Coffee Shop Prices In Korea Set To Increase

If you thought that coffee shops were expensive in Korea before, well they are about to get more expensive this summer:

Coffee franchises are raising prices, making consumers anxious that it might cause a domino effect ahead of the summer, the high season for beverage sales.

Starbucks Coffee Korea, the nation’s leading coffee franchise, announced on Thursday that it will charge 300 won more on 32 of its drinks starting Monday. Caffe Bene, which has the greatest number of stores here, also raised prices last month of the drinks sold at its main Gangnam store in southern Seoul.

“The milk price, labor costs and rent all sharply rose last year. We have been tolerating the factors until now, but could no longer avoid the price adjustment,” said Starbucks through a statement.

The coffee house also took off 100 won to 200 won from prices of 13 drinks and maintained those of 10. But consumers find it rather mean as the price increase mainly occurred on the best selling products including the top five ― americano, cafe latte, caramel macchiato, cafe mocha and green tea frappuccino. The ones marked down include less popular items like lavender earl grey or white mocha frappuccino.

Caffe Bene increased around 100 won to 500 won of the drink prices main Gangnam store. The price of the americano, for example, rose from 4,000 won to 4,500 won and cafe latte from 5,000 won to 5,300 won.   [Korea Herald]

The only coffee I like to drink in Korea is Dunkin Donuts; I wonder if their prices are going up as well?

• Lemmy
    2:10 am on May 7th, 2012 1

After spending a few years abroad I returned to Korea and found the number of coffee shops and the increase in prices as shocking as the increase in the number of chubby children.

Coffee shops are as addicting to us as triple fried corn dogs encrusted in crinkle fries are to the school kids…..

• Paul
    3:08 am on May 7th, 2012 2

Do the puppies and kittens (and that miniature pig) get a cut of the extra profits? I know where I’d opt to buy my coffee when the choice was there.

• Teadrinker
    3:52 am on May 7th, 2012 3

Ripoff. Even if they used specialty beans (they use cheap Brazilian beans, which is pretty unexceptional), 5300 won a cup would be a 1500% markup.

• Fanwarrior
    5:22 am on May 7th, 2012 4

Cafe Benne overhauled their menu and it’s garbage now. They did away with a lot of their “extra” drinks. As I’m not really a coffee drinker, but often find myself in coffee shops, I would get one of their teas, which were often nearly the cheapest drink on the menu.

They previously had around 15 different teas or something on the menu, but last time I was there they’d cut it down to like 4 or 5 bland teas. I guess they couldn’t justify charging only 4000 won for a tea bag.

• kangaji
    8:34 am on May 7th, 2012 5

Its called chari kaps in korean or location/place price. Basically the extra money is considered paying for the atmosphere rather than only the coffee and high rents in seoul for where they are putting the shops makes sense to me but I think td and ch know the rental market better

• YokoGaijin
    4:36 pm on May 7th, 2012 6

In Japan, a cup of coffee at your average coffee shop is 400-500 yen, which with today’s exchange rates is roughly $5 or $6. A Tall coffee at Starbucks is a bargain at 340 Yen, or $4.25.

• Not Convinced
    5:09 pm on May 7th, 2012 7

Having worked at starbucks and now as a stock holder. I’m happy to see so many people drinking coffee, for me it’s like despositing money into a savings account when I buy my cup of coffee. at least that how I justify it to myself.

@Tea Drinker… while it may be true that caffe bean uses inferior (robusta) beans, Starbucks does use only 100% arabica beans from all over the world such as sumatra, kenya or guatemala.

long story here is that all the mom and pop coffee chains are going to start going out of business, it happened in the USA, it will happen here. though it might take awhile as the price of coffee in the world increases, they can’t maintain a profit because they don’t control the supply lines like starbucks does and ultimately can’t compete at the same level.

• Teadrinker
    1:21 am on May 8th, 2012 8

“Starbucks does use only 100% arabica beans from all over the world such as sumatra, kenya or guatemala.”

…which it roasts to the point of the beans losing their distinct qualities in order to maintain uniformity between batches.

I must admit, though, that I enjoyed the bag of Starbucks Breakfast Blend that I once bought (those weren’t burnt).

Bad Behavior has blocked 32119 access attempts in the last 7 days.