Avatar of GI KoreaBy on April 30th, 2012 at 8:13 am

Help Identify Locations In 1950 Era Color Video from Korea

I have a request from a ROK Drop reader to see if anyone recognizes some locations from a rare 1950′s color video footage from South Korea.  He is also asking for translation assistance with Japanese writing as well.  I have helped to try and identify buildings from some prior videos he posted and it would be great if some of the ROK Heads can help with this one.  The below video has had some places identified and the request for help with certain locations and translations is embedded in the video.  If anyone can identify some of the locations and translate the Japanese writing in the video please leave a comment.  Thanks!

Tags: ,
  • Teadrinker
    7:02 am on April 30th, 2012 1

At 30s: 부산아동자선병원. Children’s Charity Hospital in Busan.

• Paul
    10:33 am on April 30th, 2012 2

Gah, between Youtube demanding the entire video be download each time I rewind or fastforward, and this comment failing…

[1:45]
    Incorporated Foundation (財団法人)
    Nursery School (保育園)
    Hope Inc.
    Orphan’s Home of Korea
    (Note that this sign is the same one as in the latter part of the clip in the linked post from 2010. You can tell by the sign placement relative to the brick wall to the right. Whether there were multiple Hope Incs. as raised in that video, I do not know, but those two signs at least are one and the same.)

[3:32]
    No idea on the church (text is way too small and blurry to make out), but the chap riding by appears to have the name Agata (吾田) on his payload. Or maybe not (吾日?) but nothing else seems to be a known name.

• kangaji
    10:34 am on April 30th, 2012 3

1:30 財園法人 = 재원법인 Corporate Finance (AKA – Incorporated)
    韓國係育團 or 園 한국계육단 or 원
    Hard to read but could be a for profit educational institution/orphanage for MIXED Korean children (係 = 系)

Sign in 3:36 – I think it’s a Japanese public service announcement. It says at the end Japan BANZAI! on the upper left and it’s kind of a pain in the ass to read because it’s pre-1946 Japanese in low resolution.

• Paul
    11:17 am on April 30th, 2012 4

I’d think that says “attendance” (来会).

• guitard
    2:08 pm on April 30th, 2012 5

It’s hard to say, but that writing on that bike looks like it could be hangul – with the second syllable being “표.”

The name of the hospital is written in hangul (부산아동자선병원) at the bottom and English at the top (Pusan Children’s Charity Hospital).

Presumably that chapel is at Camp Haileah – comparisons with old photos from that camp would probably help.

• Paul
    7:39 pm on April 30th, 2012 6

Yeah, I think you’re absolutely right with the bike. It’s funny how people tend to see whatever it is they’re told to look for, whether it is there or not in the first place.

• Innocent Bystander
    4:03 am on May 1st, 2012 7

Ok, so this video is Pusan centric? If so, at 2:56 take note of the older lady in the gray overcoat (second from the right). Now, go the previous video submissions by the requester – 2nd video from the top suggests the footage is taken in Seoul. Ok, now take note from 0:56-1:06 – same older lady in the gray overcoat.

Not sure how they relate or if location assumption (Seoul) is incorrect.

It would be good to know why the requester’s parents were in Korea at the time. They look to be of the missionary type.

• guitard
    9:33 pm on May 1st, 2012 8

Another one of the videos has a shot of the “Bridge of No Return.” The sign at the bridge looks like it says:

Freedom Gate Bridge
    maintained by
    3rd Battalion, 10th Infantry Regiment
    24th Infantry Division
    “First in Korea”

I can’t say for sure if it’s the “10th” or not though – the numbers are kind of hard to read.

• George
    8:09 am on May 25th, 2012 9

Hi,
    First, I’d like to thank all of you for your help!

The film was taken by my grandparents while they were on an international mission tour with the Evangelical & Reformed church. They were in Korea Oct 8 – 15, 1956, from information I was able to discover this year. I do know that they spent time in Seoul and Pusan.

I’ll be doing more research based on all of the information that you’ve given me to date, and I truly thank you all for this!

Sincerely,
    George

• George
    8:49 am on May 25th, 2012 10

Hi Innocent,
    The lady that you mention was my grandmother.

• George
    8:50 am on May 25th, 2012 11

Hi Guitard,
    Yes, that is Freedom Gate Bridge. Thank you!

• Sharie
    11:00 am on June 22nd, 2012 12

;-) I think this is something I wanted to learn as well, ‘translation’.
    Well, I still don’t have any idea about korean or even japanese writings. But you are definitely inspiring to do so.

Sharie from lino sol

• George
    3:42 pm on June 26th, 2012 13

Does anyone know where the Freedom Gate Bridge is located. Maybe a GPS Coordinate?

Bad Behavior has blocked 32004 access attempts in the last 7 days.