Avatar of GI KoreaBy on November 4th, 2010 at 3:04 am

Election Results Further Show What A Phony Organization VoteVets Is

» by in: Politics-US

It is always good to see veterans getting elected to Congress and this year was a especially good year for veterans:

The number of veterans in Congress with first-hand experience of the current wars will more than double next year, after voters backed a slate of new Republican veteran candidates Tuesday night.

In all, at least eight Republican veteran candidates won House seats, and Illinois Republican Mark Kirk — who served briefly in Iraq and Afghanistan — grabbed the Senate seat formerly held by President Barack Obama.

But Democratic veterans didn’t fare as well. Pennsylvania Rep. Patrick Murphy, an Army vet who was the first Iraq war veteran elected to Congress, failed in his re-election bid, as did Air Force reservist Ohio Rep. John Boccieri.

Murphy, first elected in 2006, was a vocal opponent of the Iraq war during his first term and led House efforts to repeal the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” law in recent months. On Wednesday morning, gay rights groups and liberal veterans organizations mourned his defeat, calling it a key loss for Democrats’ defense credentials. [Stars & Stripes]

Read the rest at the link about who else got elected. There is one race that is still too close to call that could bring the veteran total to 10. By the way these election results show what a phony organization VoteVets is considering they decided to not endorse Republican veteran candidates and instead decided to demonize them.

• Maj. America
    8:43 pm on November 3rd, 2010 1

It is not named voteanyvet.org. The Republican veterans that votevets decided not to endorse were those that were Tea Party back candidates that possess very polarizing views and in organization without any ties to one party an endorsement for those candidates could have been very detrimental to the credibility of the organizations future support of vet candidates..

• Teadrinker
    10:36 pm on November 3rd, 2010 2

#1,

:lol:

I guess you've robbed GI Korea of the opportunity to bring these guys up next time someone mentions the Swift Vets.

• Pete
    6:30 am on November 4th, 2010 3

Veteran does not have the same meaning as in the past. At one time it stood for an individual who was probably a draftee and did his duty for his country. Now it could be any indvidual man/woman who volunteered to enter the military looking for economic opportunity and to do a job.

Many times you hear Soldiers say "I was just doing my job" as compared to the old vets saying "I was doing my duty."

• Vince
    8:14 am on November 4th, 2010 4

#1 — Yeah– any candidate who would focus on the US Constitution has no credibility. We should all melt together in the brand of "unity" which the left espouses, all in the name of "civility"!

• Maj. America
    8:44 am on November 4th, 2010 5

@4

I am by no means espousing anything from the left. I disagree with a lot of the policies that the Obama Admin. is pushing forward. However, I fail to see how that equates to constitution being somehow trampled upon, just because policies or an agenda I disagree with is being implemented. Yes, Political civility is very much needed in our country.

• Vince
    9:54 am on November 4th, 2010 6

Why is "civility" so needed? Socratic type question…

My observations- and I might be wrong- always seem to have the left jumping up and down about "civility" when they are getting their butts handed to them. Again- I may be mistaken.

• someotherguy
    10:24 am on November 4th, 2010 7

@5,

Your opinion disagrees with his therefor your opinion doesn't count because you must be a socialist nazi democrat.

Really that is the absolute worst thing about recent politics, the complete and utter need to demonize anyone and everyone who disagrees with someone's political view.

• john
    10:32 am on November 4th, 2010 8

#6

Um, last I checked Dem still control Senate and White House. It was a split decision, not exactly getting butts handed to them.

• john
    10:36 am on November 4th, 2010 9

Aha, http://www.swiftvets.com/index.php Still around.

• jslim
    10:40 am on November 4th, 2010 10

split decision??? hahahahha yeah nice spin homie

• Vince
    1:49 pm on November 4th, 2010 11

Additionally, the political left generally represents big government, and focuses on "human rights" and "civil rights" and seems to fold health care, jobs,education, and so on into these so-called "rights".

I don't want a government to dispense anything to me. I do want them to defend my borders, not burden commerce, and stay within their enumerated powers.

Some people just want to be left the hell alone, and not be burdened by others who make chronic bad choices. Other people depend on others for their care and feeding to the point they are complete blood suckers.

• Maj. America
    2:15 pm on November 4th, 2010 12

@10

I like how you say "human rights" and "civil rights" like they are pejoratives. That shows everybody where people like you are coming from.

• Teadrinker
    2:30 pm on November 4th, 2010 13

"Those Swift Boat vets were REALLY bad. They actually served with one of the guys who ran and DARED say what a bag-o-sh11t he is. How dare they!"

You're one not to let his opinions be hindered by facts, hey?

• Vince
    4:37 pm on November 4th, 2010 14

Yeah- I'm a bigot. A now fairly meaningless epithet.

Most folks clamoring for those two categories have some axe to grind. My approach for their issue is to leave them the hell alone if they aren't bothering anyone- and by bothering anyone, I mean causing them obstacles to prevent life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.

I served in the naval service, much later on, with men who knew him and served with Mr. Kerry first hand. It wasn't complimentary. I was too young to have served in Viet Nam.

• Vince
    4:38 pm on November 4th, 2010 15

Wikipedia… A REAL academic source, that one.

• Jimmie
    8:13 pm on November 4th, 2010 16

Wikpedia is more accurate than any single web site you can quote. But – absolutely nothing you read on the internet is the whole truth. If you can't look at both sides of an issue and think for yourself, you don't deserve to be heard (read).

• Teadrinker
    8:40 pm on November 4th, 2010 17

#15,

And this is worthy of a doctoral dissertation:

“Those Swift Boat vets were REALLY bad. They actually served with one of the guys who ran and DARED say what a bag-o-sh11t he is. How dare they!”"

Besides, Wikipedia is probably as unbiased source as they come because of its democratic nature.

• Teadrinker
    8:44 pm on November 4th, 2010 18

"I served in the naval service, much later on, with men who knew him and served with Mr. Kerry first hand. It wasn’t complimentary. I was too young to have served in Viet Nam."

Yeah, and when I was a kid a few of my friends swore they knew someone whose aunt once was in an elevator with Eddy Murphy.

• Vince
    8:44 pm on November 4th, 2010 19

I stand corrected. I am ashamed that I didn't agree with everything liberals say. You are The Future, and the Hope for Change in our own Great Leap Forward.

I can't wait to pay for it while others who have their hands out benefit from it.

My kids can't wait to pay for it either.

Did I demonize anyone there? I'm sorry. I am trying to be civil but it's hard when someone is telling me that it's OK for people to have their hands in my pocket. And my childrens' pockets.

• Teadrinker
    8:56 pm on November 4th, 2010 20

#19,

Dude, the people who have their hands in your pockets are the corporations…and they have your government in theirs.

• Hamilton
    8:56 pm on November 4th, 2010 21

Vince, your Children's futre Children aren't getting off either!

• john
    2:45 am on November 5th, 2010 22

#10

Yeah, that's what I said.

• Vince
    9:35 am on November 5th, 2010 23

I worked for a BIG EVIL CORPORATION for a while… It was far from perfect. Corporations exist — TO MAKE MONEY. That money goes into pockets. The pockets of those who have invested in the company.

This company trained me up in several marketable areas. We provided services to household customers and businesses. These people paid us money for that service. They were able to enjoy the results of our services and prosper. My paycheck allowed me to make improvements on my house. I hired additional workers we needed to serve our customers. They made money- by providing service to our customers. Our customers prospered.

If our evil corporation got some tax breaks which allowed us to put money back into the company -or into my stocks, or the company's pockets, game on. That money went right back out as a marketable service which helped others to do their thing, which allowed our community to prosper.

Some of us had money or time left over- and guess what- we willingly donated some of it to help others who, for whatever reason, were going through hard times. Some of those hard times may have been self-inflicted, some not. We didn't care. But the big difference was that we were helping because we wanted to, because we could, and all of our assistance was going to the target audience. It wasn't lost in graft or a bureaucracy, and for the most part, it was in our community.

• Teadrinker
    12:33 am on November 7th, 2010 24

#23,

Tax breaks are just the tip of the iceberg.

• Vince
    1:54 am on November 7th, 2010 25

I guess it's just better to dole out money from people who paid it to people who didn't work for it.

• JoeC
    7:27 pm on November 10th, 2010 26

VoteVets co-founder, Jon Stolyz, will be deploying to Iraq.

Bad Behavior has blocked 30835 access attempts in the last 7 days.