Actor Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

» by in: Random Stuff

He served in the Navy for ten 10 years as  a Gunner’s mate.

Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the Best Actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in “Marty” in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

He did not have the face, or the smile, of a classic movie star. But Borgnine certainly had the heart of one, whether in a drama, such as “Marty,” or a comedy, like the 1960s sitcom “McHale’s Navy.”

Ermes Effron Borgnino was born in 1917, the son of Italian immigrants. He lived in Italy for a while as a child, then came back to the United States, where he joined the U.S. Navy, serving throughout World War II.

When the war ended, Borgnine tried his hand at a few things, until his mother suggested he try acting.

He caught on fairly quickly, appearing on Broadway and some early television roles.

Then, Borgnine’s first big role, as the bully Fatso Judson in the movie “From Here to Eternity.”

A character actor, a “heavy,” was born . . .

. . . Until an unexpectedly gentle role came up in 1955, with a winning performance. The role of “Marty,” a sweet-natured Everyman, living with his mother, trying to find love, won Borgnine the Academy Award:

“I just want to thank my mother for giving me the idea to get into this wonderful profession,” he said, accepting the Oscar.

His next big triumph came when art imitated life, joining the Navy again as Lieutenant Commander Quentin McHale in the TV show “McHale’s Navy.”

After that, a string of action movies, from “The Dirty Dozen” to “The Poseidon Adventure.”- CBS News

I don’t know if I have a favorite Borgnine role. When I was a kid, I used to watch McHale’s navy  reruns but that was over 35 years ago. He was excellent in Marty, and as a less than average looking guy I can kind of relate to the role he played in that movie. RIP Ernest Borgnine.

• Dreamboat Annie
    3:29 pm on July 8th, 2012 1

• Dreamboat Annie
    3:31 pm on July 8th, 2012 2

• Dreamboat Annie
    3:33 pm on July 8th, 2012 3

• Dreamboat Annie
    3:38 pm on July 8th, 2012 4

• Maui
    4:09 pm on July 8th, 2012 5

RIP

• Tom Langley
    5:09 pm on July 8th, 2012 6

I enjoyed McHale’s Navy when I was young. It was a good & funny show. I’ve seen him in a lot of movies & I always enjoyed his acting. They did a highlight show on the O’Reilly Factor the other day & Bill O’Reilly did an interview with Ernest Borgnine. He was a very humble man who loved to laugh. He told a story in that interview on how he met John Wayne. He said that John Wayne asked him why they had never worked together. Ernest Borgnine replied something like that he only worked with good actors or something like that. He said that John Wayne laughed like hell at this comment & that they became good friends. He seemed that he was a really nice guy & I will miss him. He is leagues above some of the actors of our modern era. RIP.

• david wester
    7:12 pm on July 8th, 2012 7

Always admired him. He represented the ideal that in America you can become anything you work hard for. And thank you for that classic story about him and John Wayne. I can see Duke laughing at what Ernest said, Wayne didnt take himself seriously and enjoyed a good one at his expense. Two great Americans.

• Hamilton
    7:24 pm on July 8th, 2012 8

I thought he did a good job in RED, I had no idea he was 93 or 94 at the time. Rest in Peace.

• Glans
    7:27 pm on July 8th, 2012 9

Ernest Borgnine was a veteran. John Wayne was, like me, a life-long civilian.

• Retired GI
    7:45 pm on July 8th, 2012 10

I really enjoyed McHale’s Navy as a kid. Have seen The Dirty Dozen many times. Last I saw of him was an interview with Bill O’reilly. He didn’t act like a man in his mid 90s. Hollywood is less, now that he is gone.

8:02 pm on July 8th, 2012 11

Good night Funny Man!

• Son_of_Anarchy
    9:04 pm on July 8th, 2012 12

He was the shiznit in AirWolf!!!

10:05 pm on July 8th, 2012 13

12. He was the only good part of Air Wolf.

• Jeremy
    10:44 pm on July 8th, 2012 14

RIP. :( Indeed, he was the best part of Airwolf.

• Pops
    11:17 pm on July 8th, 2012 15

He was a natural in McHale’s Navy, and for good reason! From the Wikipedia entry on him: Borgnine joined the United States Navy in 1935, after graduation from James Hillhouse High School[5] in New Haven, Connecticut. He was discharged in 1941, re-enlisted when the United States entered World War II, and served until 1945 (a total of ten years), reaching the rate of Gunner’s Mate 1st Class. He served aboard the destroyer USS Lamberton (DD-119), and his military decorations included the Navy Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal.

Borgnine received the honorary rating of Chief Petty Officer in 1954 from the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, (MCPON), for Borgnine’s support of the Navy and naval families worldwide, a true temporal feat inasmuch as the Navy did not create the office of MCPON until 1967.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine

His wartime ship, DD-119 was converted just before WWII into a destroyer-minesweeper (DMS) and as DMS-2 served in the Hawaiian Islands, in the Aleutians and off the west coast.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lamberton_%28DD-119%29
    Images of ship at: http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/119.htm

• Glans
    2:00 am on July 9th, 2012 16

Borgnine was a brave veteran, a great actor, and a time traveler. Truly a hero of the ROK Drop.

• Dreamboat Annie
    6:36 am on July 9th, 2012 17

Ernest Borgnine wins the 1956 Academy Award for Best Actor

• Denny
    6:54 am on July 9th, 2012 18

R I P

• Teadrinker
    3:12 pm on July 9th, 2012 19

He always seemed like such a nice man.

#17,

What’s interesting is that Jerry Lewis was essentially saying farewell to Grace Kelly on behalf of Hollywood because she was retiring and moving to Monaco.

PS. I seem to recall him being in a sitcom in the last 10 years or so, but I can’t find its name. Any idea?

Bad Behavior has blocked 30858 access attempts in the last 7 days.