Seoul Government Says Their Air Quality Is As Good As Cheju’s

» by in: Seoul

Some how I find it hard to believe that Seoul’s air quality is as good as Cheju’s even it was just for 50 days:

Seoul’s average fine dust level fell to a record low this year, thanks to the municipal government’s anti-pollution campaign and fewer outbreaks of yellow dust from China, officials said Friday.

On more than 50 days in the first four months of 2012, Seoul’s air quality improved to the level of Jeju Island, the southern resort island known for its pollution-free environment, the officials said.

The average concentration of particulate matters less than 10 microns in Seoul amounted to 52 micrograms per cubic meter in the January-April period, the lowest level since 1995 when the city’s first test produced a reading of 78 micrograms per cubic meter.

In 2003, the average dust concentration in Seoul reached 79 micrograms per cubic meter, while it dropped to 55 micrograms per cubic meter in 2010.

The Seoul Metropolitan Government attributed the gradual reduction of dust density to clean air drive by the city’s autonomous districts and a noticeable decline in yellow dust blowing from China.  [Yonhap]

I do have to say though that every time I go back to visit Seoul the air quality and environment in general in the city is definitely improving but I am not about to believe that it is on par with Cheju island.

• Tom
    6:59 am on May 11th, 2012 1

:lol: You really have poor reading skills, GI.

Do you know what this means?

“On more than 50 days in the first four months of 2012″

I don’t see anywhere in the article that Seoul’s air quality is as good as Jeju Island.

Do I have to teach you English? :lol:

• Hamilton
    7:20 am on May 11th, 2012 2

Tom you are totally right! Seoul has terrible air quality and it isn’t Korea’s problem it is China’s!

Chinese scum like you produce nearly all of the pollution in Korea and this part of the world.

• Tom
    1:37 pm on May 11th, 2012 3

South Korea has just passed the law on setting up a carbon trading system by 2015. By 2020, South Korea will lead the world in cooperation between green environment and industry, leading the world in green industry. What are the Americans doing other then killing innocent babies, spitting on dead bodies of those innocent people you killed in Afghanistan, and bad mouthing Chinese and Koreans :?: A big question to ponder indeed, Hamilton.

• Dreamboat Annie
    2:13 pm on May 11th, 2012 4

The yellow dust from China is a major air pollution issue.

Tom, isn’t it time for your dead baby pills? No wonder you’re so cranky.

• Hamilton
    4:07 pm on May 11th, 2012 5

Tom, I’d like to see where I bad mouthed Koreans. In this thread I defended them and accused China of causing the pollution!

If you want to see a pile of dead children bodies go take a look at the body count your beloved Chinese Milk industry killed. Then take a look at the 100,000s of kidney crippled young and old they caused.

China is pure evil and you are an enabler which makes you scum.

Oh and you are way off topic as usual.

• Seoul Guy
    9:30 pm on May 11th, 2012 6

Is Tom GI Korea? Why does GI Korea let this roach write craps on the board?

6:12 am on May 12th, 2012 7

@6 – Tom has been commenting here for many years and Kushibo I think it was last year made a convincing case that Tom is actually a Chinese agitprop based out of Canada. Tom couldn’t even accurately answer questions from Kushibo about his supposed home town neighborhood in Korea. That is why some of the long time commenters here refer to him as being Chinese.

As far as banning him this has been attempted before but he will eventually just pop up again on a new IP address. So the best way to deal with Tom is to just ignore him and realize that everything he says is from a Chinese agitprop.

• 2 ID Doc
    12:35 pm on May 12th, 2012 8

@GI Korea…off-topic but thank you. I’m fairly new to ROKDrop, and have bitten on Tom’s posts before. Now that I know who & what Tom really is, I’ll take your advice. A second thank you for this forum, it helps me keep up with a country I want to visit again someday, as a tourist, not a soldier.

• Glans
    1:49 pm on May 12th, 2012 9

GI Korea, you let Tom post just because banning him isn’t feasible? And I thought it was because you like wide-ranging discussions from many points of view. His comments bring good replies from kushibo, among others.

By the way, whatever became of ChickenHead? He stopped commenting on the day a guy called the Chicken Man killed himself near Atlanta. You must have ChickenHead’s email address. Can you see if he’s all right?

• Dreamboat Annie
    2:58 pm on May 12th, 2012 10

7- While “Tom” may just seem annoying what you don’t understand is that the poster is baiting others on here for a reason. There are Korean boards where they translate and post what “evil waygookin” are saying about their beloved Korea. These English language boards are translated into Korean and many Koreans read the translations. The translations are usually presented in a negative light, anyway, but when someone like “Tom”, and to a lesser extent Kushibo, draw out harsh responses about Korea and Koreans then they have given those Korean websites some juicy things to post.

• kushibo
    5:10 pm on May 12th, 2012 11

Dreamboat Annie, what have I written that has “drawn out harsh responses about Korea and Koreans”?

I can’t think of a single negative thing about Korea or Koreans that someone has said in response to what I’ve written that they wouldn’t have expressed otherwise.

And certainly I don’t write anything with the purpose to draw out a Korea-bashing response from anyone.

Neither does Tom, probably. His purpose seems to be to demoralize USFK personnel about their mission and purpose in Korea, their country’s role in the region, and especially how Koreans in general supposedly feel about the US and USFK personnel.

• JoeC
    6:09 pm on May 12th, 2012 12

People can’t be that thin-skinned and easily manipulated by anonymous postings on the Internet … can they?

• kushibo
    8:02 pm on May 12th, 2012 13

JoeC, if they are convinced that these dastardly things are what the locals really believe about them or say behind their backs, then yeah, it can be manipulative. And I don’t think one need be particularly thin-skinned to fall victim to that kind of propaganda.

• Tom
    8:06 pm on May 12th, 2012 14

Yes they can, obviously. :lol:

You guys have let Kushibo make you guys think too much. :lol:

Chinese agitprop? Really now. You’re complaining about me when all the anti-Koreans in here bashing on Korea get a pass? I’m just one guy, what’s the problem? You can’t take a little different opinion from yours?

Have I demoralized the USFK? I have that much power? Wow I feel so powerful. :roll:

• kushibo
    8:12 pm on May 12th, 2012 15

Back to the point of the original post, I’m becoming spoiled by island living. Chejudo is much closer to the Korean mainland than Hawaii is to the US, but both have a situation where a relatively small population on the coast has their pollution blow out to sea.

I enjoy living in central Seoul, and I’ve seen the air quality get markedly better (far, far better) than when I was a teenager, but sometimes I think I’d rather live in Chejudo. And Hawaii over California (even though California has much better air than when I was a kid).

The ROK government has done a lot to effect this change: phasing out old-style Diesel buses, using LPG for taxi fleets and a lot of other larger cars, using lots of nuclear, replacing yŏnt’an coal bricks with “city gas,” etc.

Eventually the world’s population is going to reach (and probably top out at) around 9 billion people. Even if it stayed at 7 billion, more and more poor are getting technologies that require energy and other inputs and they produce pollution and other outputs. Reducing that, so that the average footprint is smaller while simultaneously providing quality of life, is the economic and technological challenge — and opportunity — of our time. I see Korean companies working on this, and we need more doing this in the US.

Solyndra, for example, which was making solar panels that could wrap around structures, was not a scam but a gamble that lost due to falling prices in standard solar panels. Still, the lesson there is not to stop trying but to spread out with more ideas. Countries that are supposedly “failing” like the US and Japan are still the world leaders in technological innovation and that is the engine to ride. South Korea is joining those ranks (like Germany, France, the UK, etc.), but the US has a unique set of circumstances that will keep it on top if it doesn’t take a couple of short-sighted wrong turns.

• kushibo
    8:31 pm on May 12th, 2012 16

Dreamboat Annie (#10) is right that a lot of posts in the English-language blogs do get translated and put up on Korean sites (and Japanese sites). Sometimes I get people linking back to my blog and I’ve seen my own, Marmot’s Hole, Korea Beat, Popular Gusts, ROK Drop, and other posts translated.

A lot of the stuff, though, is positive. In fact, the overwhelming majority of stuff I’ve seen is neutral to positive. (But yeah, there are groups like AES that mine blogs for negative comments to justify their own animosity toward English teachers.)

• Dreamboat Annie
    9:40 pm on May 12th, 2012 17

A great deal of what is said, in English, about Korea gets translated and put up on Korean sites. Almost all of it is presented in a negative light. That’s why some with ulterior motives want the rest of us to get good and angry, and post in that way, so they can repost it in Korean. It happens on many sites. In fact, more Koreans may read your posts on a Korean website than English speakers on a site like this.

• Glans
    9:58 pm on May 12th, 2012 18

Annie, are you fluent in the Korean language?

• Tom
    4:10 am on May 13th, 2012 19

“Almost all of it is presented in a negative light.”

So Koreans are to be blamed for what expats say as well?
    :roll:

• kushibo
    5:09 am on May 13th, 2012 20

Tom (#19), if those Korean individuals are responsible if they are cherry-picking the more egregious comments and presenting them as if they are representative of the whole.

I’m not sure how much that really goes on. I flat out do not agree that “almost all of it is presented in a negative light.” Simply put, there has always been among KoKos a keen interest in what “foreigners” say/think about Korea, and the result is that an awful lot of the positive stuff gets translated into Korean (like the link I provided in #16).

Bad Behavior has blocked 36210 access attempts in the last 7 days.