Avatar of GI KoreaBy on March 24th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

No Gun Ri Movie “A Little Pond” Receives Poor Reception At Media Screening

» by in: Korean War

I knew this movie would be crap because of the lies it is spreading in regards to the No Gun Ri tragedy, however I didn’t expect the media to also be turned off by this movie as well:

After nine years in the making, “A Little Pond” — the film that portrays the events around the No Gun Ri Massacre during the Korean War — is finally ready to roll out in theaters nationwide.

The film had its first official press screening at the CGV Wangsimni in Seoul on Thursday to a packed house of reporters, critics, and photographers.

It was a testament to the amount of interest shown toward the infamous No Gun Ri Massacre — the harrowing event that rocked the nation in 1999 when a trio of Associated Press reporters spearheaded by Choe Sang-hun first uncovered the Korean War atrocity.

Prior to its completion, the production had been widely publicized as a project that was described as a labor of love from everyone involved with most of the headlining actors forgoing pay to off-set the lack of funding it received.

The film stars some of Korea’s most acclaimed acting talent like film and theater veterans Moon Seung-keun, Kang Shin-il, Kim Roe-ha, Song Gang-ho, Moon So-ri, and Yu Hae-jin.

But for a film that took so much time, effort, and passion from its cast and crew, it got a lukewarm response from the local press and movie critics.

The post-screening Q&A session with the cast and director was an awkward affair. Reporters who were clearly unimpressed with the film were reluctant to ask critical questions out of respect for the subject matter.  [The Korea Herald via Extra Korea!]

All I have to say is that the director Lee Sang-woo is lucky I wasn’t there to ask him questions.

Tags: ,
  • The Korean
    1:20 pm on March 24th, 2010 1

Not even nationalism can dress up a shitty movie.

• Nathan
    11:15 am on March 25th, 2010 2

They must have shot them all to get that awesome cap that guy in front has.

• Korea Teacher
    12:39 pm on March 31st, 2010 3

Most ppl in Korea are disgusted by the No Gun Ri atrocity as they are by the many other atrocities committed by cowardly American soldiers against unarmed civilians around the world. In fact, this was only one of many movies which casts the Americans as cowardly villains during that war. The top grossiing film in Korea in 2007 was Welcome to Dongmakgol which portrays North and South Koreans working together to kill Americans and defend a peaceful village. I think that YOU are lucky that you weren't at the screening to run your stupid mouth off and get beaten up by kids practicing Tae Kwon Do.

• Hamilton
    1:07 pm on March 31st, 2010 4

I find it oddly appropriate that you cite Dongmakgol a movie based on a fictional story as a reference to No Gun Ri where not a single bone has been recovered despite the intense resorces put into excavating it.

A few years back Lord of the Rings was the top grossing movie worldwide. Somehow I didn't equate that with world wide hatred of orcs or Sauron. Although it may have inspired many to hate the cave trolls of which you clearly identify with. Back to your dear leader board or on your meds whichever applies.

• guitard
    4:39 pm on March 31st, 2010 5

Please ~ don't feed the trolls!!!

• Nathan
    5:40 pm on March 31st, 2010 6

But the racist bastard just assumes all Korean kids know Tae Kwon Do ):

• JoeC
    7:54 pm on March 31st, 2010 7

To call those men, who came to your country to fight for your freedom to say what you are saying, cowards, started to raise some serious hackles on me. But, then I rolled it back, took a deep breath and decided I can't hold your ignorance against you. Even though you say you are a teacher, you are only a product of whats been coming out of the Korean education system for the last decade or so.

I remember the first time I came to Korea, I had all the briefings. War could break out at any time. Expect enemy agents and infiltrators to be everywhere. Blah, blah, blah. In one ear and out the other. So, what. It would never happen. I took none of it seriously, until one day things really did get serious. This was real world bad news. We went on high alert because the President of South Korea got assassinated and no one knew what would happen next. It was only at this point that I first came to realize that I couldn't tell the difference between a North Korean and a South Korean.

American troops have to deal with that fact every day in the middle east. Even an Afghan wearing a police or army uniform on patrol with them could be preparing to shoot them in the back or blow himself up. But that doesn't deter our troops from pressing on with their assigned missions.

Cowardly you say. I suppose you (if you are a man) have had your 2 years of required army duty. You've probably gone through similar briefings to the ones I had, warning you about infiltrators and enemy agents. In one ear and out the next. It would never happen. I hope, to whatever god you may believe in, it never does. Or, you too may come to the realization that you can't tell the difference between a North Korean and South Korean.

Sleep well tonight.

7:57 pm on March 31st, 2010 8

Once again notice the facts I presented you cannot dispute so you resort to advocating violence against me. I think it is safe to say I won this argument. By the way I have given presentation to a room full of Koreans and they all left amazed by how misinformed they had been by the incident by the media and no one resorted Tae Kwon Do.

• Retired GI
    10:49 pm on March 31st, 2010 9

When your a People that depend on OTHERs for your defense and safety, I'm sure Fiction movies about you and those that would kill you (but of the same race), unite to kill those that do protect you, WOULD sell well, to the uneducated sheep.

I wish you well when you unite with your brothers and sisters up north.

The sooner the better. :grin:

I will also enjoy watching the Racism that you will show each other in jobs and romance and whatever else you will find to separate the peoples of the two koreas.

• ChickenHead
    11:26 pm on March 31st, 2010 10

You guys are all treating Korea Teacher as if it is a Korean guy.

I think Korea Teacher is a Canadian woman.

• Seoulman
    2:48 pm on April 25th, 2010 11

I look forward to watching this movie this week. It IS playing at a theatre near me. Years ago I did some research into No Gun Ri and even visited the area with a metal detector and found the Korean version of the incident credible. I found bullets and casings exactly where one would expect to find them based on alleged shooter positions.

It is a shame the South's interest in this part of their history is waning. I guess 60 years of pleading for justice has taken its toll.

• KoreaTeacher
    12:50 am on May 25th, 2010 12

Dongmakgol begins by talking about how the Americans really did bomb civilians. You are no different from a Holocaust denier complaining about a movie showing Nazi atrocities against Jews. The No Gun Ri incident is real as are countless other atrocities committed by cowardly American soldiers around the world, and yes I did say coward. Someone who uses a gun to intimidate unarmed civilians but runs like a scared chicken when trained soldiers appear is a contemptible coward and by the way, this is exactly what American soldiers did in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq (where the Americans have already been forced to pay the resistance for "security" while they retreat) and even now in Afghanistan where the brave American soldiers are abandoning bases even as they resort to using robots to fight for them.

• KoreaTeacher
    12:56 am on May 25th, 2010 13

Freedom! If you knew anything about history you would not say that. American soldiers came to prop up the brutal dictator Lee Syngman after the American government disregarded the Korean Govt. in exile and dismantled the Korean Revolutionary Govt. According to the Republic of Korea (South Korea) Government's truth and Reconciliation commission, this American built govt. massacred at least 100,000 and possibly 200,000 or more of Korean people during the Summer of 1950. I don't hate you or think that you are evil (unlike atrocity denier GI Korea). I just think that you are an ignorant, brain-washed American and I hope that you are not too old to learn the truth about your cynical nation's history.

• Maj. America
    2:38 am on May 25th, 2010 14

yea, you found what Korean forensic investigators couldn't! I call bullshit!

• Seoulman
    3:00 am on May 25th, 2010 15

You can call it whatever you like, Maj. America, but yes, I found items at No Gun Ri that Korean forensic investigators did not. It really wasn't difficult. And there are still many left behind.

And from other genocide sites, I still have a number of teeth and bones etc. some of which has been turned over to the proper authorities and the rest will be shortly.

You should do some reading. The American government has already admitted to much of it. The denial that remains is that of who, if anyone, actually gave the orders to slaughter them and of how many were slaughtered.

• JoeC
    5:07 am on May 25th, 2010 16

Seems to me that you are suggesting that a better outcome would have been if the U.S. and U.N. had just abandoned the peninsular to its fate in 1950? Maybe we should have.

• KoreaTeacher
    5:25 am on May 25th, 2010 17

You misunderstand, Korea would have been a United Country with a West-German style Govt. if it hadn't been for Trumman's backing away from the pro-American Korean Govt. in Exile and his destruction of the Korean Revolutionary Govt. in order to set-up Lee Syngman (who was impeached from the Govt. in Exile for stealing money) as the most brutal dictator in Korea's modern history. If it wasn't for America, Korea would have been united and democratic and the war never would have happened. Before you get angry, look into the history of the American decision to ignore the Govt. in Exile and disband the Revolutionary Govt.

• JoeC
    5:54 am on May 25th, 2010 18

What does any of that have to do with your declaration that American forces are cowardly because some were ordered to fire on civilians?

Thousands of Koreans in uniform on both sides also fired on civilians. But in the Koreans case, many times they knew who was actually a threat or not. What do you have to say about them?

I suggest you take it to a Korean vets site and debate it there first.

12:47 pm on May 25th, 2010 19

Since you can't add anything of substance and like to launch personal attacks welcome to the moderation que.

• Hamilton
    1:29 pm on May 25th, 2010 20

The only coward is you. You can't face the truth that BOTH sides killed civilians during the war. The US accidently did it at times in the chaos of operations as panic set in or NK units intentionally slipped inbetween refugee columns. The NK intentionally killed, hung, tied up and shot hundreds but you couldn't care less, hence a coward.

BTW did you just get released from jail or did your meds run out. Your weak emotion based BS comeback only took two months. Obviously KoreanTeachers can't think for themselves.

• Hamilton
    1:33 pm on May 25th, 2010 21

Double BS Seoulman, the leftists would have promoted you to king. Tens of thousands of them have swarmed that area looking for a smoking gun but no bones were ever found.

You say you found some shells? Great, there are still shells all over Virginia from the Civil War. They don't indicate anything by themselves, could be target practice, could be a battle site, couldn't be a massacre without bodies though. They could even be planted, you guys aren't really big on the truth.

• Seoulman
    4:15 pm on May 25th, 2010 22

Hamilton, when you have climbed and searched as many hills as I have in Korea, read as many first-hand accounts (I have actually verified some of the stories by locating sites and artifacts) then you may make a claim of BS or truth.

Much of what I find is through research BEFORE I hit the mountains and then communicating with locals for more information.

I don't know what you mean by "could even be planted, you guys aren’t really big on the truth."

The sole reason I have involved myself is to search for the truth. If I find something, I KNOW where I got it. And when there are enough items, it usually tells a pretty good story of what happened.

There are too many people armed with newspaper stories and a TV remote. Finding the real stuff buried in the dirt is just so much better.

• ChickenHead
    5:45 pm on May 25th, 2010 23

The REAL story here, Hamilton and Maj. America, is that Seoulman removed artifacts from a site, including human remains, "years ago"… most of which will "shortly" be turned over to proper authorities.

Not exactly scholarly research methods.

However, before you jump on Seoulman, you should ask him for a paper documenting his finds, their context, his conclusions and methodology.

Even an amateur attempt might provide valuable information.

If it turns out he is a pilferer or a contaminator of archeological sites, then it is all bullshyt.

…and science always triumphs over bullshyt.

• Seoulman
    6:46 pm on May 25th, 2010 24

ChickenHead:

I have met with at least two top people (one civilian group, one military task force) in charge of artifact recovery. The civilian group was fully interested in obtaining my finds (only from genocide sites), and not interested in specifics, ie: only general locations. The military task force, did not seem interested in my relatively small (hundreds of bullets, casings, clips, bones, fasteners, etc) collection nor did they seem to care what I was doing. Both parties only seemed concerned with high-profile cases. Therefore, there was no need to spend hours mapping the finds although I can tell often you what came from where usually within a few feet.

And you can rest assured, if I find something of historical nature (and I have, I believe) I will let them know (and I have) so THEY can do the digging. I am NOT interested in pilfering, and I have no problem with handing over the goods. But I'll tell ya, the military sure didn't seem too interested in what looks to be several war-time mass graves I found. Maybe it's only me who thinks they may be important.

And site/artifact contamination? They don't give a rat's ass.

• Maj. America
    9:05 pm on May 25th, 2010 25

Korea has had dozens of war over the centuries with a lot of people losing their lives. There being mass graves showing up in Korea is really not that surprising. If you are saying you found a mass grave site at the No Gun Ri location I am sure you are full of crap, and I will have to call bullshit once again!

Second point even if everything you and other Korean lefties say is true about the incident at No Gun Ri it is hardly a genocide, and doesn't warrant comparison to the Jewish Holcaust where over six million people perished. Stop throwing around the words holcaust and genocide as way of getting your peronal opionions, and racist ideolgies across. It diminshes their meaning when real genocides occur like what is going on in Darfur or what happen in Ruwanda in 1994.

Finally no matter how you want to twist and distort history and make Korea a victim of the U.S you wont be able to because its flat untrue. America liberated Korea from the Japanese, and again from the Stalanist North. Its not the American goverments,people, or militaries fault that it took you people 50+ years to figure out capitalism and democracy and lift your country out of being an American welfare state.

• Seoulman
    11:05 pm on May 25th, 2010 26

I don't know why you're ragging on me. No worries, not interested.

The mass graves I found are NOWHERE NEAR No Gun Ri.

Secondly, let's toss out the semantics. Genocide is the term used by most parties referring to these sites. Collateral damage does not apply as these were INTENTIONAL killings. According to statements by people involved, South Koreans were routinely killed in certain type situations to avoid the possibility of leaving a North Korean spy alive.

Sometimes it was a shot in the back of the head over a hole in the ground, sometimes done by strafing. At one point, pilots were given lee-way to strafe, at their discretion, anything moving from Seoul all the way up the West coast. Try to tell me legitimate refugees were not killed indiscriminately.

I really don't have time for this.

• Seoulman
    11:24 pm on May 25th, 2010 27

Oh, BTW, the graves, I believe, are possibly related to KIA as opposed to 'genocide' type. I don't care to elaborate any further. I'll let the "professionals" deal with it.

• ChickenHead
    1:53 am on May 26th, 2010 28

Seoulman,

Thanks for the reasonable response. I don't exactly agree… but I understand your thinking.

"I don’t know why you’re ragging on me."

That is probably due to your comment that you find the leftist anti-American "Korean version" credible… even though it doesn't seem to be.

There aren't too many leftist America-haters sympathizers on a blog that caters primarily to the United States military community in Korea. Go figure.

GI Korea did a very reasonable job of discrediting the "Korean version". It will take more than a few vague statements on your part to counter that.

"I never said I found human remains at No Gun Ri, although I have found some at other locations."

There is little doubt that one can find human remains in a lot of places in Korea… but that does not indicate American involvement nor does it, in any way, demonstrate the "Korean version" of No Gun-ri to be correct.

"The civilian group was fully interested in obtaining my finds (only from genocide sites), and not interested in specifics, ie: only general locations."

That should be a red flag right there. These sites must be treated as a crime scene to draw honest conclusions. Artifacts/evidence without exact context can be represented to support whatever story is necessary to back up an agenda.

If I was looking for a group to assist me in finding the "truth", this would be a real turn-off.

As for the military, both American and Korean, their lack of concern is understandable. They have other important things to do and nothing to gain here.

Perhaps an archaeology department at a university would be your best bet. If this was my hobby, I certainly would include myself in on the deal… meaning if they would allow me to assist in the dig and give me OJT, I would give them hours of English practice while we did it. (I have done/learned a lot of interesting things in Korea with this arrangement.)

"Therefore, there was no need to spend hours mapping the finds although I can tell often you what came from where usually within a few feet."

Uh-huh. Spoken like a true liberal arts major.

"And site/artifact contamination? They don’t give a rat’s ass."

Well… that isn't the issue… other than from a legal standpoint. If the "truth" is the issue, that should be something YOU are concerned with. If nobody is interested now, save it for future archeologists.

"Thirdly, Americans can pat themselves on the back AFTER they get out of the 135? countries they now have military in. "

This attitude showed through in your original post… hence the ragging. I'm not sure how this relates to the incident at No Gun-ri.

Keep in mind that, apart from Iraq and Afghanistan, America is in the other 133 countries with the blessing of the local governments… and, when asked to leave, America has (Philippines)… and even when trying to leave, have been begged to stay (Germany). Even Korea does its best to delay troop reductions, base consolidations or command & control transfers.

Anyway, that about all about that.

I suppose it isn't the end of the world if you poke around in the woods looking for artifacts… but it is a different matter to draw big conclusion about them…

…and an even different matter to start championing leftist propaganda on an American military website.

I'm not saying don't do it… just be prepared to give solid information that backs up your position to people with finely-tuned bullshyt filters.

• Rei
    2:07 am on May 26th, 2010 29

Are you hostile to the person who is not in the American military? I like meeting new people but maybe you are different :cry:

• Seoulman
    5:43 am on May 26th, 2010 30

"Thanks for the reasonable response. I don’t exactly agree… but I understand your thinking."

Right back at ya!

Just to be clear before I put this baby to rest, I make every effort to keep disturbances to a minimum and as such, you would be hard-pressed to find my digs after the dirt has dried. Also, most of my searches are done in areas where artifacts would rot away long before anyone else would find them. Anyway…

Back to No Gun Ri, my opinion is based on the sum of information obtained from numerous sources. When I visited the site I took with me war-era maps, many of the aerial photos associated with the investigation, and copies of stories describing the alleged events.

GI Korea's story, while appearing to be objective, missed some key points. With a US camp just a few hundred yards upstream? or downstream? (damn, I can't remember which way the water flowed!) I was surprised I did not find any "camp" remains anywhere. That is strange because in my experience, camps are fairly easy to find due the trash left behind. Here, the camp was known, but no garbage. Could the area have been cleaned up, including removing bodies? Cover-up?

The site of the memorial structure above the stairs also caught me off guard. It sits right where ricochets from the West wall would land and in fact it is that general area where I found many of the bullets, all damaged by (apparently) the ricochet. Hard to believe a "forensic" team would miss those.

I do kind of agree with GI Korea's assessment of a much lower number of casualties than claimed on a sign posted at the site. The sign states 250 – 300 casualties from a "gruop (sic) of 500~600 people".

Hard to swallow that.

One last thing:

I read this website occasionally because GI Korea's got some good stuff here and some ideals that don't conflict with my own. I'm not here to bash Americans. I prefer doing that in person (verbally) :-)

12:36 pm on May 26th, 2010 31

I have walked all around the No Gun Ri battle site with maps as well plotting where the firing positions were:

I found the claims of hundreds of people being killed there is just not credible. It was a tragedy on a much smaller scale brought on by the chaos of the war, North Korean infiltrators, and fear that happened at No Gun Ri. The real tragedy of No Gun Ri is that these small scale shootings of civilians was actually wide spread caused by all participants in the war due to the chaos and North Korean/guerrilla infiltration. However, claiming 400 people died by racist, uncaring GI's at No Gun Ri is what Pulitzer Prizes are made of and thus Choe Sang-hun was told to "hype" the story as a Korean My Lai to use his own words:

A tragedy of some kind happened at No Gun Ri, but it is no where near the magnitude the Associated Press claims. The continuing tragedy of No Gun Ri is that the incident has taken on a political context by interested parties both in America and South Korea to bash the American military at the expense of the honor of hundreds of thousands of brave Korean War era veterans that went to fight for the freedom of a country most had never heard of.

• Seoulman
    1:14 pm on May 26th, 2010 32

And THAT, GI Korea, is why I read your pages.

I must say, when I said "credible" earlier, I did not mean in whole. It's just that so many people deny ANYTHING happened there. I meant credible as in SOME kind of tragedy occurred. Sounds like I'm back-peddling but I'm not. I just didn't communicate very well earlier. My bad.

"…these small scale shootings of civilians was actually wide spread…"

Last time I checked, there were more than 60 separate incidents still being investigated.

@ Rei and others:

I have met many great Americans. And Chinese. And Iraqis. And North Koreans (well, some). And (insert country here). But there are always those who think their ideals are better and force those ideals on others. It is those people I can not embrace.

• Vince
    3:00 pm on May 26th, 2010 33

Where were you during that war- or any of the wars you "cite"?

Hiding. Just like you are now.

As for the so-called unarmed civilians, maybe they should have armed themselves.

Oh – wait! Their PREVIOUS masters forbade them to be armed… So they had to wait for a better and stronger people to defend them- and now, you, one of those so defended, has the gall to criticize.

Maybe if you clowns had your own house in order these things wouldn't have happened- but you didn't then, and you don't now, and you'll always need someone to blame because culturally you are children, and always will be.

Sad to see, especially when you meet some of the Old Lions who DID stand up like men and fight for their homes, their land, and their families.

• Hamilton
    3:52 pm on May 26th, 2010 34

Are you only hostile to American Military or are you an equal opportunity American hater?

Did you get fired from your teaching postion or is the change of title a true sockpuppet?

• Rei
    12:18 am on May 28th, 2010 35

Are you hostile to Koreans or only to the ones who don’t agree with you? Haha! Silly question! You probably hate everyone who doesn’t agree with you and you are very happy to say that you are in favor of freedom but you hate when people have freedom to think differently :cool:

• Nah, Younghoon
    4:57 pm on October 18th, 2010 36

It must really be in vogue to bash Americans these days — I thought there were 18 nations of the UN on the allied side.

Hey Number 3 멍청아 너 "cowardly American soldiers against unarmed civilians" 섰는데 –who do you think you are kidding? Go visit the war memorial in Seoul and take a look at the name of the American dead.

1. Where is any tangible proof of this massacre? Photos? Film? Soldier's diary? All there seems to be is rumor -the testimony of survivors who would have been like 10-years old at the time. I might add that these are North Koreans. Show me some hard evidence.

2. Considering the distance and shipping methods of the day munitions for the allied troops were in short supply — and they called in air strikes for 300 civilians on a train track?

3. The US troops knew the civilians were unarmed — why did they shoot at them from a distance?

Most likely there were NK troops that shot their own people for being "traitors" by fleeing south. But we know the kind wonderful North, patterned off of Stalins Russia (remember scorched earth?), would never hurt their own people -right?

Finally, I'm glad for the two scenes of whales flying through the air — I'm glad for this imagery because it alludes to this film's kind of biased, unbalanced, fantasy and fabrication.

• Tikoya
    9:56 pm on January 27th, 2013 37

i honestly don’t think they knew those were civilians, but when hey came home they didn’t get a warm welcome any way.Once the Americans found out they shunned them even thought they couldn’t tell the difference, because they were sending their kind to fight so shit. The American citizen found out about the innocent people who were killed, but anyway North Koreans be killing each other anyway. Your dear leader is starving his people anyway. The United States and other country’s have sent billions of dollar and aid to North Korea, but guess who chooses what he gives his people and when and how much. Your dear leader. Their a documentary out about some American doctor who went to North Korea.

It was SAD…. the people were so skinny and the kids were begging…

The hospitals were so dirty. They didn’t have enough and hardly any equipment. They had no IV and machinate. Our doctor brought them equipment and taught them how to use it. They didn’t even know how to preform common surgery’s that their people needed.

North Korean prison are horrible the people be eating their kids. One woman chopped her son up and sold him to get 1 pound bag of grain.

So don’t you dare say we ruined ya’ll or killed your people when to be honest if things keep up in NK, the NK citizens might die from hunger no offense. were trying to help NK even though they hate us. 1st grow up if you can’t wake up in the morning and eat a big, nice, health breakfast then you should not be worried about the US. You need to worry about getting you country in line with the other country’s.

• Tikoya
    10:02 pm on January 27th, 2013 38

And Seoulman

no one forced their ideas on anyone we just tried to separated the 2 due to their beliefs. However, the NK would not stand for not getting all the land and making every one in Korea suffer(like NK is now). i believe in freedom of speech, life and liberty,but please if your going to down talk Americans be a civilize civilization.

Bad Behavior has blocked 30652 access attempts in the last 7 days.