Avatar of GI KoreaBy on September 4th, 2012 at 3:20 am

Army To Postpone Implementing New PT Test Standards

» by in: US Military

It looks like the US Army will not be implementing its new physical fitness test this fall after all:

The Army will stick to its tried-and-true physical fitness test for now while it orders more reviews of a new assessment meant to more accurately gauge combat readiness.

Commanders in charge of Army-wide training announced last year they wanted to replace the three-event exam given twice a year that requires a soldier to run 2 miles and do sit-ups and push-ups within times that vary by age and gender. Instead, they started in 2011 testing a routine with five parts: a 60-yard shuttle run, a standing long jump, push-ups, a 1.5-mile run and a rower, an exercise similar to a sit-up.

But before it makes any changes, the Army’s Training and Doctrine Command at Joint Base Langley-Eustis in Virginia said this week it would need to conduct further study.

“Emerging factors and changing combat environments demand a thorough understanding before changes are implemented, and thus the decision to retain the current test,” TRADOC Command Sgt. Maj. Daniel A. Dailey said in a statement. “Whatever the new test looks like, it must accurately evaluate fitness levels for all soldiers to decisively win in combat.”

That decision was based on a recommendation from fitness experts from the Department of Physical Education at U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command, and California State University-Fullerton. Those experts also said the Army should consider other events that could better predict a soldier’s physical readiness.  [Stars & Stripes]

You can read my thoughts on the new PT test at this link.

Tags: ,
  • BBBBBBBBBBBBBELL
    2:28 am on September 4th, 2012 1

Until you have a test that is as easy to grade as our current one, the APFT is not going to change.

10:07 am on September 4th, 2012 2

…and as long as you have equal rights you’ll never have a fair one.

• warrior6
    2:34 pm on September 4th, 2012 3

CS and CSS will never make it. the POGS AND REMFS will never make it. combat arms maybe.

• Retired GI
    3:35 pm on September 4th, 2012 4

To be “Proactive” is not in the Army’s nature or abilities.

Make it a pass or fail test. No promotion points for natural “runners” that are not strong enough to load a milvan.

Give females the same test and reps as males. (better yet, don’t make them take a PT test) Everyone knows they are not as physically capable as males.
    Stop trying to pretend it matters.

• William
    3:39 pm on September 4th, 2012 5

#3 HAHA LOL ROFLMAO.

A lot of support MOS have higher section PT averages than a lot of the members of the units they support.

Fort Sill has 40% of its male Artillery members more closely resemble the Pilsburry Dough Boy more than a combat fit Soldier. Go to that pplace and watch what happens in a BDE run. 200 out of the BDE don’t even run, they are held out of the formation. Out of the rst who run, another 100+ never make past one mile and another couple hundred fall out between miles 1-3.

I can see your point though as there are a lot of Soldiers who are nowhere close to fit enough to make the 2MR and get profile after profile to avoid the 2MR.

• BBBBBBBBBBell
    4:28 pm on September 4th, 2012 6

#3: I have to agree with #5 on this one. Deployments play a large role in this. CS and CSS do PT on a somewhat regular basis as they are mostly in a FOB, Combat Arms are sitting around gaining weight on MREs while sitting “at the ready” for 12-15 months (not their fault, it’s the nature of the beast). I have no science to back this, just my own observations.
    No matter what the Army believes, it will ALWAYS come down to the individual. Some people like to stay fit and others like to sit around on their fat asses while gaining rank and a paycheck. We all know which ones are which and it is not MOS specific.

• William
    4:29 pm on September 4th, 2012 7

Fred’s comments from the link to his blog from the new PT Test link gave me a few giggles.

He had a former female Soldier state that she was shocked to enter the Army and discover that the Army was a haven for single parent females using Army as daycare welfare or something to that effect.

In the Army, there is all kind of monkey business where someone in a single parent role male or female (anyone try to gues the % of female single parent and male single parent % in Army?) can get out of all kinds of work on duty time to do things related to “take care” of their child(ren). Once a deployment happens though, the monkey business goes out the window, the long term plan had better work or the Soldier will be chaptered out of the Army, unless the Command can do without her/him and likes them.

• Retired GI
    5:11 pm on September 4th, 2012 8

#7, I have seen the same situations. For some,the only difference between welfare and the Army is that they at least have to make formation, before they take the rest of the day off in the Army.

• MTB Rider
    5:55 pm on September 4th, 2012 9

Hmm… When I was in the Navy, we had guys who could do well on all the “physical” events (pushups x 2min, situps x2min, 1.5mile run) but would still fail on the Seated Toe Touch. Long legs, short arms.

I’m 180lbs, and race mountain bikes nearly every weekend, but I can’t do the standing long jump! I’ve tried several times, but I just can’t make the male minimum distance. True, I’m 47, retired, and do have to do that test any more, but what is the point of the long jump?

• MTB Rider
    6:08 pm on September 4th, 2012 10

Sorry, mean to say “I don’t have to do that test any more.” :oops:

• Duke of Yong Gu Gol
    8:21 pm on September 4th, 2012 11

Put a 10 mile road march with full gear, weapon and a 40 pound pack on the weekly training schedule Army wide and I think it would be a great start to building stronger tougher soldiers.

A guy can dream.

• Kingkitty
    8:48 pm on September 4th, 2012 12

Yea duke and add walking through streams filled with mud and snakes with bugs that spit acid while making the Soldiers do push ups yea….got to be better than the PRT crap

• Joshi Joe
    10:15 am on September 8th, 2012 13

Get rid of all the fast food joints on post and the short order lines at the dining facility…

• Setnaffa
    1:43 pm on September 8th, 2012 14

Joshi Joe is a food nazi…

• Retired GI
    3:24 pm on September 8th, 2012 15

If GI Jane and Joe are “properly” motivated and have good Leaders, they will stay away from the junk food and short order line. They also will not fock around on their partners or go drinking all night.

(That’s Funny, I don’t care who you are)

I was in the best shape of my life when I was drinking. The trouble started when I quit drinking. (I need to start drinking again) ;-)

• Still In
    5:10 am on October 1st, 2012 16

I am not sure how we still have different standards for the same jobs. I wonder why jobs with a higher physical requirement don’t have different/more challenging standards, but with that should come extras ($$) as they have a different requirement. I know a lot get jump pay, but just doesn’t seem right. I am in CSS and wonder why I have the same job as someone else, same age, same rank, but I have to run the APFT almost 7 minutes faster just to pass. If there is more expected out of anyone, they should be properly compensated for it. If not, make the standard equal for all.

• William
    8:17 am on October 1st, 2012 17

If in the Army, we had an objective team of hundreds of NCOs from outside the units come in and administer an APFT and weigh-in/tape test, then follow up 3 months later, we would be set to eliminate 1/4+ of our Army right there if the leaders actions and paperwork to document it were right. However, it says right in hte AR for separting someone, that the Army has invested too much time and money just to let someone(s) go that eaasy without all attempts at rehabilitation. There is no way the Army would get rid of over 1/4 its force or over 1/3 of Fort Sill. A general(s) would have to testify why he had a personal leadership failure casuing this stat. Guarantee he has already implicitly hinted anyone below him is toast for even thinking of trying that, even if it isn’t the leaders fault the fat boy/fat gal since early childhood made a habit of breaking into the hostess factory, pried open all the shipping crates with the jaws of life, and crammed case after case of twinkies, Suzie-Qs and Ho-Ho using an artillry gun bore ram to cram it down their gullet.

• Glans
    8:08 am on March 13th, 2013 18

Vladimir Putin, president of Russia, proposes restoration of the Sovietsky GTO (Ready for Labor and Defense) physical fitness standard for children. Here’s the big story. Russian kids will learn “to stand up for themselves, their family and, in the final run, the Fatherland.”

• kangaji
    9:40 am on March 13th, 2013 19

#18 Honestly I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have national fitness standards

• Retired GI
    7:48 am on March 14th, 2013 20

I agree with Kangaji. National Fitness Standards would be a great thing for America.

Bad Behavior has blocked 28685 access attempts in the last 7 days.