It looks like with the US Presidential election out the way feelers are being put out there by the administration to see how the North Korean regime responds:
James Steinberg, former United States deputy secretary of state, said Washington is open to resuming a serious dialogue with Pyongyang but North Korea should first understand the consequences of the breakdown of the agreement made earlier this year.
“There is a lot of disappointment [in the U.S.] that we were unable to move forward with the Feb. 29 agreement,” Steinberg said, in an interview with the JoongAng Ilbo and the Korea JoongAng Daily on Tuesday in Seoul.
“That was a great opportunity with the new leader [Kim Jong-un] and there are more explanations and speculations to why they fell apart but I would believe that the President and his team going forward would be open to going back to having a serious dialogue.”
Steinberg, who served as deputy secretary of state from 2009-11, was referring to the deal the U.S. struck with North Korea on Feb. 29 in which the nuclear-armed country promised to suspend nuclear missile tests and uranium enrichment in return for food aid from the U.S. The agreement, however, ended in April when the North launched a missile, breaking its promise. Washington-Pyongyang dialogue has been on ice since then. [Joong Ang Ilbo]
You can read the rest at the link, but in my opinion the North Koreans actually did not break the agreement. This goes back to why I criticized the food aid deal back in February because it did not specify that the deal included a moratorium on space launches. As cynical as the North Koreans are obviously being, they actually had a point that they did not technically violate the food aid agreement. They did violate three UN resolutions, but I think everyone quit caring about UN resolutions along time ago when it comes to North Korea.