Avatar of GI KoreaBy on November 14th, 2012 at 8:04 am

Jill Kelley Serving As Honorary South Korean Consol

» by in: US Military

Now the Petraeus sex scandal has taken on a South Korean angle:

South Korea’s foreign ministry has confirmed to VOA that Jill Kelley, who is at the center of a scandal that has led to the resignation of the CIA director, is still serving as one of the country’s honorary consuls in Florida.

A ministry official, speaking on condition he not be further identified, says the process to appoint Kelley began in August and she was given a certificate of appointment the following month.

Kelley is alleged to have tipped off the FBI about threatening e-mails from a woman who has been sexually involved with David Petraeus, the four star Army general who resigned last week as director of the Central Intelligence Agency after acknowledging an adulterous relationship with Paula Broadwell, who authored his biography.

Kelley, 37, is known for her high-level social ties to MacDill Air Force Base, the home of the U.S. Central Command, near Tampa, Florida.

The Foreign Policy.com web site, quotes an unnamed diplomatic official as saying Kelley helped obtain support for the South Korea-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and arranged meetings between the South Korean ambassador and local business leaders in the Tampa area.

A Fox News Channel program – “On the Record” with Greta Van Susteren – quotes a businessman as saying he met Kelley at the Republican National Convention in Tampa and was told  she was a close friend of Petraeus and had extensive business contacts in South Korea.  [Voice of America]

You can read the rest at the link, but she was trying to use her high level contacts to cash in on business deals with South Korean companies.  In other Jill Kelley news that comes via a reader tip, Kelley has also been linked to founding a charity back in 2007 for cancer research that never provided any funding for cancer research and instead was probably a front for her to cultivate her high level contacts.  Kelley is also millions of dollars in debt and may have intentionally exposed this scandal in the hopes of cashing in on it to pay off her debts.

To make things even stranger is that Kelley was some now able to get both Petraeus and General John Allen to write letters to help her twin sister in a custody battle with her ex-husband.  Why would two 4-star generals get involved in such a domestic court case?  I have never heard of high level commanders getting involved in something like that?  It also seems strange that high level military leaders are hanging out with someone who ran reportedly a sham charity and has many foreign contacts that she is cashing in on.

Anyway this whole scandal is turning into a bad Desperate Housewives plot line.

• thomasglee
    7:41 am on November 14th, 2012 1

why can’t we see comments? Is it my browser? (Chrome)

• liz
    8:06 am on November 14th, 2012 2

God’s Holy Trousers!! I keep turning on the internet waiting for the next ball to drop. I don’t watch reality shows or read hollywood gossip (or usually any gossip) but I swear I can’t help myself.

General Allen seriously looks like something out of the version of a Protestant in Monty Python’s ‘Meaning of Life’. He sent 20,000 e mails? Including ostensible “passionate” ones? This is so rich in satire I can’t look away…
    Someone find Assange and give him a (temporary) mulligan out of the Ecuadorian embassy…so I can read this stuff.

• thomasglee
    12:10 pm on November 14th, 2012 3

U.S. general demoted over ‘extravagant trips’

• JoeC
    2:27 pm on November 14th, 2012 4

Apparently, this Kelly lady tried to use her “honorary” diplomat status to get diplomat protection when she called local police to get reporters away from her house.

I’m guessing there are bunches of flag officers out there right now trying to figure out how to wipe all traces of their I-touch-myself-when-I-think-of-you emails and sex-tings. Here’s a tip: once you hit send it’s out there and can be removed.

@2 I also thought of Assange’s Wikileaks and the Anonymous crews. I’m sure they’ve already started digging through the digital trash bins of current and former military leaders and their lady friends.

• Denny
    2:39 pm on November 14th, 2012 5

That’s why slutty women will always be hired over a man for a position.

• Liz
    4:41 pm on November 14th, 2012 6

Jenna Jameson for president!!!

• flyingsword
    4:44 pm on November 14th, 2012 7

So does this make her an agent of a foreign government?

• JoeC
    4:54 pm on November 14th, 2012 8

#5

Here’s a supporting article.

• GI Korea
    6:28 pm on November 14th, 2012 9

@7 – It does seem like she was in a good position to collect for the Koreans. I wonder if all the brass she was hanging out with knew about her connection with the Koreans?

• GI Korea
    6:29 pm on November 14th, 2012 10

@1 – Are you still having any issues seeing the comments?

• Sonagi
    6:45 pm on November 14th, 2012 11

20,000 emails and sextings to this cut-rate Kardashian with a mannish face and an overly sanded nose? What am I missing here?

• MTB Rider
    10:05 pm on November 14th, 2012 12

I can see the comments, but not the comment number. Is there a comment number?
    Also, will the emotes be returning (or are they something I can’t see?) I like having my :lol: when dealing with Tom’s more rediculous assertations.
    Hmm… Something else: I can only see two lines of text as I write. Not sure if it is at my end or at ROK Drops end.

• Liz
    4:48 am on November 15th, 2012 13

Never, never, never believe any (FBI investigation) will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes she will encounter. The (socialite) who yields to (calling the FBI) fever must realize that once the signal is given, she is no longer the master but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.

• Glans
    10:24 am on November 15th, 2012 14

Today’s fun fact: Jill Kelley is an Arab. Juan Cole explores her background.

• Teadrinker
    10:46 pm on November 15th, 2012 15

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some men really a suckers…and they do the stupidest things for some really unattractive women, too.

• John
    2:33 am on November 16th, 2012 16

How do you know that, Teadrinker?

Did your wife tell you to speak your thoughts?

Badabing!

• Teadrinker
    4:24 am on November 16th, 2012 17

#16,

Click on the links, look at the pictures of her, and now tell me you’d risk losing everything for a piece of that. If you answer yes, you’re a damned fool.

• TheKorean
    5:47 pm on November 16th, 2012 18

:lol:

• chefantwon
    7:44 pm on November 16th, 2012 19

TeaDrinker, she is better looking than some of the mistresses out there lately, so you can’t be that upset. There are plenty of worse looking ones out there for him to of had.

• Elmer
    11:26 pm on November 16th, 2012 20

Am I the only one feeling glee at the public outing and humiliation of the 3 harpies involved in this scandal?

We all know social box-checking women like this who insert themselves into every situation with their fake smiles and empty generosity and we secretly wonder who they are blowing to get the baseless credibility they get from high-level guys who fall over themselves doing things for them they could never be troubled to do for those they are supposed to be looking out for.

Korea does not have the monopoly on scummy Good Neighbor programs.

But at least we now know who they are blowing.

Bad Behavior has blocked 28864 access attempts in the last 7 days.