Avatar of GI KoreaBy on September 13th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Journalist Captured By Taliban Tweets His Location On Twitter

» by in: Afghanistan

This article is interesting not so much in regards to the captured journalist using Twitter to Tweet his location, but it gives a glimpse on who some of the so called Taliban are:

A Japanese freelance journalist freed after a five-month hostage ordeal in Afghanistan says he used Twitter to announce he was still alive under the noses of his captors, who did not understand English.

Kosuke Tsuneoka, 41, who had been missing in northern Afghanistan since April, was speaking in Tokyo following his hand-over Saturday to the Japanese embassy in Kabul.

Addressing the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan on Tuesday, he said he was held hostage by a military faction called Hizb-i-Islami (Islamic Party), which is allied with the government of President Hamid Karzai.

Tsuneoka said that one of his captors “came to me with a Nokia N-70 model which was the latest among their mobile phones and asked me how to use it. I thought it was a chance.”

He called telephone operators to activate the Internet access then in basic Farsi showed his captors how to go online, accessing Al Jazeera’s website, he said.

“Then I told them there is a thing called ‘Twitter’. They asked me to show them what it was, so I sent Twitter messages with the phone in front of them. Because nobody understood English, it was no problem.”

The September 3 posts on the micro-blogging website — a short message that said “i am still alive, but in jail”, followed by a second tweet giving his location — were Tsuneoka’s first signs of life in months.

Tsuneoka said he was still unsure why he was released the following day. “I don’t think there is any correlation,” he said.

He supported a statement by his government that no ransom money was paid.

On Saturday, he said, he was told he would be freed that day. “They told me to shampoo my hair, so I washed my hair, half in doubt,” he said.

Tsuneoka, who is a convert to Islam, added: “They said I would be released because I am a Muslim, but I doubt it, because they don’t even pray. I’ve never seen mujahedeen (holy warriors) who don’t pray to God.”  [AFP]

Read the rest at the link, but this group that captured the journalists were likely just local uneducated thugs working for some local strongman to make money and take up the Taliban name so people take them seriously.  It worked in regards to this journalist who will not say whether a ransom was paid for his release or not.

Tags: ,
  • Tom
    10:54 am on September 13th, 2010 1

" but this group that captured the journalists were likely just local uneducated thugs working for some local strongman to make money and take up the Taliban name so people take them seriously. "

—-

sounds like your regular English teachers in Korea. :lol:

• LG DACOM Stinks, Roy
    2:36 pm on September 13th, 2010 2

English teachers pretend to be educated so that people take them seriously. This article sounds like Korean guys racketeering 다방, dreaming of being yakuza.

• maui
    6:39 am on September 14th, 2010 3

LG….. Touche

• Teadrinker
    8:26 pm on September 14th, 2010 4

#1, 2

Please. My diplomas are real. You'd both be lucky to have attended the schools I went to.

• Retired GI
    4:11 am on September 15th, 2010 5

Please. I think thy does protest too much. Get you're money back teadrinker. You have two Masters Degrees and teach english in Korea. But you don't know how to use the adverb "too" in a sentense.

Granted, it is a common mistake—for those of us not as lucky as you. :roll:

A Liberal Progressive from Canada should know better. ;-)

Fear not teadrinker. I know you're edumacated.

• JoeC
    6:28 am on September 15th, 2010 6

"But you don’t know how to use the adverb "too" in a sentense [sic]."

Huh, I missed it. What sentence required a "too"?

• Retired GI
    8:01 am on September 15th, 2010 7

The last one.

8:22 am on September 15th, 2010 8

I'm not sure I see it. The "too" can be replaced with "also, as well" and there is no where in that sentence where it would work. Are you messing wuth us rGI?

• Teadrinker
    9:42 am on September 15th, 2010 9

"But you don’t know how to use the adverb “too” in a sentense."

You got me. I can't write a "sentense", but I've been known to write a few sentences, though.

Clearly, you didn't go TO school.

• Teadrinker
    9:44 am on September 15th, 2010 10

PS. GI loves to bust my balls, and I dish it back. It's all in jest.

• Retired GI
    8:35 pm on September 15th, 2010 11

Yea teadrinker, you're the closest that I have to a friendly adversarial relationship.

(and I tried to be so carefull in the spelling too)

What was the subject of this thread again?

• Teadrinker
    9:31 am on September 16th, 2010 12

The hell if I know. ;-)

9:36 am on September 16th, 2010 13

#11 I think it was Korean club owners (good neighbors) twittering on USFK golf courses. :lol:

• Tom
    11:46 pm on September 16th, 2010 14

"Please. My diplomas are real. You’d both be lucky to have attended the schools I went to."

No, just because you got a diploma from Thailand's diploma manufacturing company, doesn't mean it's real.

:lol:

Bad Behavior has blocked 36444 access attempts in the last 7 days.