and Uighur? Or Chinese practice of executing petty thieves and drug addicts? Or China's infant female genocide? 300,000,000 and counting? Or the thousands of ancient pyramids in XinJiang region no one is allowed to excavate? Maybe because they'd prove that Han people were NOT the first people there? How much face would honorable Chinese agent lose then, huh?

Because all Chinese are PERFECT, huh?

Get over yerself, ching-chong the ChiCom.

Is your every action representative of ALL Chinese? I didn't think so….

3:50 am on March 9th, 2011 33

@29 – Tom you sound like an unhinged loon. If you read what Humphrey wrote in the prior posting you can see he took responsibility for what happened, did his time, and has gotten on with his life. Sounds like you can learn something from him about getting over things and moving on.

9:25 am on March 9th, 2011 34

Tom is the Charlie Sheen of China. I'm waiting for the train wreck.

湯姆是查理辛的中國。我在等待火車殘骸。

• Retired GI
    11:54 am on March 9th, 2011 35

Kushibo, you seem to have an obsession with men and their package. :) Just saying.

• Bryan
    10:33 pm on November 22nd, 2011 36

I just have two questions.

1) Why Markle came up with Lambert story during his second hearing? Why so late?

2) Markle admitted to hit this prostitute four-times, and later tried to revive her (he was medic.). Does it mean she was unconscious due to his hitting?

3) From the court report <>. So, American authority did investigation for this case.

Anyone has answers for these three questions?

• Bryan
    10:34 pm on November 22nd, 2011 37

An American military investigator testified as to the results of the polygraph test. “Overall results indicated that he (Markle) was not truthful.”

- This is the part between . From http://www.rjkoehler.com/2010/02/24/kenneth-markle-was-he-innocent/

• Dermoudy
    7:33 pm on March 23rd, 2012 38

If a Korean man killed an white American prostitute like that in the US, he would be sentenced to death or life imprisonment without parole.
    Now you know which is a real racist country.

• Tony
    12:33 am on April 3rd, 2012 39

I happened upon this by accident. I was stationed in Korea in 1992. I do remember what was going on in reference to the girl being killed but not by the media or my chain of command. The part that I don’t get is this. There was a guy in my unit that had gone AWOL and when they found him they brought him back to our unit. I was one of the people who was ordered to stand guard over him to make sure he did not leave the barracks. While I was with him he had stated that there was a girl that was murdered in a hotel room. He said she had been beaten and had been sexually assaulted with an umbrella. He said that “they were trying to pin it on him”. He told me he was in that hotel room with his friend where the girl was murdered but that “he did not kill her”. So I could not understand why he was not in jail if he was suspected of murdering someone. Within the next couple days I had received word that the Commanding General wanted him chaptered out of the military ASAP. I assisted with his Chapter Physical while all along wondering why the CG was kicking someone out of the military that was suspected of murder. I was stationed on Camp Hovey and we were like the red headed step children of the military camps. We were so secluded and morale was so low that we were not informed of anything going on anywhere outside of Camp Hovey. I was not even aware that anyone was even tried for the murder of the girl or that someone had actually been murdered. There was quite a few times over the years that I just thought the soldier that I was guarding was just so messed up on drugs that no one was actually killed, he was just so messed up on drugs and alcohol that he was just loosing his mind. For the fact that the soldier that I was guarding never looked me in the eye even once when he was talking to me, always raised a red flag with me. So I just kept thinking, if there was no murder then he was just crazy, if there was a murder, then why did they let him go? His name was James Steager.

• USFKisWasteofTaxDollars
    3:55 am on April 3rd, 2012 40

In 1992, the life of an average Korean was not worth Shiite. Nobody much cared, nor did folks get too excited. Korea was still a 2nd world country!

So those of you douche bags comparing the sentence given to someone in Korea vs America…just quit being a blowhard, there was no comparison in 1992.

She probably reneged on her 40 overnight price and was raped by an umbrella.

• Thomas Lee
    4:00 am on April 3rd, 2012 41

USFK…. you have no clue what Korea was like in 1992 – obviously.

• Stephan Ellis
    6:56 pm on September 5th, 2012 42

MANCHU!!! Wow, did this story generate noise!!! I arrived at Camp Casey in December 2003 (a few months after the 2002 death of these 2 young girls that got ran over, and the accidental death of a Soldier getting crushed by the M1 parked on an incline he slept under at Rooster 8, of which the brakes failed), and it was still on the tongues of CO’s and BC’s during the weekend release safety briefs… I have no idea what went on then, but I swear… Commanders hated this guy with a passion, and their speeches were animated with a belief in his guilt like I have never seen before! You would really think that the presumption of innocence means absolutely nothing… The safety overhaul subsequently generated made life there as regulated as conjugal visits in jail! A strictly enforced curfew was in place, Rok and US MP’s patrolled the streets of the Ville and inspected bars on a regular basis, Soldiers were no longer allowed to live off post in Area1 and 2 (unless married to a local, and permission was granted by none other than the post commander), to own a car, or even leave post without a battle budy or permissions reviewed and signed by a CO, and granted weeks in advance… Convoys also took a heck of a beating, for the sole authorized speed limit off post had been revised to a whopping 20 mph! Talk about gruesome drawn out driving under the harshness of Korean winters and the Monsoon Season… I felt like I was in prison, especially because we now shared barracks with our NCO’s! Anyway, I have no idea of what the situation was at the time of the incident, but I can attest to the changes it contributed to bringing about after serving 2 consecutive tours there until December 2005, time at which I reenlisted and nabbed a PCS to HI to get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. I enjoyed Korea as a country, have never been mistreated while there, but Lo’ and behold, the confined mode of living drove me crazy!! MANCHU!!

6:33 am on September 6th, 2012 43

I missed this one before, but it gives a little more than what I said in the other post:

Do all these people who talk about being railroaded to jail or those who say they know Markle and how he is too great a guy to have done something like this – not read what he admitted to in court?

And this is what you always hear from criminals after the fact. Even the renounced confession thing:

They end up only admitting what they think they can’t get away with lying about – They only cop to the lesser offenses and only those whose proof they can’t talk away…

But sometimes when initially picked up and confronted with evidence, they crack and confess. Then they have time to think about it, often with a lawyers help, and they spend their time crafting a story they think they can sell despite the hard evidence they can’t get away from.

So, Markle was with her, but alone, and she attacked him! He only took the coke bottle away from her and smacked her in the head with it to protect himself – 4 times. And he even tried to revive her, but she was definately alive when he left, though bloody. It must have been some other guy who came in and finished her off and raped her and then did that to her body…

…yeah…

Do we know exactly what happened?

No. Do you need that to convict somebody? If so, then open the jails and let out 90% of the people who have ever been convicted. Reasonable doubt is NOT any doubt whatsoever. And it isn’t the benefit of the doubt…

Add to that the fact some of the witnesses are often criminals themselves. Often accomplices…

What I do know is — in court, not just in the early confession — he admitted to beating the woman about the head with a bottle then told some lame story about her being bloody and injured – but alive – when he left and how it must have been another guy who went in and finished her off…

I have no problem with his going to jail.

Was he there with someone else or other people? Did they also beat and abuse the woman and then the corpse? I don’t know. If so, I wish the police had physical evidence to tie to them and they were convicted and put in jail too…..But I have absolutely no problem with the fact Markle was convicted and put in jail. None.

If some want to read what he admitted in jail and stay good buds with him, OK. Or date him, OK. Not my life. I don’t know any of them. I do know I don’t mind his having gone to jail.

I don’t really care about all the talk about how the public was out to get him and blah blah blah. It doesn’t erase what he said in court…..And maybe he was convicted in the court of public opinion before the trial even began because the evidence against?

I don’t need to read the transcript, but if we did, I am guessing we’d find his fingerprints were on the bottle and other physical evidence tied the bottle to the wounds on the girls head — and that is why he decided to admit to being there and even admit to hitting her in the head – 4 times – with it.

But without that evidence, and others, he’d have testified he’d never seen the woman before in his life, “swear to God, hope to die”….

Maybe that is why he wouldn’t upload the full transcript – after having 14 years to craft his story…

• Billy Bennett
    6:35 pm on September 19th, 2012 44

I am more inclined to believe Markle who I know better as “Doc”. Since I too was a victim of the Korean judicial system. However unlike Doc, I was foolish enough to be intimidated into changing my plea from innocent to no-contest. And since my release from Chonan, seen no purpose in wasting time money or effort in exonerating myself. I’ve moved on with my life. I can sleep at night knowing I’m innocent. And I’m sure Doc can too. Even if somehow he was able to Exonerate himself, the damage is done and those that don’t believe he is innocent, will not waver in their beliefs.

• Flat Stanley
    6:50 pm on September 19th, 2012 45

It’s George Bush’s fault.

7:52 pm on September 19th, 2012 46

45. In the parlor with a candlestick.

• Brett
    5:52 am on July 9th, 2013 47

I was stationed at Camp Mobile, the heliport just across the street from the main gate of Camp Casey from 1992 to 1993. I spent many a night in downtown TDC and I actually interacted with Yun Kumi on a couple of occasions. I didn’t know her to be a prostitute, but then again I wasn’t surprised to read it. She was an interesting person to say the least and quite honestly strange to be around. She behaved like someone who was developmentally disabled and most of the folks I knew at Camp Mobile steered clear of her. I vividly recall seeing her less than 48 hours before her murder as I walked towards TDC from the gates at Camp Mobile, she was just sort of hanging out on the street and came up to me and my friend as we were walking. She was always laughing and seemed a bit incoherent. I remember that she grabbed me by my arm like she wanted to walk hand in hand with me and I pulled away from her and told her in Hangul that I was on my way to see my girlfriend and wanted to be left alone. She laughed and laughed and then walked off in the other direction. I never got the impression she was dangerous, but she was weirdly unstable in every interaction I had with her. I honestly don’t know if Markle killed her or Lambert killer her or anyone else for that matter, but I do know that she didn’t deserve her fate.

I also recall being locked down after the murder and standing on top of a deuce and a half to see over the Camp Mobile walls in order to watch the protesters at the gate of Camp Casey. I clearly recall going to Camp Casey after the lock down was lifted and seeing “Yankees go home” (sic) spray painted on the ground in front of the gates and getting a chuckle out of the misspelling. It was a terrible time for the ROK and the US Military as well, but fortunately for me I left the ROK at the end of March 1993.

• Infantry Sgt
    10:50 pm on January 10th, 2014 48

I had headcount in the Difac the next morning after the murder. I gave Markle a hard time
    about a black eye he had. He didnt say much at all in return.
    It is feasible that he was attacked and possibly defended himself, then after he left, the jealous” boyfriend” shows up and in a rage , mutilates her and murders her. It is not a clear cut case either way. I can tell you one thing, life at Casey sucked. I would have rather the North attack than endure that boredom again. Hated that place!!!!

Bad Behavior has blocked 31167 access attempts in the last 7 days.