Avatar of GI KoreaBy on November 10th, 2012 at 3:21 am

Korea Attempts To Return Red Foxes Back To Its National Parks

It would be pretty cool if South Korea is able to get foxes sustainably returned to the wild, but as this below article shows it will be extremely difficult:

The Korea National Park Service began its ambitious plan to bring back the endangered Korean red fox by releasing a pair into the wild, where it hoped they would thrive.

But six days later, the female fox was found dead in the mountains.

There are fewer than 30 red foxes in Korea, most living in zoos.

The Korea National Park Service, under the Ministry of Environment, released a male fox and female fox on Oct. 31 into Mount Sobaek National Park, located in both North Chungcheong and North Gyeongsang, in a “Born Free”-style project to restore the population of native foxes in the wild.

But on Tuesday, the young female fox that was released was found dead near a farmer’s house in Yeongju, North Gyeongsang, five kilometers (3.1 miles) away from the location of release, raising controversy regarding the timing and method of releasing the foxes into the wild.  [Joong Ang Ilbo]

• MTB Rider
    5:57 am on November 10th, 2012 1

But wont they eat your liver? :twisted:

• Teadrinker
    10:07 pm on November 10th, 2012 2

They need to breed them in captivity to a greater number than 30 before releasing them in the wild.

And…”near a farmer’s house”. Let me guess…a chicken farmer?

• Baek In-je
    12:52 am on November 11th, 2012 3

What kind of animals can you find in the wild in Korea?
    The ones that dont taste good.
    Seriously folks, I go to the mountain near my house every day and there is nothing that lives there: not a bird, not a squirrel, not a mouse, nothing. The only thing I see besides the mountain is the trash that Koreans throw. Who goes out to enjoy nature and then litter?

1:58 am on November 11th, 2012 4

Are they delicious and increase male potency?

• Teadrinker
    2:26 am on November 11th, 2012 5

#3,

Get off the trails. I see deer practically every time I go hiking, and I hike a lot.

• Teadrinker
    2:27 am on November 11th, 2012 6

…PS. Never heard of nocturnal and diurnal animals?

• John
    2:48 am on November 11th, 2012 7

Teadrinker brags again, how much wildlife HE sees and how much HE hikes.

Then he throws out two fancy words he found on the internet in a patronizing way to show how much smarter he is than anybody else, not realizing that anybody who took Biology 101, or even high school biology, has heard of both nocturnal and diurnal animals.

My new hobby is going to be flagging every time Teadrinker needlessly brags about himself, needlessly talks down to others or needlessly refers to big words and concepts hoping someone will think he has mastered the subject. I will be busy.

• Teadrinker
    3:25 am on November 11th, 2012 8

#7,

No, simply pointing the fact that their is wildlife. Just last Thursday, as a matter of fact, I was talking about it with a guy I know who’s into moutain biking. He had the scare of his life when he had come face to face with a huge wild hog the day before.

And my new hobby is pointing out when I see a troll. Look, there’s one right in front of your computer screen!

PS. The deer here are pretty dumb since they have no natural predators. They’ll run straight down a hill (the easier route) when they hear a sound downhill instead of going up away from the sound and the scent like they do in North America.

• Teadrinker
    3:27 am on November 11th, 2012 9

“Then he throws out two fancy words he found on the internet in a patronizing way”

Oh, F off. Those aren’t fancy words. It’s elementary school science.

• Teadrinker
    3:31 am on November 11th, 2012 10

…Oh, but you mentioned that…Show’s how little attention I pay to your drivel.

• MTB Rider
    4:19 am on November 11th, 2012 11

I saw a deer on my last ride near Uijeongbu. Made my day!

• Teadrinker
    4:36 am on November 11th, 2012 12

Yes, they aren’t as majestic as the ones back home, but it’s always great to come across one.

• John
    6:22 am on November 11th, 2012 13

“No, simply pointing the fact that their is wildlife.”

Are you pointing the fact or pointing OUT the fact?

Do you really not intuitively know the difference between their and there? That is not a typo. Anybody with the education you constantly claim to have would never make that mistake.

You do not think like you are educated. You do not write like you are educated. There is no excuse.

Bad Behavior has blocked 29525 access attempts in the last 7 days.