Picture of the Day: The End of the Yongsan Red Light District

Via a reader tip comes this photo of how the Yongsan Red Light District has finally been leveled for future development.  It really was only a matter of time before this happened considering all the new development around the Yongsan Red Light District.  The prostitutes that worked here were not happy to see the place leveled and the sign hanging in the picture says “Here is the tomb of the squatters who have no place to go”.

I can remember mistakenly walking through this Red Light District when walking from Yongsan to the I-Park Mall.  It took me a second to realize that I had just stumbled into the Red Light District and a Korean policeman come over and pointed me to the I-Park Mall.  Despite prostitution being technically illegal in Korea it was funny to see that Korean policemen were stationed at different approaches to this Red Light District probably to direct foreigners like myself away from it.

Thanks again to the reader who sent in the picture.  If anyone else has any pictures they want to share with the ROK Drop community please e-mail them to me as well.

Tags: , , ,
  • Tom
    11:27 am on May 25th, 2012 1

“I can remember mistakenly walking through this Red Light District when walking from Yongsan to the I-Park Mall”

uh-huh… right.. I believe you. ;-)

But anyway maybe the policeman was trying to do you a favor since so many foreigners who are looking for I-Park Mall keep going to the wrong place by mistake?

• kushibo
    12:24 pm on May 25th, 2012 2

While the police in Yongsan probably have to guide a few lost foreigners toward I-Park, at red light districts across the country they’re there primarily to enforce the “no-minors” rules they have for such “entertainment districts” and other laws/regulations/rules.

Even in red light districts with virtually no foreign visitors around, the police are policing the area.

• Teadrinker
    1:06 pm on May 25th, 2012 3

#2,

Ironically, it used to be that a large proportion of those who work there were minors. Nothing concrete ever was done about it until a woman became a chief of police in Seoul.

• Dreamboat Annie
    1:40 pm on May 25th, 2012 4

Remember when there was a “crackdown on prostitution” (I know- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) in Seoul and the Seoul police claimed they couldn’t find any evidence of prostitution anywhere near Yongsan station?

• Tom
    1:46 pm on May 25th, 2012 5

#3,

You’re talking of the police chief woman Kim Kang Ja in 2000 who promised to clean up underage prostitution. That was over 12 years ago, mate. :lol:

• Teadrinker
    2:21 pm on May 25th, 2012 6

#5,

Gee, look at you, all smug about figuring out that simple past tense is used to refer to the events that have happened in the past. Your mother must be proud. “He needs to be in special ed”, they said. You sure showed them, didn’t you little Tom.

• LG DACOM
    5:10 pm on May 25th, 2012 7

This started about a year ago. It now serves as some sort of public parking lot while they demolish the few remaining buildings in the area. Many other businesses, not just the brothels, were also closed.

The police presence around Korean red light districts has nothing to do with foreigners. It’s all about stemming all of the other criminal problems that follow prostitution, such as violence, organized crime, drugs, etc. The fact that you assume the cop’s presence to have something solely to do with yourself is revelatory.

• guitard
    5:28 pm on May 25th, 2012 8

LG DACOM wrote:

I didn’t see any cars parked in there – it’s mostly loose piles of rubble laying all about and as best as I can tell – the area is completely closed off.

• Dreamboat Annie
    6:10 pm on May 25th, 2012 9

#6 Teadrinker – look at you, thinking you’re so smug and clever, acting like an elementary school bully. Your daddy must be so proud of you living in his basement. So proud of you for getting through special ed.

• setnaffa
    6:33 pm on May 25th, 2012 10

Tom’s sock puppetry isn’t even as good as GG’s… :lol:

• Tom Langley
    7:42 pm on May 25th, 2012 11

There used to be a defense tax on all the prostitution & alcohol sold in Korea. Before he got assassinated former President Park Chung Hee sent me a registered letter thanking me for paying for half of the Korean defense budget, lol.

• Slammin' Sammy
    10:33 pm on May 25th, 2012 12

Directly across the street from the station there’s now a street that cuts through all the way back to that main street. Also, there are rows of Korean restaurant tents, but in the front is a kebab stand. It’s 4,000 won for one kebab and 11,000 won for three kebabs.

• ZenKimchi
    10:25 am on May 26th, 2012 13

Whenever I was out late in Seoul, the bus I’d take back to Anyang would pass by the red light district. I just got home from another nice evening, and I miss silently greeting the ladies from my bus window on my ride home.

• setnaffa
    1:12 pm on May 26th, 2012 14

Mosque on the hill? Kebab carts instead of pojangmacha? US Troops leaving Yongsan?

Maybe there is a lot more going on here…

• Stanley P
    7:48 pm on May 26th, 2012 15

14- There are muslims everywhere in Itaewon. Wait until the Koreans have to deal with them in large numbers. They’ll be begging for a return of the U.S. military.

• Kimchi Pizza Riceburger Bun
    7:35 pm on May 30th, 2012 16

As much as I hated the Yongsan environment at times (especially that approach avenue access along Han-Gang-Ro), I will miss it after the big projected move. What is going to happen to Dragon Hill Lodge? I really appreciate their 24/7 Shoppette and those donuts.

• Ole Tanker
    8:22 pm on May 30th, 2012 17

Girls? Sex?

I can’t believe GI hasn’t started a thread on the “Breast Feeding” Military Mothers!!!

WAAA!!! I want more!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

• setnaffa
    8:38 pm on May 30th, 2012 18

Stanley, #15:

My guess is that they’ll turn dhimmi. I’d love to be proven wrong; but I just don’t see it.

• Dreamboat Annie
    5:55 pm on June 2nd, 2012 19

Skyscrapers to Replace U.S. Base as Office Glut Looms for Seoul

• kushibo
    6:07 pm on June 2nd, 2012 20

Interesting link, Dreamboat Annie, but that’s a very sloppy headline.

The skyscraper complex is not where the military base is, but over by the railyard. In fact, the article specifically states that “the military base will be transformed into a nature park.”

• Darkcurrent_2000
    6:12 pm on November 12th, 2012 21

Sure…”mistakenly” walking through…uh-huh…

• Eddie Cantor
    1:34 am on January 5th, 2013 22

We were there today and there were protesters all around the area banging pots and holding up signs against I Park and whatever they’re building in the former red light district across the street from the station. So, what are they building and why are Koreans protesting against it? FYI, the street that used to lead up to the station, from the left, has been closed off and there’s a new street that bisects the construction area and creates a taxi stand across the street from the station. Plus, there are tent restaurants on the other side of the street. It’s a cluster f–k, of course, but still better than what was there before.

• Eddie Cantor
    6:30 am on January 5th, 2013 23

No one knows?

• Smokes
    7:16 pm on September 2nd, 2013 24

So it’s been over a year now since they tore that area down and what’s in place? A nasty cluster-f of stinky dirty tent resteraunts. I preferred seeing the hookers there. :P

• Big Red
    7:49 pm on September 2nd, 2013 25

24- There are no restaurants. They’re building large apartment complexes across the street from Yonsan Station. The signs are everywhere. Get out more often.

• Smokes
    8:38 pm on September 2nd, 2013 26

I live right down the street from there. Get off the spice.

Bad Behavior has blocked 31138 access attempts in the last 7 days.