Canadian police mistake skunk for a marijuana grow-op

» by in: Canada

Oliver MacQuat is raising a stink about it too.

A rural Gatineau, Que., family is angry at police who raided their home armed with loaded guns looking for a marijuana grow-op, which turned out to only be a skunk that lived on their property.

Auto mechanic Oliver MacQuat was home alone just before 8 p.m. Thursday when he saw flashing lights outside.

He thought a small water-bottling plant next door was being robbed, but then he heard a knock at his door.

The father of two was met by Gatineau officers who declared they had a warrant to search his home and arrest him.

“I thought I was going to have a heart attack,” said MacQuat, who was handcuffed and seated on a stool while officers searched his home.

“That scared the living daylights out of me. They were very respectful, but it’s very humiliating to be wearing handcuffs and to have people going through your house.”

He was told the skunk smell — which is noticeable when driving by — was also similar to that of a grow-op.

MacQuat insisted the skunk thought it was spring after the unusually mild winter weather but police were adamant it wasn’t a skunk.- Toronto Sun

MacQuat has every right to be angry. He and his wife’s life were put in danger by overreaching police. Don’t law enforcement need more than a smell for probable cause?

Hat tip- The Agitator

• setnaffa
    8:16 am on January 10th, 2011 1

Wow. Those cops must not get out much. Or maybe I don't. I admit it's been a while since I was in Garberville, CA; but it never smelled like skunk to me… :mrgreen:

• Roboseyo
    9:10 am on January 10th, 2011 2

The Vancouver police would NEVER have made that mistake.

• Bubba
    12:43 pm on January 10th, 2011 3

This report stinks.

• Tom Langley
    3:31 pm on January 10th, 2011 4

I've smoked my share of marijuana in my life but none of it ever smelled like a skunk.

• Retired GI
    3:41 pm on January 10th, 2011 5

I've smoked dope, chewed rope, drove big trucks and fell drunk in the street. I have also smelled skunk. Not even close.

• ChickenHead
    4:37 pm on January 10th, 2011 6

Better not let them hear about the Toranto Blue Jays or the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

At least they knocked on the door.

In the States, it would have been flahbangs, CS, a shotgun blast to the doorknob and a bullet to the head for the family dog…

…when a traffic stop as the guy picks up a sixpack from 7-11 will do.

These days, the police think they are SWAT and SWAT thinks they are SF.

Thanks for nothing, Homeland Security grants.

PS… remember those drones that were only going to be used on terrorists? Yeah, well, about that…

• Jupiter
    2:05 pm on January 11th, 2011 7

Detecting the 'smell of marijuana' is certainly considered probable cause, prompts a lot of car and home searches. They're just doing their part to defend the American people from the scourge of this deadly, deadly plant :roll:

• Retired GI
    2:13 pm on January 11th, 2011 8

ChickenHead, they still use the small black helicopters down here. I think —

Bad Behavior has blocked 29683 access attempts in the last 7 days.