Avatar of GI KoreaBy on January 30th, 2013 at 2:42 am

CSM Mahoney On DUI’s In Korea

» by in: USFK

The subject of DUIs in USFK is one I have often brought up because there is absolutely no reason why anyone should get a DUI in Korea with the various mass transit and taxi options available to servicemembers:

Judging by how few views this service announcement is getting few people are going to hear CSM Mahoney’s advice via YouTube, but it should be small unit commanders consistently reminding troops of the consequences of a DUI in Korea.

• guitard
    6:56 am on January 30th, 2013 1

The CSM says the penalties are severe . . . but are they? Read the ROK criminal prosecution results and look at the number of guys who get busted for DUI and get off with 1,000,000 Won fines. And guess what? For the purposes of civilian driving records – those convictions don’t follow them back to the US.

• Daleran
    3:40 pm on January 30th, 2013 2

Yeah, the ROK will let you off easy. But in today’s army its the being chaptered out the military or an effective career ender that will get you. Also keep in mine that the only people in cars in Korea are E7 and above or younger soldiers who brought their families with them.

• Hamilton
    5:00 pm on January 30th, 2013 3

#1, with that fine you get a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand at the minimum in your permanent file.

No more promotions, reenlistments, schools or retention when that board meets.

• Ole Tanker
    5:57 pm on January 30th, 2013 4

#3 I hope the Army system has got better than the old days.
    I knew 2 guys who got DUI’s stateside back in the 90′s.
    Both got Letters of Reprimand, well officially, they both told me that the Letters never got put in their Official records.
    Both went on to retire.

Being KOOREA!! I wouldn’t be surprised if something got missed, on accident of course:)

• guitard
    6:28 pm on January 30th, 2013 5

No more promotions, reenlistments, schools or retention when that board meets.

I’m not saying you get off scott free. My point is – if you get busted for DUI in the States – you get hammered by both the civil justice system AND the military.

And I almost forgot to mention – Uncle Sam pays for your civilian lawyer in Korea. So on top of receiving a smaller fine – you don’t have to pay the legal bill.

If you’re a good troop, and you can get your leadership to back you, you can survive a DUI. It’s gonna hurt, and it’s gonna hurt bad. But there are guys who survive and are able to finish their careers.

• jim
    7:24 pm on January 30th, 2013 6

#4, can’t tell you how many promotion packets have been lost over here. don’t confuse “accident” with piss-poor management.

• MrEvidence
    7:34 am on January 31st, 2013 7

#1 Yes, convictions of DUI/DWI overseas USUALLY don’t follow you back to the States and your civilian driving record, however, IF the unit/Legal personel did their job and followed the regulation, it WOULD go back to your State driving record. How do I know? Fell victim to the overseas low BAC of .03 in Japan (.05 on post) and took a hit on my career with the General Officer LOR in my official records, but kept my rank and retired 4 years later, happier than ever! :) Believe it or not, got stopped LEAVING post during a random check of every 10th vehicle or whatever leaving post. Crappiest thing of it all was the installation CSM was driving his car in front of me and of course, he didnt get stopped and he was LIT UP! He had been at our Dining In and stayed in teh club afterwards drinking. I had gone home for 2 hours, only had drank 2 beers at the Dining In, and still blew a .056! Not making excuses but if the legal limit in the States is going to be .08 than enough said…got it, got to abide by the countries laws you reside in but .05 in Korea, .03 in Japan, come on! Gargle too much Listerine and have an MP put you on the Breathylyer 2000 and BAM! Over the limit! Sure, they TRY to wait the 30 minutes before testing you but its all a farce….than the military reg is so ate up, even if you request a blood test they dont have to acknolwedge your request. In the States, MOST Judges would throw out the charge if an Officer failed to get your blood tested as you requested. Lastly, I saw throughout my career, at military balls, dining In’s, etc…officers and NCOs of all ranks drink alcohol and get in their car and drive home afterwards no problem, why? Because the MPs didnt stop anyone! Wouldnt you think they would stop cars leaving events like that??? Nah! Too much work! Stop DWI/DUIs so nobody gets hurt or killed, but abide by the regulations as well…..

• guitard
    8:00 am on January 31st, 2013 8

Maybe it’s based on some sort of an international agreement – and DUIs in some countries do follow you back, but in other countries they don’t follow you. I’ve never heard of it happening from a DUI in Korea and the main reason I don’t think it follows you is based on a soldier I know of who got marijuana mailed to him through the MPS. Him and a buddy got busted for international trafficking in dope when the Korean police caught them selling it off-base. They spent several months in a Korean prison and got kicked out of the Army – but the Korean criminal records did not follow them back to the US.

• Bob
    2:15 am on February 1st, 2013 9

I think the DUI should only count stateside if it went above legal limits in the states. I know another individual that got busted in Korea and he was just above .05. Actually got caught coming home from a ball where he said he had about 3 beers early on, and then switched to water for the remaining 2 hrs he was there.

• Kangaji
    8:26 am on February 1st, 2013 10

#7: I’ve found that is everyone is doing the wrong thing there’s eventually a crack down where sfit rolls downhill.

• Kangaji
    8:27 am on February 1st, 2013 11

#7: I’ve found that if is everyone is doing the wrong thing and getting away with it there’s eventually a crack down where sfit rolls downhill…

Bad Behavior has blocked 29021 access attempts in the last 7 days.