Avatar of GI KoreaBy on January 12th, 2013 at 1:05 pm

In this photo released by the South Korean defense ministry, Gen. Cho Jung-hwan (R), the Army chief of staff, talks with his U.S. counterpart Raymond Odierno during a meeting at the defense ministry in Seoul on Jan. 11, 2013. (Yonhap)

• Sapper
    5:24 pm on January 12th, 2013 1

Who’s out of uniform? Why do senior leaders continue to wear ACUs for official visits in Korea?

6:15 pm on January 12th, 2013 2

A general can designate or wear any uniform they like. I guess the senior general could wear pink hot pants if he chose. I do not see anything wrong with ACU’s.

• Bob
    7:41 pm on January 12th, 2013 3

IMHO he should be in dress uniform.

• 2ID Doc
    9:29 pm on January 12th, 2013 4

#1 & #3 I agree this is a business meeting not a trip to the field or the DMZ.
    #2 Leon he can choose any uniform, it’s obvious he cannot choose wisely.

• Ole Tanker
    9:34 pm on January 12th, 2013 5

He’s Infantry! Not known for brains!

• Chris
    9:44 pm on January 12th, 2013 6

With all this defense budget cuts, how about they cut out all these TDY trips that cost over $20,000. Guess where he stayed at while he was here. The Presidential Suite at the Westin. Just my two cents worth.

12:54 am on January 13th, 2013 7

From the Aide handbook:

“f. Most generals don’t require anything fancy when traveling commercially. Most military installation VIP quarters are excellent. If off-post, check whether it is a high-cost area or not. This will impact on where you stay and how much you can pay. Check local authorized per diem rates at http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/. Book accommodations within or seek authorization for over per diem rates prior to travel. This must be on the TDY order. If the general is a guest speaker, the sponsoring organization might pick-up the tab. Check with the command SJA on whether this arrangement is with in legal limits. ”

He’s a four star so he can have the orders pre-written for a nice place, but you’d think he’d get flagged even as a four star without a good justification. UNLESS the Aide got the Presidential Suite at the per diem rate by negotiating with the Westin for a special military discount.

• Bob
    1:39 am on January 13th, 2013 8

I’ve owned my own business in the past, I had my regular work wear clothes and then my professional suit lined up too. Whenever I knew I was going into a high level meeting with a partner I’d come in my sunday’s best. Might I add I could choose to wear whatever I wanted I was the boss. I owned the company.

• Kcbill
    5:24 am on January 13th, 2013 9

Why do people speculate and talk about things they no nothing about? It makes one look foolish. He did not stay at the Westin.

• Kingkitty
    5:33 am on January 13th, 2013 10

No he stayed at the Howard Johnsons

• Smokes
    6:29 am on January 13th, 2013 11

Who cares what he’s waering? Why is this guy still drawing a paycheck and allowed to make high level decisions when he was directly responsible for so many deaths and waste in Iraq?

• Bob
    5:29 pm on January 13th, 2013 12

What was his history in Iraq?

8:30 pm on January 13th, 2013 13

Even if Odierno did stay at the Westin they could have gave him the government per diem rate. I have stayed at nice hotels myself just by calling around and asking if they would match the government rate. However the greater point about reducing TDY costs is something I have seen more emphasis on the past two tears. However in my experience this is not something that has effected senior leadership yet.

8:35 pm on January 13th, 2013 14

@12- I served under Odierno in Iraq. He was a CG that had to make very difficult decisions in a very dangerous area, the Sunni Triangle that the media bashed him for. Many of the counterinsurgency ideas used by 4ID would later be used during the Surge period. That is why Petraeus made him his deputy during the Surge and Odierno would later take over for him.

• SmokingFreedomGuy
    9:01 pm on January 13th, 2013 15

GI out of curiosity were you on his staff or in a unit that was under his command? I was on the MNFI command staff for both Petraeus and Odierno and can tell you first hand he lived in the shadow of Dave despite physically towering over him, not to mention being there when the realization came about that a lot of 4ID’s “great ideas” were the reason things were going so sour with the local towards the end. No one was loving the whole Dave scandal more than Ray.

4:55 am on January 14th, 2013 16

Odierno as well as Jack Keane and a few others have been called the brains behind the Surge strategy.

Petraeus had a lot of help putting his Surge strategy together. Petraeus is not only smart he is a media master. Odierno was never that great using the media. His demeaner and appearance does not come scross well on TV. So when Petraeus did things the 4ID did he was able to sell it to the media where Odierno got criticized for doing the same thing as the 4ID commander.

Bad Behavior has blocked 58231 access attempts in the last 7 days.