Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 24th, 2010 at 3:29 am

Video Game Addicted Man Kills Mother In Yangju

I guess having a few crazy video game addicts in your country is better than one with a bunch of meth and crackheads:

Technology brings an ever-more sense of reality to video games. Some people, especially those who are in the young impressionable age group, are addicted to this virtual world where they can get away with murder. In some extreme cases, these addicts act out on their deadly impulses. But still there are few legal measures to keep them at bay.

Experts treat game addiction like alcoholism or drug use, saying that treatment can help addicts clean up their act but they remain prone to relapses.

Last Wednesday, a 22-year-old man was arrested for killing his mother for telling him not to play games.

According to Yangju Police, the suspect by the name of Oh stabbed his mother several times while she was taking a nap.

He was quoted as saying, “I was enraged at her constant nagging.” A police officer said that, after he killed his mother, Oh watched TV in a living room for hours and played an Internet-based game at a game arcade near his home using his mother’s credit card.   [Korea Times]

• kevo
    8:49 pm on February 23rd, 2010 1

I think the message here is bad parenting.

• Dan85
    9:18 pm on February 23rd, 2010 2

He had a tough life so we should not punish him so harshly! LOLZ

• alcyone
    9:50 pm on February 23rd, 2010 3

I don't think this is just a problem with internet addiction. While I do not deny it isn't a problem, nor deny that this isn't uncommon, I don't think a normal person can kill his mother and watch TV afterwards just because she was nagging. Article says that he killed her during her nap which makes me think this was premeditated and was not a 'heat of the moment' type murder. The person was obviously mentally unstable for various reasons, and I believe the internet addiction was merely a catalyst to the already unhealthy mind. Rarely an alcoholic would premeditate murder. And perhaps murder happens when someone might be desperate for meth, I would hardly compare the internet with meth or heroine etc. Seems to me that the internet addiction was a convenient scapegoat for why he committed the act. I think the real problem this article suggests is the lack of understanding mental disorders in the health care system. I've seen a TV show recently about a mother who kept collecting, and living in garbage for years and nobody bothered to help her by offering therapy or psychiatric help. Some say its hard to get a job because if you do seek help it will leave records which are not completely confidential.

• Mike
    11:40 am on February 24th, 2010 4

Did she drop any good loot?

• ChickenHead
    12:31 pm on February 24th, 2010 5

"Did she drop any good loot?"

The article said she dropped a Card of Credit.

Not a bad take for the use of a Spell of Sleeping and a simple +1 dagger.

Plus he gets to level-up to a more advanced dungeon.

• Elvis Gabrenas
    4:34 am on March 27th, 2012 6

Just about all of what you claim happens to be supprisingly legitimate and it makes me wonder the reason why I had not looked at this with this light before. Your piece truly did turn the light on for me as far as this specific topic goes. However at this time there is actually one particular point I am not too comfy with and whilst I make an effort to reconcile that with the main idea of the point, permit me see exactly what all the rest of the visitors have to point out.Well done.

Bad Behavior has blocked 30266 access attempts in the last 7 days.