Korean Shellfish Banned In the US

Via a reader tip comes this news that shellfish from Korea has been banned in the US due to polluted water:

Consumers should not eat shellfish from South Korea and retailers should stop selling it, federal and state regulators said Thursday.

The Food and Drug Administration yanked firms that transport Korean shellfish off its list of approved shippers on May 1 and said it may launch “a fairly extensive recall of the product” — specifically fresh, frozen or processed oysters, clams, mussels and scallops.

An agency analysis of the Korean shellfish program found unacceptable water pollution levels in shellfish-growing areas and periodic detection of norovirus, a common cause of acute gastroenteritis, or inflammation of the stomach and intestines.  [Washington Post]

You can read a lot more at the link but it sounds like more people have already gotten sick from these contaminated shellfish than people in Korea made sick by eating US beef.

Tags: ,
  • tbonetylr
    4:23 pm on June 3rd, 2012 1

“An agency analysis of the Korean shellfish program found unacceptable water pollution levels in shellfish-growing areas and periodic detection of norovirus, a common cause of acute gastroenteritis…,”

Must be too much poop in Korean waters? Warning: Due to the genes of all Americans, they’re especially susceptible to Korean contaminated(poopy) oysters that cause norovirus.

• The Magus
    7:49 pm on June 3rd, 2012 2

Wow…that’s rich, coming from the government that’s absolutely destroyed a huge chunk of their own shellfish industry thanks to their corporate mast…sorry ‘friends’…oilfield blowout(s) in the Gulf of Mexico…!

Korean shellfish (some, anyway…although if they’re from the Yellow Sea I think the Chinese have to shoulder the largest portion of blame as they are the ones whose pollution there is off the charts…) may indeed cause illness due to contamination/pollution, but I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts Korean shellfish would/could not be responsible for the sheer scale of ongoing, long-term physical/medical, economic, and environmental (human & animal)devastation than that presently overwhelming Gulf Coast communities now – and for the forseeable future!

Irony AND hypocrisy….USA: Fuck Yeah!!

7:55 pm on June 3rd, 2012 3

I’m sure this is a unique situations with special circumstances. Let the protests commence!

/Generally, I thought we don’t eat oysters in the summer.

Reminds me of a song:
    Wet Dream by Kip Addotta

It was April the forty-first
    Being a quadruple leap year
    I was driving in downtown Atlantis
    My barracuda was in the shop
    So I was in a rented stingray
    And it was overheating

So I pulled into a Shell Station
    They said I’d blown a seal
    I said, “Fix the damn thing
    And leave my private life out of it
    Okay pal?”

While they were doing that
    I walked over to a place called the Oyster Bar, a real dive
    But I knew the owner
    He used to play for the Dolphins
    I said “Hi Gil”
    You have to yell, he’s hard of herring

Think I had a wet dream
    Cruisin’ thru the Gulf Stream
    Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh
    Wet dream

Gil was also down on his luck
    Fact is he was barely keeping his head below water
    I bellied up to the sandbar
    He poured me the usual

Rusty snail, hold the grunion
    Shaken not stirred
    With a peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich on the side
    Heavy on the mako

I slipped him a fin
    On porpoise
    I was feeling good
    I even dropped a sand dollar in the box for Jerry’s squids
    For the halibut

Well the place was crowded
    We were packed in like sardines They were all there to listen to the big band sounds of Tommy Dorsal
    What sole

Tommy was rockin’ the place with a very popular tuna
    Salmon Chanted Evening
    And the stage was surrounded by screaming groupers
    Probably there to see the bass player

One of them was this cute little yellowtail
    And she’s giving me the eye
    So I figured this is my chance for a little fun
    You know, piece of Pisces

But she said things I just couldn’t fathom
    She was too deep, seemed to be under a lot of pressure
    Boy, could she drink
    She drank like a . . .
    She drank a lot

I said “What’s your sign”
    She said “Aquarium”
    I said “Great, let’s get tanked”

Think I had a wet dream
    Cruisin’ thru the Gulf Stream
    Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh
    Wet dream

I invited her to my place for a midnight bait
    I said “Come on baby, it’ll only take a few minnows”
    She threw me that same old line
    “Not tonight, I gotta haddock”

And she wasn’t kidding either
    Cause in came the biggest, meanest looking haddock
    I’d ever seen come down the pike
    He was covered with mussels

He came over to me and said
    “Listen, shrimp, don’t you come trollin’ around here”
    What a crab
    This guy was steamed
    I could see the anchor in his eyes

I turned to him, I said
    “A-balone, you’re just being shellfish”
    Well, I knew it was going to be trouble and so did Gil
    ‘Cause he was already on the phone to the cods

The haddock hits me with a sucker punch
    I catch him with a left hook
    He eels over
    It was a fluke but there he was
    Lying on the deck, flat as a mackerel
    Kelpless

I said “Forget the cods Gil
    This guy’s gonna need a sturgeon”
    Well, the yellowtail was impressed with the way I landed her boyfriend
    She came over to me, she said
    “Hey, big boy, you’re really a game fish
    What’s your name”
    I said “Marlin”

Think I had a wet dream
    Cruisin’ thru the Gulf Stream
    Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh
    Wet dream

Well, from then on we had a whale of a time
    I took her to dinner, I took her to dance
    I bought her a bouquet of flounders
    And then I went home with her
    And what did I get for my trouble
    A case of the clams

Think I had a wet dream
    Cruisin’ thru the Gulf Stream
    Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh

Wet dream
    Cruisin’ thru the Gulf Stream
    Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh

Wet dream
    Cruisin’ thru the Gulf Stream
    Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh

• Kingkitty
    8:33 pm on June 3rd, 2012 4

Oh woops just had shell fish yesterday

• kushibo
    8:46 pm on June 3rd, 2012 5

Old news. Covered in the Korean press over two weeks ago.

• Stan Da Man
    8:49 pm on June 3rd, 2012 6

4- I didn’t see anything about this on Korean TV. Is it being buried?

• kushibo
    8:55 pm on June 3rd, 2012 7

Stan Da Man, were you looking two or three weeks ago when the news came out? Yonhap reporting on it in Korean is hardly “burying the story.” I’m in Hawaii, so I get most of my Korean-language news through the news sites themselves, so I can’t tell you one way or another if it was covered or how much.

And even though I’m paid to spread Korean Wave goodness, I posted on it as well. Frankly, I’m surprised it took the WaPo so long to report it. I guess the Washington Post isn’t all that interested in Washington State. ;-)

Food caught in the Yellow Sea can be nasty. Even as Korea has cleaned up much of its effluent, China has stepped in to fill the void. :oops:

Anything caught in the Yellow Sea should be heavily scrutinized.

9:02 pm on June 3rd, 2012 8

6. Perhaps, for seafood marketing purposes, the Koreans should refocus their efforts on renaming the Yellow Sea (though the name seems appropriate, or perhaps the Brown Sea?).

• kushibo
    9:06 pm on June 3rd, 2012 9

I was actually a little disappointed that the Mad Kul Disease story hadn’t taken off, what with the clever title I’d made and all. ;-)

9:08 pm on June 3rd, 2012 10

8. You should make it a bit easier to post on your blog. :roll: :razz:

• kushibo
    9:09 pm on June 3rd, 2012 11

Leon LaPorte wrote:

South Koreans are way ahead of you, often calling it the West Sea (Sŏhae) instead of Hwanghae (Yellow Sea).

Yellow Sea already has a negative connotation with hwangsa, the “yellow dust” from China.

• Dreamboat Annie
    1:30 am on June 4th, 2012 12

Kushibo, I kid you not- there’s been nothing in the Korean media here.

• kushibo
    1:43 am on June 4th, 2012 13

Dreamboat Annie, I’ve already shown you a Yonhap link, so there’s the main news media outlet right there.

• Vince
    5:53 am on June 4th, 2012 14

Damn near all the canned oysters on the shelf in the grocery are from the R-O-K.

As for the Gulf of Mexico oil spill- wasn’t that all cleaned up?

• Jeff
    8:32 am on June 4th, 2012 15

When the Red Tide comes..no one wants to eat the clam! :shock:

• Chemlightbatteries
    10:56 am on June 4th, 2012 16

perhaps it should be renamed from the Yellow Sea to the Jaundiced Sea. ;-)

• MTB Rider
    4:47 pm on June 4th, 2012 17

Hmm. No sign of Tom lately. Maybe he ate some of these bad oysters and is out sick? :lol:

5:06 pm on June 4th, 2012 18

17. I suspect the bad oysters simply damaged his immune system and he succumbed to Mad Cow.

• MTB Rider
    6:45 pm on June 4th, 2012 19

Well, he DID blame the Chinese fishermen for being the victims of North Korean state sponsored piracy. Perhaps he has been “recalled, for reeducation through labor.” :shock:

Giving up the sweet, sweet expat life in Toronto to stand in a rice paddy, water buffalo poo squeezing up between your toes… Yeah. :lol:

6:50 pm on June 4th, 2012 20

Perhaps Tom and Chickenhead have eloped!

That or they are sequestered in the Chickenhead Lab, writing the pilot script for their new WB sitcom.

• someotherguy
    6:52 pm on June 4th, 2012 21

Could be the start of a trade war. Korea bans “US Beef”, US bans “ROK Oysters”, waiting for it to escalate. This could get interesting to watch.

• Tom
    7:29 pm on June 4th, 2012 22

It’s a little premature to say that US Mad Cow disease beef hasn’t caused any sickness in Korea. The incubation period can go high as 20 years. And we really don’t know the true extent of the effects of hormone injected US beef. To compare this with the US Mad Cow beef is ludicrous. US beef is consumed widely in Korea, so obviously the concern for US beef is justified. On the other hand, Korean shellfish that’s imported into the US is negligible, so negligible that I don’t know why this is even big news.

I know you guys are dying to hear my opinion on this, so here it is, as long as GI Korea doesn’t delete me again.

:roll:

7:38 pm on June 4th, 2012 23

22. Seems the rumors of your demise were premature as well.

Koreans also eat beef from Korea, Argentina, Australia among others. How are you going to know if US beef (or any beef) is the problem?

• Hamilton
    8:09 pm on June 4th, 2012 24

Leon, if there is a problem then it will be with the US beef. I’m surprised you don’t know how this works in Korea yet. :shock:

• Tom
    8:14 pm on June 4th, 2012 25

#24 nailed it. :lol:

8:16 pm on June 4th, 2012 26

Dammit! Got me on that one. You are, of course, both correct. Thank you.

• Stan Da Man
    8:39 pm on June 4th, 2012 27

But all of the restaurants in Korea claim to be selling only Korean and Australian beef. How could U.S. beef be #2 in sales? No one would ever lie about something like this, right?

• Stan Da Man
    8:44 pm on June 4th, 2012 28

Tom, pass the word to your superiors. Next time let the North Koreans have all of the shellfish.

• someotherguy
    11:30 pm on June 4th, 2012 29

@27
    Haha yeah, that’s the thing. The markets and stores are buying US beef then telling their customers it’s Australian beef. If their really bad, saying it’s the expensive pure divinely created “Korean Beef” and charging ridiculous prices for it.

• Tom
    4:32 am on June 5th, 2012 30

#29 that only shows how much people want to avoid the mad infected beef from United States, which is everywhere now. :lol:

Bad Behavior has blocked 31177 access attempts in the last 7 days.