Avatar of GI KoreaBy on September 3rd, 2013 at 9:42 am

How North Korea Is Using Dennis Rodman To Embarrass the US State Department

» by in: North Korea

If Dennis Rodman is able to get Kenneth Bae released I think the North Koreans are using Rodman as a way to embarrass the US State Department who could not get him released:

Flamboyant former NBA star Dennis Rodman returned to Pyongyang Tuesday saying he was visiting his “friend” North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un and playing down speculation he would try to help free a jailed US citizen.

Korean-American Kenneth Bae, 44, has been held prisoner in the North since November, and Rodman had said last week that he might seek the man’s release.

But speaking to reporters at Beijing airport en route to the North Korean capital, Rodman said “I haven’t been promised anything” on Bae.

“I’m just going to meet my friend Kim the marshal to start a new basketball league going,” Rodman said. “I’m just trying to keep the communication job going.”

The North’s official Korea Central News Agency (KCNA) later put out a one-line statement saying he had arrived.  [AFP]

You can read the rest at the link, but the North Koreans have been wanting to begin negotiations with the US where they get free stuff for doing little to nothing in return.  The Obama administration rightfully in my opinion have declined to begin negotiations until the North Koreans show they are serious about denuclearizing.  It will be interesting to see what happens, but I cannot imagine that the US State Department appreciates Dennis Rodman becoming the face of US diplomacy with North Korea in the region.

Tags: , , ,
  • JoeC
    11:35 am on September 3rd, 2013 1

Huh? Using Dennis Rodman to embarrass the State Department? That’s like taking a street hooker to the prom because the home-coming queen turned you down. Who’s embarrassing who?

• Bruce K. Nivens
    12:08 pm on September 3rd, 2013 2

Maybe Mr. Rodman can get NK to denuclearize. I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

• tom langley
    1:06 pm on September 3rd, 2013 3

JoeC #1, That’s the funniest thing I’ve read all day.

• DMZDave
    2:35 pm on September 3rd, 2013 4

You have to feel sorry for Ambassador Bob King. I mean seriously, how would you like to be a real ambassador bumped by the NorKors for Dennis Rodman? That’s not something you want to talk about back at the State Department cafeteria. Hey Bob, sure you have a PhD and years of foreign policy experience but maybe what you need is a few more piercings and some tats might help.

• tbonetylr
    3:30 pm on September 3rd, 2013 5

The U.S. gov’t doesn’t need Rodman to do so. It does a swell enough job at embarrassing itself and has shown Rodman the path many a time.

3:52 pm on September 3rd, 2013 6

The Worm could embarrass anybody – though the norK’s do not need much help.

• Smokes
    5:28 pm on September 3rd, 2013 7

You can’t embarrass an organization with no shame.

Bad Behavior has blocked 31853 access attempts in the last 7 days.