Avatar of GI KoreaBy on November 17th, 2012 at 7:39 am

Seoul National University Confirms That Ahn Cheol-soo Did Not Plagiarize

Seoul National University has confirmed that Korean presidential candidate Ahn Cheol-soo did not plagiarize his papers at the college:

A Seoul National University panel determined Friday that independent presidential candidate Ahn Cheol-soo did not plagiarize his academic papers.

The panel made the announcement at the end of a preliminary probe into allegations that Ahn used parts of others’ work in his dissertations without attribution and disguised sections of his own papers as new material in later publications.

Ahn graduated from the prestigious university with a bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree in medicine. Five of his papers were subject to the probe, including his master’s and doctoral theses submitted in 1988 and 1991, respectively.

The university said it has closed the case without a main investigation.  [Yonhap]

The article didn’t say, but does anyone know if Ahn has released his college papers for people to read?  A big part of his campaign is his academic background so it seems that his papers should be open to people to read if they want.

Tags: , , ,
  • Stephen
    7:47 am on November 18th, 2012 1

Title Unification Match for KDA and the KDF*.

Round 1: Ahn wins on points. No hits by Moon.

Round 2: Moon’s goons try to rig the pre-selection.

Round 3: Ahn puts Roy Jones Jnr in his corner.

Round 4: Nate Silver calls bout for Ahn! He now fights Park – the holder of the KCA** belt – for the outright championship.

* Korea Democratic Association. Korea Democratic Federation.

** Korea Chaebol Alliance.

• Tom
    5:19 am on November 19th, 2012 2

We had over 60 comments here not too long ago, with everybody racially generalizing on Ahn as another big fat cheat Korean.

So it turns out the charge wasn’t true. So what have you guys have to say now?

• Kangaji
    6:26 am on November 19th, 2012 3

Oh… I guess you’re not addressing me Tom.
    Nevertheless I maintain my stance that Baek Inje should move to Japan.

• Dr.Yu
    6:59 am on November 19th, 2012 4

Oh, come on Tom!!!! They are westerners … they never fail and never troll … :lol:

• John in NY
    7:27 am on November 19th, 2012 5

I thought Tom was banned. Just temporary?

• MTB Rider
    11:51 am on November 19th, 2012 6

No, not banned as much as busy digging out from Superstorm Sandy. I didnt realize Toronto got hit that hard.

How much flooding or storm damage did you have, Tom?

• Glans
    12:26 pm on November 19th, 2012 7

MTB Rider, wouldn’t it be funny if he’s not in Toronto, but in New York?

• Setnaffa
    2:44 pm on November 19th, 2012 8

Tom acts more like he’s in Beijing or Pyongyang… But I think he’s in Amarillo…

• MTB Rider
    3:24 pm on November 19th, 2012 9

Well, Tom could have moved at any time. His I.P address used to be Toronto, before he routed it through a proxy in California. But no matter what, he’s NOT in South Korea. Are you, Tommy? :lol:

What I’ve been wondering lately though, is if Tom and Baek InJe are one and the same. Tom, who claims to be Korean, insults Americans and posts under an American (or at least Western) name. Baek InJe claims to be American, posts under a Korean name, and insults Korean in the same writing style as Tom. :evil:

As for Ahn Cheol-soo, I really don’t know if he plagiarized or not, as I have not read his papers, nor compared them to other publicized works. There are paper recognition websites that can compare writing styles and cross-reference papers to check for plagiarism. There is also the long held Korean “Tradition of the White Envelope,” so even if the University cleared him, it doesn’t mean all that much.

Of course, since I’m not voting in this election, I really don’t have a dog in this fight.

Bad Behavior has blocked 30794 access attempts in the last 7 days.