Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 26th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Adam Lanza, Violent Video Games, and Mass Killings

I recently got around to watching the most recent Frontline episode titled “Raising Adam Lanza“.  Like most Frontline shows it was much more informative than anything I have seen from the other news networks about the Newtown, Connecticut killings.  What I found interesting was the reported affects that violent video games had on the killer Adam Lanza.  The police even privately told Frontline that they believed Lanza changed out magazines while shooting the kids like it was a video game.  According to other reports from the same Hartford Courant reporters who contributed to Frontline, Lanza was supposedly trying to top the number of dead from the Norway mass killing.  This plays right back into the video game angle that he was trying to get the top score.  This also validates my prior viewpoint about how the mass media’s glorifying of these killers actually encourages copycat killers.

From the Frontline piece it is pretty clear Lanza had a serious psychological condition that playing violent video games and shooting guns was probably not the wisest activity for the mother to allow Lanza to do.  Even more troubling is that she did not properly store the guns in her house.  However, something I wish Frontline would have reported on is if Lanza was seeing a psychologist and was prescribed any medication?  Something else Frontline did not report on is whether Lanza watched a lot of violent movies?  It seems that if he was playing violent video games he was likely watching violent movies to.  If you watch the Frontline piece you will see there are other factors played into this mass killing as well.  Ultimately this whole tragedy was avoidable if someone with a history of mental issues had no access to guns

Tags: , , , ,
  • Obama's Speech Coach
    5:35 pm on February 26th, 2013 1

If a couple of the staff at that school were armed, Lanza might not have killed ANY children…

• Obama's Speech Coach
    5:37 pm on February 26th, 2013 2

Ever notice how many mass-killings take place in gun-free zones?

• MTB Rider
    5:43 pm on February 26th, 2013 3

#2: Then clearly this could not have happened! How could Adam Lanza take a gun into a gun-free zone? The city passed a LAW and everything!

It’s not the guns, it’s not the video games, it’s the CRAZY PEOPLE. And you can’t legislate crazy any more than you can legislate morality.

• JoeC
    5:46 pm on February 26th, 2013 4

Saw it a few days ago. While there was talk of violent video games, the only game anyone who knew Lanza mentioned he liked to play was World of Warcraft. While I don’t know much about the game from what what I’ve seen of it it wouldn’t be the first thing that comes to mind when I thing of violent shoot ‘em ups.

The other thing that bothered me was how intimidated and scared the families of the victims seemed to be when they planned to organize. It was as though they felt they would themselves be victims of bullying from their neighbors.

• Onezime
    6:05 pm on February 26th, 2013 5

#3,

No, it’s the guns and the crazy people. Normal people can tell the difference between real and fictitious violence (are we going around dropping anvils on people’s heads because that’s what Wile E. Coyote was trying to do?), so there goes the argument that video games or TV makes people violent. Mass killings rarely occur without guns.

• Rich V
    6:31 pm on February 26th, 2013 6

The one thing I don’t recall them mentioning is that it seems to becoming SOP for students and teachers to huddle together in a group away from the windows and doors thus providing the active shooter the opportunity to top the Norway mass killing as was very likely done at Sandy Hill. My son’s moronic High School teaches this nonsense, I tell him to immediatly bust out a window, jump out through the hole, execute a PLF then unass the AO and don’t look back.

• MTB Rider
    7:02 pm on February 26th, 2013 7

#5: I’d buy that argument, if it wasn’t for all the times in the news where someone in China goes bananas and hacks up an elementary school with a knife or meat cleaver. :-(

The only constant is “Crazy People” who are listening to the voices in their heads…

• Obama's Speech Coach
    7:13 pm on February 26th, 2013 8

IIRC, the Columbine killings happened during the “Assault Weapon Ban”, so we know how well that works out already…

• Bobby Ray
    7:37 pm on February 26th, 2013 9

This Lanza scoundrel was every shade of crazy and didnt have no kind of guidance. Instead of blaming the hundreds of millions of video games or guns or movies which normal people enjoy every day without a lick of problems, try putting the blame on crazy people where it belongs cause that is the one consistent feature of everything crazy that happens. If you solve that crazy people problem you dont need to trouble no normal people who just want to watch some spy shooting up the terrorists or spend all night in front of the computer killing zombies or go out and tear up the range with an real M4. Focus on crazy cause all that other talk is just muddying up the water and aint going to solve no kind of problem in the long run.

Next I reckon we will have a darn wire in our heads feeding us all sorts of that virtual reality. We might not know no difference but at least it will keep the crazies off the streets.

• JoeC
    8:12 pm on February 26th, 2013 10

As a supplement to Raising Adam Lanza you should also take a look at the PBS NOVA investigation called Mind of a Rampage Killer. That was a more clinical examination of brain or developmental factors that mind predispose someone to do that.

Parents, hug your babies more.

• Smokes
    8:53 pm on February 26th, 2013 11

#9 You’re on point, and you seemed to have lost your southern accent numerous time through your post.

Now go away before I stab you with my Bastard Sword of Rok Dropper Slaying +5 to Trolls, -2 to LaPorte.

• Onezime
    8:53 pm on February 26th, 2013 12

#6,
    Yup, wise advice. That’s exactly what I would tell my kid to do if guns were readily available in Korea. Screw the window, it can be replaced. People can’t.

• Onezime
    9:00 pm on February 26th, 2013 13

#9,

“Way back when kids didnt know no difference between reality and comic books. Then it was TV, movies, Dungeons & Dragons, Atari, heavy metal, computer games. Good lord how the media fretted over that stuff and blamed everything upon it. They never stopped and thought that Ozzy done sold 100 million records where everybody was just fine so when one troubled kid goes and does wrong it probably wasnt Ozzy’s fault.”

Don’t forget Judas Priest.

I take it you remember this, the movie Tom Hanks wants us to forget.

• Nue
    9:17 pm on February 26th, 2013 14

#1 – That seems like it would make sense, but it didn’t really work out so well for Chris Kyle, and he was a SEAL. How exactly would a few marginally trained teachers do better? And how much do we want to pay for it, given that we’re looking to cut so much from budgets as it is?

• Bobby Ray
    9:53 pm on February 26th, 2013 15

Well now there Smokes that is mighty interesting. You say that I am on point then you done called me a troll. When a fellow writes down a bunch of lies to get everyone fired up he is a troll. When he writes down an unwanted truth he is engaged in debate. I cant imagine there can be much debate with what I done wrote down so I guess I aint no troll and I aint engaged in debate. Maybe Im a prophet. Thats a joke.

But you paid me a mighty nice complement. You said I lost my accent. Im trying hard. When I look back at my first writing Im embarrassed. Its getting better. I just get carried away and write down what im thinking without paying attention to what i should be writing. But practice makes perfect. I learned the difference between there, their and they’re which is more than some people around here know.

Onezime unless you dont love your kids be careful what you teach them. Them Korean schools are 3 stories tall. Be real embarrassing if the shooter chose the classroom next door and your classmates had to walk by a puddle of your brains on the way out. It would be even more embarrassing if it was just a drill.

• Conway Eastwood
    9:55 pm on February 26th, 2013 16

Hank Hill: “Bobby, I said no video games!”

• Smokes
    10:14 pm on February 26th, 2013 17

#15 Sorry, the sword reference was just a joke. Wasn’t implying you were trolling.

• 2ID Doc
    10:31 pm on February 26th, 2013 18

I’ve seen in several places that they were concerns about Mom’s “improperly stored” guns. IIRC she was killed by him. If she’s dead, nothing will stop him from accessing the weapons, short of voice recognition only, even biometrics (fingerprints or retina scans) slap Mom’s dead hand or opened eye on the pad. If she had a safe, what’s to stop him from comandeering the keys while she’s asleep? Odds are even with a combination, he knew where she kept the numbers or knew it anyway.

• JoeC
    10:47 pm on February 26th, 2013 19

#18

He shot her as she slept with one of the guns from her gun collection. So, he had access to them before he killed her.

• Bob
    12:04 am on February 27th, 2013 20

My thought process if their ever was a shooting at my school I’d look to run out of the school. I figure the police would be coming very quickly and create a security area around the school to trap in the shooter.

However if your only option is to duck and cover then that’s all you can do.

• Onezime
    8:38 am on February 27th, 2013 21

#15,

Don’t worry, my kid isn’t a moron. He wouldn’t jump from the second or third floor. Besides, the few criminals who have managed to get their hands on guns in Korea used them to rob banks.

• Fuddpucker
    9:24 am on February 27th, 2013 22

A lot of these mass killings are video game related. Heck, there was a killing at a Portland shopping mall about a week before the Adam Lanza massacre. Yep, witnesses say the kid was walking around shooting like he was in a video game. Same MO, shoot and kill innocent people and then when the heat closes in, blow your brains out.

• Bobby Ray
    9:32 am on February 27th, 2013 23

Onezime I reckon the exact same problem is still there in Korea but instead of a shooter Id be worried about fire. I done had the living daylights scared out of me everytime I went tooling around Asia. Too many people in narrow little places filled with all sorts of burnable toxic plastic riffraff and no sprinklers nowhere to be found. I saw me a genuine chinese fire drill once and that aint no joke.

I didnt see that maze and monster made for tv tripe. I remember back when everyone was talking about it. Seemed awful dumb at the time and looks like it didnt get no smarter with age. That Dungeons & Dragons looked like it might have been fun but I aint got time for it but I listened into a few games when they was playing in another room.

Smokes I get your joke now but I dont guess a sword is the best thing. I figure a Colt 45 8+1 with double damage hollowpoints and some of them tritium sights for +1 nighttime combat with a concealed carry permit to give attack initiative bonus is good for me. I reckon I can take out about any kind of monster this here world throws at me.

• Onezime
    4:27 pm on February 27th, 2013 24

#22,

Witnesses thought he looked like he was in a video game because that’s their own cultural reference point. 30 years ago, they would have said he looked like he was Rambo.

• Onezime
    4:41 pm on February 27th, 2013 25

#23,

I’m always looking for a way out when I enter a building. That’s just the way I am. I’ve been conditioned to think like that since I was a kid (dad was a CO in the infantry and then a firefighter). So, when they had that fire in the subway, as shocking as it was, I wasn’t exactly surprised there were many victims. I always thought, “How the hell would I open these doors in an emergency?” whenever I took the subway here (the lever to open the doors was located in a hard spot to find, near the floor under one of the seats…great place to get trampled, too. Talk about counterintuitive designs).

• Onezime
    4:42 pm on February 27th, 2013 26

#24…

or the Terminator.

• Glans
    10:04 am on June 29th, 2013 27

• Glans
    10:05 am on June 29th, 2013 28

• Glans
    10:07 am on June 29th, 2013 29

The New York City murder rate falls again. The NY Times and the LA Times refuse to acknowledge the role of lead in crime. Kevin Drum logs for Mother Jones. Click the link, cuz it should work this time. Sorry, I effed up.
    :oops:

Bad Behavior has blocked 31153 access attempts in the last 7 days.