Avatar of GI KoreaBy on November 12th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Theme Update In Progress

Picture via Flickr user Free Grunge Textures.

As most people have probably noticed, the ROK Drop has been undergoing a theme update today.  Part of the theme update is the installation of the Disqus comment system.  Old comments are still being uploaded into the Disqus servers and setup continues.  Hopefully tomorrow everything will be configured and up and running.  I decided to install Disqus because it will allow readers to edit their comments for those who register for a Disqus account.  Comment editing has been a long time complaint by readers so hopefully this update will address that.  Disqus has some other features that I will inform people of once I get the update and configuration completed.

Thank you for your patience.

Tags: ,
    7:37 pm on November 12th, 2012 1

Edit comments!!! YES!!!!!!

• guitard
    8:11 pm on November 12th, 2012 2

Tom is gonna this feature – now when he gets caught in a lie, he can just go back and edit his post!

• Kingkitty
    1:50 am on November 13th, 2012 3

Its how all these websites end…..I will not be long from now.  Next they will be requiring a fee to join

• Commenter
    4:16 am on November 13th, 2012 4

This sucks. People should edit their comments BEFORE they hit send, like adults. Further the revisionist history possible with editing comments will make debate with idiots more difficult.

• Fanwarrior
    6:04 am on November 13th, 2012 5

This is such a mess. This was just tried at Marmot’s hole and it was a spectacular failure. So many issues with disquss.. My last time commenting here.

• GI Korea
    6:20 am on November 13th, 2012 6

I am still trying to get Disqus formatted properly on the site and all the old comments uploaded. If I cannot get it formatted properly for the site I will just turn it off and go back to the old comment system.

• guitard
    6:57 am on November 13th, 2012 7

You know . . . there is such thing as a time limit for editing. Set it for 5 minutes and that allows people to go back and make quick changes – but that’s all.

• GI Korea
    7:27 am on November 13th, 2012 8

Guitard, I plan on having a 5 minute time limit to edit comments, but I am still trying to figure out how to do it right now. Disqus is not exactly the easiest commenting system to setup.

• Fanwarrior
    8:36 am on November 13th, 2012 9

There are security issues with Disquss as well. I’ve had it alter the username it’s using to post between the time time you hit the post button and it actually putting the comment in place, by pulling a cookie from another site using disquss. Essentially getting the user to agree to post with 1 username, but then after pushing post, it changes it to the username used on another site. Yeah at that point I was done. Last I’ll say on it.

• Commenter
    5:38 pm on November 13th, 2012 10

Discus is a huge mistake. It is just one step below spyware and it will discourage the anonymous posters that occasionaly supply good information. This is a large and unwelcome change just to please a few careless people who want to proofread their posts 5 minutes after hitting submit instead of 30 seconds before.

Changing, and unintentionally disabling/losing, comments right at the peak of the biggest military-related story of the decade is also a frustrating experience.

• ritch_V
    6:06 pm on November 13th, 2012 11

Edit feature will be appreciated, everyone deserves a do-over every once in a while.

• GI Korea
    6:50 pm on November 13th, 2012 12

@7 – Could you explain how Disqus is spyware? You do not have to register with Disqus in order to leave a comment. You can post as a guest if you want if you are concerned about your privacy. I do not see how Disqus will discourage anonymous commenting.

As far as doing the theme upgrade during the Petraeus controversy, this was just bad luck. I figured Veterans Day weekend would be a slow news weekend to work on the site. Playing around with themes and especially Disqus takes time and troubleshooting and unfortunately it happened when I decided to have the theme updated.

Also I have the comments now formatted to look exactly like the old commenting system with numbers for each comment to respond to as well as having the oldest comments at the top and the newer ones at the bottom. I also have the comment box at the end of the comments just like with the old comment system. So everything is the same as before, but with added Disqus features.

Is anyone having any problems currently with the commenting system?

• JoeC
    7:50 pm on November 13th, 2012 13

The links in the Recent Comments list no longer jump the comment that was clicked on. It’s a minor inconvenience.

• Robert Koehler
    7:56 pm on November 13th, 2012 14

Good luck with the Disqus move, sir.

• OakSeed
    8:07 pm on November 13th, 2012 15

Jill Kelley, who sparked the Petraeus scandal, ran an , ahem, “questionable” charity.
    “From the records, it appears that the charity fell far short of its mission. While the origins of the seed money used to start the charity in 2007 are unclear, financial records reviewed by The Huffington Post reveal that the group spent all of its money not on research, but on parties, entertainment, travel and attorney fees.”

Read all about it at Huffington Post.

• OakSeed
    8:08 pm on November 13th, 2012 16

Jill Kelley, who sparked the Petraeus scandal, ran a , ahem, questionable charity.

Read all about it at Huffington Post.

• Stephen
    1:12 am on November 14th, 2012 17

OakSeed, “the origins of the seed money used to start the charity in 2007 are unclear”.

A federal government grant? Which was then spent mostly on meals and catering to obtain networking opportunities with senior staff? Where have I seen this before?

• GI Korea
    6:14 am on November 14th, 2012 18

@11 – Robert thanks, I know how you had some difficulties with Disqus but so far it appears the only issue I have remaining to work out is getting all the old comments to upload. For some reason Disqus keeps timing out and not uploading all my comments.

• Commenter
    6:51 am on November 14th, 2012 19

I should add that Disqus is untrustable. It shows my comment at the bottom of the comment chain but a quick check from another browser shows that it did not actually get posted. I will try this shorter one.

• Commenter
    7:39 am on November 14th, 2012 20

Part 1

GI Korea,

I posted comment #7 from Android. It said “Just a moment…”. This went on for several minutes until I had other stuff to do. When I checked it again 20 minutes later, it had posted correctly. When I tried to post a reply, it again said “Just a moment…” and, hours later, is still saying it.

Disqus is slow, arbitrary and unreliable. To function, it requires Java, cookies and web bugs to be allowed. This is a security risk. Further, as these trackers must be allowed, Disqus builds a database of every Disqus-powered website someone visits, and the name used, even if they comment as guests. This is also a security risk of sorts for military and military-related viewers.

• Guest
    7:43 am on November 14th, 2012 21

Part 2

Go to Wikipedia and read the “Criticism and privacy concerns”. Disqus is flagging something in my quote. After reading it, consider the rest of my comment.

Especially after the recent CIA scandal, this should stop any cautious military member from commenting about anything intelligent or useful on a Disqus-powered website.

If this isn’t enough, there is another issue that might be more important to you. Becasue Disqus is Java-based with comments residing on an external Disqus server, comments appearing in search engines are somewhat unreliable. For many searches, ROK Drop comments come high on the list of Google results. This may no longer be the case. In the past, a line from a ROK Drop comment in quotes almost always returned a result within hours, or minutes, of the comment. None of the comments since Disqus was installed are yet (if ever) being returned by Google. This is an unfortunate side effect for all the old-timers who stumble upon ROK Drop while searching for former units and friends.

These are some of my concerns. Google “disqus sucks” for more. Start here:

GI Korea, this is your blog and you may do as you please. However, the best leaders and managers get input from their teams to make sure they aren’t overlooking anything on the ground. As there are many intelligent readers here with a lot of experience who have invested time and emotion into being part of the group, it might be prudent to suggest changes you intend to make and let the readership argue out the pros and cons or suggest alternative methods of accomplishing stated goals before making the final decision.

• JoeC
    3:03 pm on November 14th, 2012 22

I took a look at the source code on a page.

The Recent Comments listing still looks for comments numbered with a “comment-” prefix in their ID tag but Disqus prefixes it’s comment ID tag numbers with “dsq-comment-message-”.

• MTB Rider
    10:49 pm on November 14th, 2012 23

Things I’ve noticed: (I may have mentioned them elsewhere, but figured this to be the central location.)
    I can only see two lines of text as I write.
    I don’t see the emoticon buttons, and when I use an emote they may show up as the image, or as the code. :lol: might show up as the laughing face, or it might show up as colon, lima oscar lima, colon…
    No numbers. I’ve seen people reference to Post 7 or Post 1. Post 1 is easy to guess, but with a mix of long and short posts? Or a LONG series of posts?
    Old messages not showing up. I was looking at an article about Gen. Petraeus that listed 15 comments, but only 1 was showing. I assume this is part of the database move?
    I’ve also noticed the profound lack of Tom. Keep this feature! (Actually, I don’t care. Tom is a Troll, everyone knows it, and to be honest… When the big kerfluffle about the Osan MPs was building up steam, Tom posted about how as a child in the 1980′s, he was terrified because the soldiers were out shooting up the ville. It was so stupid people just stopped talking about the issue all together. Also, Tom has said he is from Gangnam… When did Gangnam move from near Yongsan to its current location? Across the river isn’t exactly within Drunken G.I. Rampage range! :lol: )
    I’ve tried to use the Register to Contribute button, but it blows me off with a “Not Taking Members” page. But since I can still post, I’m not worried.

• JoeC
    11:41 pm on November 14th, 2012 24

I see numbers to the left of comments but the numbers are not fixed to the comments. They indicate the position down the list but the comments at those positions will change depending on the order by which the list is sorted.

You may have noticed a Sort By drop down list at the top of the Comment section which allows them to be sorted by Popular Now, Best Rating, Newest First or Oldest First.

Since the number is not useful for indicating a specific comment an alternative would have been to tag with the commentor’s name and the time-stamp of the comment, but we are not given time-stamps for the comments either :( .

6:08 am on November 15th, 2012 25

I decided to turn off the Disqus comments so no one should be having any further issues with it. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone but I was just trying to add some of the additional options that Disqus has to the comments section.

• Glans
    10:03 am on November 15th, 2012 26

It’s good to try new ideas. If they don’t work, it’s good to go back to the old way. Long live GI Korea!

• Stephen
    10:32 pm on November 15th, 2012 27

3:28 am on November 16th, 2012 28

Too bad disqust didn’t work out, but I understand it is the suck. I don’t know what you are limited to but it would be nice to one day have the edit feature and the vote up/down feature while maintaining the simplicity and utility of posting here.

4:09 am on November 16th, 2012 29

@28- Trying commenting now and let me know what you think. I may have come up with a solution for editing comments.

Bad Behavior has blocked 30768 access attempts in the last 7 days.