North Korean Economy Shows Growth Last Year Due To Use of Slave Labor

» by in: North Korea

Via the Open Thread comes this report that North Korea actually saw a little bit of economic growth last year due to its growing economic ties with China:

The North Korean economy is undergoing changes. In fact, last year there was actually some growth, with GDP increasing .8 percent, versus a .5 percent decline in 2010. The North Korea GDP (about $28 billion, compared to $1,100 billion for South Korea). Thus even with a larger population, the average South Korean has 20 times more income as their northern counterparts. Moreover, income distribution is quite different in the north, where about two-thirds of the population is very poor and very hungry. The other third contains the well-fed ruling elite (whose lavish country estates can be seen via commercial satellite photos) and their supporters (secret police, military officers, bureaucrats) plus the semi-legal merchant class that has been allowed to develop over the last six years to avoid total economic collapse.

The economic decline in 2010 was the result of agricultural (floods) and industrial (massive power shortages) failure. But China came to the rescue by offering to set up mining operations in North Korea and buy billions of dollars-worth of minerals each year. China rebuilt railroads to handle the increased traffic from the remote North Korean mines. In addition, China offered legal jobs for North Koreans in China. The only catch was that the North Korean government took most of the pay. Similar deals have long been used with Russia, but China offered far more jobs under more comfortable conditions. Competition for these jobs is fierce in North Korea, and the government selects those deemed least likely to run away.  [Strategy Page]

So basically the economic growth was driven by slave labor because the mines in North Korea are manned by criminals and political prisoners.  Additionally the North Koreans expanded their slave labor program to where they have now shipped off workers to China in return for most of their wages being sent back to the government.  So I began to wonder if the United Nations has passed any resolutions against slave labor and the government stealing wages.  What I found was that the UN has passed a resolution against forced labor but that neither China, Russia, or North Korea has ratified it.  South Korea hasn’t ratified it either which is probably what allows them to keep the North Korean quasi-slave labor operation going at Kaesong.

I wonder if there is another country in the world where one of their major areas of economic growth is slave labor?

Tags: , , , ,
  • Tom
    6:13 am on July 9th, 2012 1

Look at it this way. It’s far more growth than the United States. :lol:

• redwhitedude
    8:25 am on July 9th, 2012 2

Slave labor exported? Isn’t that an invitation to defect? Also any country that participates in this is guilty as well. That includes Kaesong.

• Teadrinker
    2:50 pm on July 9th, 2012 3

“So I began to wonder if the United Nations has passed any resolutions against slave labor and the government stealing wages. What I found was that the UN has passed a resolution against forced labor but that neither China, Russia, or North Korea has ratified it. South Korea hasn’t ratified it either which is probably what allows them to keep the North Korean quasi-slave labor operation going at Kaesong.”

I hope a reporter clues in and mentions this instead of the official South Korean government’s analysis I’ve seen reprinted, which is that it’s because North Korea has used more fertilizer.

• MTB Rider
    4:58 pm on July 9th, 2012 4

So Tom is in FAVOR of Slave Labor? :shock:

Really Tom? You know, I used to think you were Chinese, considering your incessant azz kissing of everything China, EXCEPT your views on North Korean State Sponsored Piracy. Now I realise you must be North Korean! You’re not Beijing Betty, you’re Pyongyang Patty! :lol:

North Korean growth is based on exporting Slave Labor, and Tom says this is a good thing?

Or were you talking about China’s Growth? Are you sure of that? How much is real, and how much is just an illusion that will everntually come back and bite China? Building cities just to build them? And here I though the U-Line in Uijongbu was pork barrel!

How many of these cities are they building? Who is the going to live there? Certianly not more Chinese; China’s population is starting to shrink, not grow, and all these buildings? They will never be occupied.

Or what about the fact that many Chinese men won’t ever get to marry because of the lack of women? I guess that’s why you went to Toronto, because you certainly won’t find a woman with your charming personality!

But those 32-35 million men won’t be too upset about not having a wife or children, because they have Tom out there insulting people on the Internet to make up for their lack of pooty-tang. I’m sure that makes ALL the difference!

Go ahead Tom, make your standard comments. We’ve heard them all before, and they were lame the first time you used them and aren’t getting any better as time goes on.

7:21 pm on July 9th, 2012 5

Of course anyone who is pro-norK or pro-China is pro-slave labor but let’s keep this in perspective. Any American who supports the War on Drugs® is definitely pro-slave labor.

/when you point, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

• Hamilton
    1:21 am on July 10th, 2012 6

“/when you point, there are three fingers pointing back at you.”

Three fingers, one from a pot head, one from a meth head and one from a Naked Spice Head Cannibal?

Fine the first one but please lock up the second and shot the third.

• Hamilton
    1:23 am on July 10th, 2012 7

Shoot not shot. :shock:

• MTB Rider
    3:28 am on July 10th, 2012 8

Hey, you won’t ever hear me in favor on the War on Drugs! It’s high time to end that nonsense…

The problem I run into is when I try to bring up the “Adult” side of ending the War, the Stoners all run away. :sad:

Legalize, Regulate, Tax

1. What is a legal amount of possession?
    2. How many plants can you own?
    3. How many micrograms of THC per milliliter of blood is legal?
    4. What is the minimum age to legally consume?

I know some of the answers for alcohol:
    1. Homebrewers can brew 200 gal per adult at a residence.
    2. You can distill for fuel experimentation, but you have to document and track any alcohol so produced. You cannot sell without a liquor production license.
    3. Less than .08 BAC is legal in most states, even though some people are not visibly intoxicated.
    4. Legal age in the U.S. is 21 (I remember the 3.2 beer places when I was in High School)

These are the answers used to deal with the old problem of having a bottle of scotch at your crotch, with a 17 year-old bimbo snuggled under your arm while you drove your Dodge Charger down the back roads. Do that now, and you go to jail or at least face some big fines for open container and DUI.

Drinkers had to grow up and deal with grown-up rules, so should any other intoxicant user. What’s so hard about that?

But what do I hear?
    “Dude, those numbers are totally unfair! I can so hold my smoke at a higher level!”
    “Why can’t I smoke weed, dad? I’m almost 15, why do I have to wait until I’m 21?”
    “Weed shouldn’t be taxed like alcohol! It’s natural! It’s just The Man trying to hold the People down!”

• Denny
    5:03 am on July 10th, 2012 9

American companies use Chinese slave labor.

• Tom
    5:42 am on July 10th, 2012 10

“Go ahead Tom, make your standard comments.”

Sure, since you asked…

All I said was “at least it’s far more growth than the United States”. How do you come to the conclusion I support slave labor? :lol:

Like LaPorte says, you start pointing fingers, four fingers point back at you, and one of them is Tom’s. As mentioned by Orbit, I see no difference between this and the US companies using Chinese slave labor to fatten up your profit margins.

• Tom
    5:51 am on July 10th, 2012 11

oops, I meant’ Denny, not Orbit.

• Chemlightbatteries
    10:03 am on July 11th, 2012 12

Congrats! You win the Despotism award 2012~ Keep cracking that whip!!!! ;-)

10:09 am on July 11th, 2012 13

8. I actually saw a news story the other day about some African country. They have declared a War on Violence! :roll: :shock: :lol:

/seriously

Bad Behavior has blocked 31798 access attempts in the last 7 days.