Avatar of GI KoreaBy on September 27th, 2013 at 8:30 am

RIP Infidel; AKA Hume’s Bastard

Via a reader tip I was a bit surprised to see that another K-blogger has unfortunately passed away:

I just got word that a long-time, low-key fixture in the K-blogosphere has passed away. Joseph Steinberg, formerly of Pusan and perhaps better known as Hume’s Bastard to those at The Marmot’s Hole, died this weekend in Texas.  [Monster Island]

You can read more from Kushibo about Joseph at the link, but I never had the chance to meet Joseph like Kushibo did.  Joseph would occasionally leave comments here on the site from pretty much the first year this blog began all the way back in 2004.  He also ran various blogs himself and went first by the monicker “Infidel” and later “Hume’s Bastard”.  He also would occasionally send me e-mails and I found out he was a former Military Intelligence analyst that was trained as a Korean linguist who eventually began to teach ESL in Busan after getting out.  He was a hardcore liberal, but very smart and probably took things too seriously but was a good guy none the less.  So condolences to his wife and family for their loss.

Joseph Steinberg unfortunately adds to the list of K-blog fixtures that have unfortunately passed away.  The other being Mark, Kalani, and Shawn.

• Liz
    9:28 am on September 27th, 2013 1

Damn. You never know what a day might bring. Any word on how he died?

• Liz
    9:30 am on September 27th, 2013 2

All of these K-bloggers sound pretty young, too. That sucks.

• Fanwarrior
    3:53 pm on September 27th, 2013 3

When this was posted over at marmot’s hole days ago there was speculation about whether or not this was genuine. No one can find a death notice at all (and I just searched as well and found absolutely nothing under that name unless he’s a 91 year old veteran…)
    Not only that, some original communication which appeared as a classified ad on busan haps has now been deleted.

Did you actually verify this before posting it?
    webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6-xt4Zd3tgAJ:busanhaps.com/classifieds/joseph-steinberg-death/64268-httpkoreabridgenet+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

• Denny
    8:20 pm on September 27th, 2013 4

There is a lot of mental illness in the Expat community. Sadly, this can lead to depression and suicides.

• Curious
    4:31 am on September 28th, 2013 5

See top comment: http://www.youtube.com/user/josephjsteinberg

Not much out there though

• Jodi
    7:39 pm on December 27th, 2013 6

I regret that I am very late in learning this news. It has been years since I last followed the Korea blogosphere. A Google search trying to find Joseph led me to this post. Judging by when this was posted, it looks like I last heard from Joseph shortly before his passing. He had recently relocated back the the US and had reached out to me for tips on how to reintegrate after years living in Korea. I would be happy to share the last email I received from him with his family. Maybe it will answer some questions or bring some peace. I certainly hope it doesn’t bring any pain. I shared my email on the comment form so please feel free to reach out to me privately.

Very sad to hear this.

Jodi (formerly of The Asia Pages)

Bad Behavior has blocked 59967 access attempts in the last 7 days.