Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 9th, 2012 at 9:38 pm

SS Flag Picture Is Latest Media Attack Against the US Marines

» by in: US Military

For those that haven’t seen this yet here is the latest bashing of the US Marine Corps by the media:

The Marine Corps on Thursday once again diddamage control after a photograph surfaced of a sniper team inAfghanistan posing in front of a flag with a logo resembling that of the notorious Nazi SS — a special unit that murdered millions of Jews, gypsies and others.

The Corps said in a statement that using the symbol was not acceptable.

However, it was a naive mistake made by Marines who believed theSS symbol was meant to represent sniper scouts and never intended to associate themselves with a racist organization, said Maj. Gabrielle Chapin, a spokeswoman at Camp Pendleton.

The Marines in the image will not be disciplined because investigators determined there was no malicious intent, Chapin said.

Instead, the Corps used the incident as a training tool to talk to troops about what symbols are acceptable after it became aware of the photograph last November.

The image has since surfaced on an Internet blog.  [Associated Press]

So it seems that every knucklehead in the military the uploads something questionable on the Internet is now a basis for a major media story.  Just by reading the court martial results far worse things then this picture happen in the military, but since there usually isn’t any pictures the media mostly ignores it.  I believe this SS flag story is just lazy journalism where these reporters can sensationalize a picture and draw attention to themselves without doing any actual work that real journalism requires.  In the past this SS flag story was something that would strictly be blog material, but now it appears the mainstream journalists often act just like the bloggers they often look down on.

With that all said I do believe the snipers intent was to use the SS flag to mean Scout Snipers and not honor the Nazi SS.  Supposedly using the lightning bolt SS sign is something the scout snipers have been doing for quite some time.  If so it would probably be wise for the Marine Corps to ensure their snipers are no longer affiliating themselves with this flag.

Tags: ,
  • ChickenHead
    9:44 pm on February 9th, 2012 1

So what…

Set your tinfoil hat to “neutralize” and read this…

• Conway Eastwood
    11:06 pm on February 9th, 2012 2

I can understand getting offended over pissing on dead bodies, but this? Come on. This is getting out of hand.

• kushibo
    12:25 am on February 10th, 2012 3

Hmm… of all the ways to write “SS,” they had to choose that one? I don’t know, it does seem like it was pretty stupid what they did, but if it turns out to have been an innocent (even if ignorant) mistake, then change it and move on. I mean, geez, it’s not like were putting swastikas on display.

That said, I don’t know if this is really an example of a “media attack” on the military. I think a similar reaction might have occurred had it been a corporate or academic venue where it was used.

• Lemmy
    12:46 am on February 10th, 2012 4

Anyone and I mean anyone who knows anything about the the German SS would immediately associate that flag with them. It is a horrifying symbol for millions of people and I am sure that anyone in the Marines who saw that flag knew the resemblence.

I would almost guarantee the command knew about the flag and thus the “no action taken” clause goes into play.

Another example of how American values and ethics in our armed forces are set-aside by certain individuals.

That flag is repulsive, offensive, and disgust a lot of people.

• Vince
    12:51 am on February 10th, 2012 5

Maybe so, but the bolts have been around in the STA community for many many moons.

Funny no one noticed until now– some 30 years later.

• ChickenHead
    12:54 am on February 10th, 2012 6

Kushibo,

California Governor Jerry Brown posing with overt communist symbolism…

…and Commies killed far more than Nazis.

…of course, in Kalifornia, communist symbolism isn’t worthy of media attention.

• kushibo
    3:39 am on February 10th, 2012 7

The California Bear Flag predates Karl Marx’s Manifesto by two years.

• eddy
    5:13 am on February 10th, 2012 8

:cry: It is the sad reality. No mistake in the picture.

• ChickenHead
    10:37 am on February 10th, 2012 9

Kushibo,

I know. I looked it up to see how far I could run with it.

I knew some good fact-checkers like you, Teadrinker, and Glans would call me on it immediately if I tried to BS my way through it too far.

Instead, I have to indignantly question how Lenin and Stalin could blatantly steal the red star and bear from a certain California symbology of the reactionary bourgeois.

• Chemlightbatteries
    11:23 am on February 10th, 2012 10

I have heard that those lightning bolts predate NAZI use. Going back to Nordic times I think. Not to mention the Swastika is a reversed symbol used in Korea and other parts of Asia symbolizing…some kind of circular cycle? (Feel free to correct me as I haven’t fact checked.) I am sure anyone who has spent enough time in the ROK has encountered one before. I guess the symbolism associated with the bolts is just too potent for people to get the f**K over it and let those Marines do there damned jobs in peace.

• kushibo
    12:13 pm on February 10th, 2012 11

No need to explain, ChickenHead (#9). We already know you’re usually (and deliberately) full of shyte. ;-)

• Vince
    1:45 pm on February 10th, 2012 12

If they’d only worn Che Guevara T shirts, it would have been OK.

• USFKisWasteofTaxDollars
    7:47 pm on February 10th, 2012 13

The media is run by Jew’s. Why would anyone be surprised by this PC nonsense.

• Ole Tanker
    8:20 pm on February 10th, 2012 14

#13 You are an antisemetic idiot!

• Ole Tanker
    8:31 pm on February 10th, 2012 15

News Flash!!! The Marines pissing on Taliban corpses were UNCIRCUMSIZED!!!The heathen swine bastards. :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Vince
    8:42 pm on February 10th, 2012 16

#13– Run by (a) Jew’s what? Which Jew? His what? Or were you trying to say “the media is run by Jew is…” which leaves me confused, but no less intrigued.

Help us out. The anticipation has us on the edge of our seats. You’re obviously on to something big.

Or, is it, “…your on to something…”?

• Ole Tanker
    8:59 pm on February 10th, 2012 17

I think # 13 meant “Jewess” but got lost on the keyboard!
    Those big boobie gurls think Marines are HOT!! :cool:

• Dragonfly
    11:33 am on February 12th, 2012 18

“Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.” (Copied from another source)

I guess all it takes is one prick to use it to symbolize mass genocide and the attempted subjugation of Europe to wreck it for everyone.

• Rock
    2:01 pm on February 12th, 2012 19

If those Marines were products of the US public school system, I can believe they were not taught anything abour what the Nazis did prior to or during World War II….

• USFKisWasteofTaxDollars
    8:09 pm on February 12th, 2012 20

Ole Tanker are you a Jew? Or just a master-baiter?

• Ole Tanker
    8:27 pm on February 12th, 2012 21

#20.

I’ve been accused of both! What are you? :cool:

• Ole Tanker
    8:42 pm on February 12th, 2012 22

Somehow I suspected why Mila Kunis accepted the invitation to the USMC Birthday ball. :cool:

• JoeC
    2:29 pm on February 14th, 2012 23

An interview with the person who reported the situation to the Marines’ IG.

4:33 pm on February 14th, 2012 24

You know the world is going to Hell when your last “honorable” enemies were the Nazis.

My grandfather fought them and had a great deal of respect for them.

• Ole Tanker
    5:58 pm on February 14th, 2012 25

Some of us are more sensitive to history than these Marines. The symbol painted on my tank in Operation Desert Storm was a Skull and Crossbones (without a lower jaw bone), direct copy of the German Panzertrup emblem.

Now the SS had a Skull and Crossbone emblem too, with the lower jaw bone.

So, I plead quasi guilty of doing the same thing the Marines did.

I may have also pissed on Iraqi equipment but no dead corpses with just the thrill of Victory like Patton had pissing in the Rhein river. :cool:

• setnaffa
    7:26 pm on February 14th, 2012 26

Pirates used skulls and crossed bones in the 17th century you maladjusted troll.

You’re just as bad as the nork apologist of post #20…

If you want Quakers, Hippies, #OWS, and perverts like Ward Churchill fighting your wars for you, use them instead… The US Marines are trained to kill people and break things. And they’re every bit as good at it as anyone ever was.

The Nazis were good at killing civilian hostages, retaliation bombings like Rotterdam and the Warsaw Ghetto. The SS were particularly clever at killing unarmed Jews and political dissidents. They kept meticulous records, which (in many cases) were used at their trials.

Stop making these false comparisons like being a grunt in Kunduz is the same as killing helpless women and children at Ravensbrück. It is nothing like that.

Stop making these false comparisons like being a grunt in Kunduz is the same as working in a corporate office in Cupertino or Daly City. It is nothing like that.

And stop facilitating those who do. It’s as intellectually dishonest as Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” speech followed by half-assed “nation-building” exercises that led to increased casualties on both sides..

• Glans
    11:46 pm on February 15th, 2012 27

Many units, from many countries, have worn the Death’s Head. The Swastika was around long before the Nazis, and is still widely used in non-Western cultures. As far as I know, the SS rune has a stronger association with the Schutzstaffel than with anything else, so it’s unfortunate that a Marine unit adopted it. Not horrible, just unfortunate.
    By the way, a junior SS officer named Walter Heck sold his organization the rights to the rune for 2.5 Reichsmarks. So the Marines may have been violating a trademark!

Bad Behavior has blocked 32219 access attempts in the last 7 days.