Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 24th, 2012 at 3:24 am

Five Dead In Shooting At Korean Spa In Atlanta

Here is some tragic news involving the Korean community in Atlanta:

Five people were killed at a Korean spa in the U.S. State of Georgia during a shooting rampage that occurred late Tuesday (local time).

The Korean gunman walked into the spa on the outskirts of Atlanta, got into an argument and then shot four people before taking his own life. About 20 people were inside the spa when the shooting took place.

Local police confirmed the death toll, but did not provide any details on the shooter nor the victims. However, a Korean embassy official in Atlanta said the suspect is the brother-in-law of the owner of the spa, and that the victims were all Korean.

A police investigation is currently underway.  [Chosun Ilbo]

According to the Washington Post apparently the shooter a 59 year old Korean man named Jeong Soo Paek committed the shooting after earlier being kicked out of the sauna for being rowdy.

Tags: ,
  • lemmy
    9:43 am on February 24th, 2012 1

There’s no happy ending here.

• keyinjpop
    1:59 pm on February 24th, 2012 2

#1 I’m guessing it’s not that kind of spa cause if it was the only kind of shooting would be, uh on second thought, this is a family-friendly site ;-) .

• lemmy
    3:09 pm on February 24th, 2012 3

GI Korea, post the stats for Korean mass murderers. The Korean’s have got to be some of the best shots of any immigrant populace. 5 here 31 there……

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported the BiL and Spa primary owner were concluding a business meeting and the BiL shot him over a money dispute.

• usinkorea
    4:39 pm on February 24th, 2012 4

My hometown is about an hour above that area. I remember back in the 1990s while I was here in Korea – I read about a bust of a Korean massage parlor near my high school run by the mafia out of Atlanta’s Korean town. I was shocked they had started having massage parlors up there – Korean or not…

• ChickenHead
    7:55 pm on February 24th, 2012 5

Keyinjpop beat me to the obsevation that a more typical shooting in a Korean spa involves the death of millions of half-people.

• ytide
    4:31 am on March 4th, 2012 6

The killer (now dead):
    (1) Jeong Soo Paek

The other dead:
    (2) 61-year-old Kum Hi Song
    (3) 64-year-old Byong Ok Kang
    (4) 57-year-old Kum Sook Kim
    (5) 55-year-old Tae Yol Kim.

“Friends of the victims said they were respected members of Atlanta’s Korean-American community of 100,000″ (from Washington-Post).

• ChickenHead
    5:08 am on March 4th, 2012 7

I’m going to that spa.

I’m going to ask for whatever treatment he had.

It must have been a special massage if he could shoot Kum twice.

Bad Behavior has blocked 31037 access attempts in the last 7 days.