Michelle Wie wins the CN Canadian Women’s Open

» by in: Sports Related

She shot a final round 70 to finish three shots ahead of Kristy McPherson, Jiyai Shin, Suzann Pettersen, and Jee Young Lee.

Wie opened Sunday tied for the lead at minus ten with Shin. Both golfers made an early bogey to fall back to minus nine.
This allowed Pettersen, Lee, and a red hot Kyeong Bae to get within one of the lead.

On the 8th hole, Wie got the lead to herself and never was tied again. She made a birdie putt from less than ten feet as Shin couldn’t get it up and down from a bunker. Michelle was up by two with ten holes to go.

Wie birdied holes 13, 14, and 15 to open up a four-shot lead. The 13th and 14th holes were par 5′s. Shin and Wie both made birdie from less than ten feet. On the 14th Wie hit her second shot into a greenside bunker and made a mediocre sand shot. No problem- Wie ran in a twenty footer for birdie as Shin scrambled for par. Her third birdie was a chip-in from just off the back of the green. She made a great par on 16 after a bad drive and an approach shot into a bunker. She did make a three-putt bogey on 17 but 18 was a safe walk in the park for her. A good drive and approach, two putts for par and the victory. Wie now has two LPGA Tour wins, but neither happened in the United States. Her first win was the Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Mexico last November.

Curiously enough my family ate the exact same dinner, Chicken Parmesan served with Penne pasta, when Wie won both her tournaments. I make this dinner on average about every six weeks, but usually not with Penne. If Michelle Wie reads this, she may ask me to make this food when she’s in contention. Cue the sarcastic laughter.

Today’s win was as impressive as her first. She played steady golf and made timely birdies. A television announcer said the win will put Wie at #7 in the Rolex rankings which are already a crowded fight for #1.

Other comments

*- Will Golf World magazine put Wie on its cover this week? Ai Miyazato has won 5 LPGA tournaments this year, Yani Tseng won two major championships, but GW never once put them on the cover. Instead we the magazine’s subscribers got to see Anthony Kim and Arjun Atwel featured.

I think Golf World won’t take a pass on a Wie cover but its editors and writers have proved to be dumb and clueless before and they could do it again.

*- At no time during the golf broadcast was a mention made of the cheating controversy I blogged about today and yesterday. This is a little surprising because announcer Judy Rankin has been known to check the internet and make mention of something she read.

*- Suzann Pettersen again couldn’t make birdie putts when in contention. She had four or five good to very good chances at least for birdie today.

*- LPGA’s live scoring had Jee Young Lee making an eagle on ten and pulling to one behind Wie. It was a mistake, Lee only made a birdie. Lee’s run at the title was spoiled by back to back bogeys on 11 and 12.

*- *- Will Jiyai Shin retake #1 in the Rolex rankings? She, Ai Miyazato, and Cristie Kerr are closely grouped and Shin finished 2nd today where as her rivals finished T15 and T8 respectively.

Shin remains #4 in the world rankings behind Ai Miyazato, Cristie Kerr, and Suzann Pettersen.

Also blogging about Wie’s win- Hound Dog and The Constructivist at Mostly Harmless

Tags: ,
  • Tom
    8:33 am on August 29th, 2010 1

Check the videos, make sure she didn't cheat. She has Korean blood.

:lol:

• Tom Langley
    10:40 am on August 29th, 2010 2

If I was a golf official & I found out that she was cheating I think I'd make a little trade.

• Cloying_odor
    7:58 pm on August 29th, 2010 3

Don't worry, her father will be along shortly to sabotage her career… again.

• mashimaro
    11:10 pm on August 29th, 2010 4

I was wondering if anyone knew why the stryker vehicles were lined with bars all around them? http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f152/

• Ole 1st Tanker.
    3:43 am on August 30th, 2010 5

MASHIMARO,

The average American soldier has a lot of gear that takes a lot of storage space.

The sturdy wire cage is a "all around" bustle rack for soldiers to store their gear because there is not enough room inside.

There is no gear in your picture because this Stryker is on a short mission, all of the gear was left at basecamp.

If you look at the news clips from the last Combat Units leaving Iraq you can see all of the gear stored in the bustle rack.

• Tom Langley
    8:18 am on August 30th, 2010 6

Mashimaro #4. The bars around the stryker vehicle are to cause rocket propelled grenades(RPG'S) to pre-detonate to protect the stryker. During the Vietnam war cyclone fencing was sometimes placed around firebases to do the same thing. The outside of the RPG'S warhead is made of aluminum & when it hits the cyclone fence or the protective bars on the stryker it will cause the round to predetonate. You could store gear on it as well but that is not the reason that it was installed. I'd like to stick my Really Powerful Gonads(RPG) in Michelle Wie.

• Ole 1st Tanker.
    8:47 am on August 30th, 2010 7

Thanks Tom,

I was actually quite pleased and amused as I did my comment. I just don't like answering questions of s possible technical nature, even if the answer and source seem harmless. Holdover from the cold war era.

• Tom Langley
    9:06 am on August 30th, 2010 8

Ole 1st Tanker, I'm glad you wrote your comment #7. When I read your comment #5 I thought to myself, Old 1st Tanker-I don't think he was a tanker. I was a combat medic & later a 91C(Practical Nurse) so my comments about the cyclone fencing and the stryker armored vehicle were from publicly available information, I was never in an armored unit but I appreciate your wanting to keep a lid on military information.

• Teadrinker
    9:06 am on August 30th, 2010 9

#1,

"Fact #3, she’s just a loser anyway, so who cares. "

• Ole 1st Tanker.
    9:28 am on August 30th, 2010 10

Tom,

In the 80's I remember a German in a bar asking me, "Zo wat kind of eengine is in zee M1 tank"

I thought, "That is common knowledge, just read "Janes Armored Vehicles."

So, why would he ask. Ulterior motives?

Now I just say, "Google it.?

• Ole 1st Tanker.
    9:30 am on August 30th, 2010 11

My bad.

• Tom Langley
    9:40 am on August 30th, 2010 12

Ole 1st Tanker #10 You should have told him that the engine was a souped up VW beetle engine lol. Thanks for the link, very interesting.

• mashimaro
    10:57 am on August 30th, 2010 13

Thanks for the explanation. I just couldn't figure it out on my own.

• umustbjoking
    9:37 pm on September 3rd, 2010 14

Funny how racist koreans claim she is korean. Just like all Kor-Ams..koreans beat their chest. korea claims fame cuz korea has nothing to contribute to the world in sports. The are sore losers in the Olympics…and world cup…world baseball league….and any competition. Blame the other guy/gal/country when they lose!

Bad Behavior has blocked 30661 access attempts in the last 7 days.