Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 23rd, 2013 at 1:44 pm

This is a picture I got to day from a ROK Head who witnessed the MPs at Yongsan actually using a wheel lock on a USFK employee’s vehicle for illegal parking.  Personally I like the Korean method of dealing with illegal parking at apartment complexes which is they put that huge sticker on the driver’s side window that is very difficult to take off.  I wish the Korean police would do that to all the illegal parking on the roads.  They wouldn’t even need to give out tickets, just put that huge sticker on the cars and the problem will be largely mitigated.

Tags: , , , ,
  • sam timmerman
    1:43 pm on February 23rd, 2013 1

I’m impressed … MP’s actually doing something ..
    Those stickers they put on Korean cars are almost impossible to get off. I see people driving around with them on. I guess they know the KNP won’t stop them to say it’s a safety hazard. The dong issues parking tickets for 40,000 Won, but I haven’t seen them do it for many months. You’d think they could make a fortune off parkers who are in the area with the yellow no parking lines ( street too narrow to park ), but they park there anyway. Come on dong … start collecting money from the parking dodgers.

4:16 pm on February 23rd, 2013 2

Das Boot.

• 코리아
    4:48 pm on February 23rd, 2013 3

All the marts these days are carrying sticker remover (acetone based I would assume) that get the sticker and the gunk right off.

5:39 pm on February 23rd, 2013 4

I’m not sure why it is great to see the MP’s “doing something”. Is illegal parking epidemic on Yongsan? Are those individuals who do so incorrigible? A warning wouldn’t work? What happens when they damage a vehicle while installing or removing this device?

I see MP’s at Casey “doing something” sometimes.

They set up their little speed traps and like to wait a little bit after the perp passes so they can come screaming (aka hauling ass) down the road like they are in pursuit of bank robbers. I must make the observation that the MP’s themselves, while playing traffic cop, are the biggest single traffic safety hazard on installation.

As far as the boot goes. I am guessing there is a reason this zone is restricted parking, perhaps safety of ease of traffic flow. Wouldn’t you want the individual to move their vehicle as soon as possible from the area? Another toy for the boys. Good idea fairie. And I can see calling the MP desk and finding out SPC so-and-so has the key but he had to attend EO training so cannot unlock your car until tomorrow (or any other asinine scenario you might imagine).

Now, if you want the MP’s to “do something,” I have a couple suggestions that are well within their charter rather than playing CHIPS and Walker Texas Ranger, with some Barney Fife and Roscoe P. Coltrane sprinkled in.

Installation security. Goes without saying.

Facilities security. There are quite a few where they have a contractor come in, unarmed, late at night and alone to check physical security. That would seem to be an ideal job for MP’s.

• guitard
    5:56 pm on February 23rd, 2013 5

Leon LaPorte wrote:

I saw this vehicle with the boot on it – it was like this all day long. It was parked in front of a sidewalk leading to a building entrance/exit – one of those deals where they basically leave a parking space open so that pedestrian traffic going in and out of the building has easy access to the parking lot without having to walk into between cars parked right next to each other.

So no effect whatsoever on vehicular traffic flow – only pedestrian traffic flow.

Just a side note: this was on a day when the MPs had blocked off several parking spots for some reason – force protection for a VIP visit maybe. Even when all the spaces are available in the area around the White House – parking sucks. So when 30-40 spots are blocked off – it REALLY sucks.

6:00 pm on February 23rd, 2013 6

5. So the vehicle was stuck there all day impeding pedestrian traffic flow (I was assuming either, or both) when it might have otherwise been moved at an earlier time… MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

• guitard
    6:16 pm on February 23rd, 2013 7

Yes and no. There is a handicap parking space next to that spot that rarely has a vehicle parked in it. So in reality, it didn’t have any effect on pedestrian traffic flow.

7:20 pm on February 23rd, 2013 8

7. so it accomplished nothing, probably had the opposite effect of its stated purpose and was just good to see the MP’s “doing something”. :lol:

• Jslimey
    8:11 pm on February 23rd, 2013 9

I see it on Yongsan all the time idiot mp’s probably 20 years old screaming thru the school zone during lunch, after school etc and one day someone’s kid will die because they are responding to a fender bender at the commissary

• Bobby Ray
    8:13 pm on February 23rd, 2013 10

I got booted once but I don’t reckon I know what they was thinking. Ain’t nobody with a lick of sence puts nothing like that on a truck with welding tanks chained up in the back. Took me all of about a quarter minute to have me 2 spanking new half boots. I was thinking to find that rentacops car and cut it down the middle but good sense got the better of me.

• Onezime
    9:43 pm on February 23rd, 2013 11

“Personally I like the Korean method of dealing with illegal parking at apartment complexes which is they put that huge sticker on the driver’s side window that is very difficult to take off.”

Not at my apartment complex. They don’t remove the wax paper at the back of the sticker. Instead, they use Scotch tape. Needless to say, it’s bedlam. We even have assholes parking in the ramp to the underground garage.

• Onezime
    9:47 pm on February 23rd, 2013 12

…and I don’t live in a dump either. Newish 49 to 65 pyeong apartments in a prime real estate area.

• Bob
    9:47 pm on February 23rd, 2013 13

There’s a thing called DBIDS. It’s not like the car can’t be marked in DBIDS and restricted from post.

• guitard
    10:10 pm on February 23rd, 2013 14

Onezime wrote:

We even have assholes parking in the ramp to the underground garage . . . and I don’t live in a dump either. Newish 49 to 65 pyeong apartments in a prime real estate area.

They’d never get away with that at my place. The guards would be calling your apartment right off the bat, and if you didn’t answer, they’d be knocking on your door.

Having said that – that sort of thing just doesn’t happen at my apartment complex. There are hundreds of unused parking spaces on the second floor of underground parking and the elevator goes down to the 2nd underground floor. So there is no reason (benefit) to park that way.

• Onezime
    11:51 pm on February 23rd, 2013 15

#14,

We don’t have an elevator in our underground parking since there is only one floor and it’s a smallish complex, just 5 buildings.

What sucks is that there is no shortage of CCTV cameras, so no chance to smear dog poop or toothpaste on car doorhandles.

• kushibo
    12:00 am on February 24th, 2013 16

Leon LaPorte wrote:

US military bases in Korea are small towns with a small population that tends to go to the same places. In the absence of fines for parking and driving violations (right?), the MPs’ most effective tool is inconvenience. That would include removal of driving privileges (which takes a long time and, with civilian cars, might never occur) and things like this boot (which is much more immediate).

It seems to me that the boot would be a very effective deterrent for future illegal parking, even if it causes a road or sidewalk to be blocked this time. I mean, once you get one of those on your car and have to go through the trouble of getting it off, you’re going to be a lot more careful next time.

I have to admit that worked for me. The one and only time I had to deal with the MPs at Yongsan Garrison for something that was my fault was when I got caught for “speeding” by the school. I was driving a few kph over the non-school hours speed limit, but that was 1 kph shy of double the school hours speed limit. Clearly, I should have known better, and a bit more than a slap in the wrist but had I gotten another similar ticket, I would have eventually lost my vehicle access. Needless, to say, that worked on me.

12:04 am on February 24th, 2013 17

16. My point exactly. A ticket would likely suffice.

12:37 am on February 24th, 2013 18

My other point being avoiding situations like below and the pain it would cause garrison, the young MP, and the vehicle owner, not to mention the completely unnecessary risk of damaging someone’s personal property because someone at the MP station wants to act like real cops.

Ugh! Boot damaged my wheel!
    So I’ll start off saying my got got a boot for a legitimate albiet ridiculous reason. At my friend’s townhouses there are parking spaces for permits and guests. Mind you they all have garages and the permit spaces sit empty 24/7, most guest do as well. Anyways I parked in a permit space without a permit for about 45 minutes and come out to a guy leaving after booting my car. I stop him and have him remove it, for $150. Whatever. I messed up I’ll pay the fine. But wait, I have a set of 18″ RX8 rims that I had acid stripped and repowder-coated and cleared at a cost of several hundred dollars and they are in *mint* condition. Or atleast, 3 of them are now. I’ve got three huge gouges, one of which goes below the powder to raw aluminum. I was gonna sell those rims for a CAI and NOWEEDS on the ‘maro. Waiting on Tempe Police to come make a criminal damage report instead of sleeping before work tomorrow. Sweet.

• James W Bolt 40 yards]
    11:01 am on February 24th, 2013 19

I got a great idea. Why not just obey the taffic laws or do you want somthing to get up set about. So you will have a bad day and feel someone is picking on you.

• jim
    7:16 pm on February 24th, 2013 20

17, seriously. what happened to the good old days of finding a parking ticket on your windshield? there might even be an app for that.

coworker of mine had to deregister his car to leave country. found out the hard way that regularly driving his passat in the bus lane isn’t a good idea.

i guess bottom line, mps should at least pretend (regularly) they are actual cops.

Bad Behavior has blocked 31135 access attempts in the last 7 days.