Avatar of GI KoreaBy on January 9th, 2014 at 3:44 am

Canadian Military To Cut Budget For Cadets’ Uniforms

I wonder if anyone in the US military will come up with this idea to have cadets wear their own PT gear and cold weather parkas to save money?

Military budget cuts are leaving cadets out in the cold, with a freeze on the purchase of parkas just as winter kicks in.

A $2-million chop to the outfitting budget also means some of Canada’s 53,000 cadets will have to recycle and swap used uniforms, and to forgo military-issue gym gear.

The clothing crunch comes as the Canadian Forces are being ask to tuck and trim everywhere to help the Harper government slay the federal deficit by 2015.  [CTV News]

You can read more at the link.

Tags: ,
  • 2ID Doc
    5:44 am on January 9th, 2014 1

Oh Noe! They will look like the platoon in Heartbreak Ridge before Gunny Highway straightened them out! The Parkas though might be a kick in the tail, depending on what is considered uniform for the cadets. I was issued a parka once, when assigned to Korea, I don’t think I was ever authorized to wear it; it spent a year gathering dust along with the rest of my Cold Weather & Extreme Cold Weather gear.

• Bob
    6:17 am on January 9th, 2014 2

I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it again: Stephen Harper has to go. Justin Trudeau’s got my support for the next elections.

• Bob
    6:21 am on January 9th, 2014 3

By the way, the Cadets are not soldiers. It’s a youth program. They do learn skills which can serve them in the Canadian Forces, though. For example, my cousin get his pilots license while in the Air Cadets and later became a pilot in the Canadian Forces.

• ronny D
    6:00 pm on January 9th, 2014 4

The US military especially the Army needs to stop changing the uniforms every 3 years. I am sure they have a huge stockpile of old uniforms going back to the fatigues, BDU’s, ACU, DCU and old Greens and whatever comes next…………waste of money creating more when there are war stock warehouses full of crap.. let the academies wear the old stuff.. let basic training wear the old stuff and get issued regular issue when they arrive at their first duty station

• ChickenHead
    6:16 pm on January 9th, 2014 5

Ohhhh… young male military cadets without uniforms… possibly even huddled together to keep warm.

Teadrinker/Bob will be soooo pleased at the thought… even if they don’t all look like Rambo.

• Bob
    7:11 pm on January 9th, 2014 6

#5,
    Hey, numb-nuts, they are kids, boys and girls.

• ChickenHead
    7:35 pm on January 9th, 2014 7

I know. That’s what makes your interest in them even more twisted. At least the little girls are safe.

• Bob
    8:38 pm on January 9th, 2014 8

#7,

You’re projecting.

• ChickenHead
    9:38 pm on January 9th, 2014 9

“You’re projecting.”

Now that is one heck of a snappy comeback coming from an 18 year-old coed who just attended the first week of Psychology 101.

…adult males… umm… not so much.

But you might be right. I could be projecting because little girls are safe around me.

Wha are those skills they learn which can serve them later in the Candian Forces… ah… of course.. sodomy. I didn’t realize that was still a requirement.

At least if English teaching dries up, you can still find work… if not an instructor, a demonstration model.

Much like a Resuscitation Annie, you could work as a Sodomy Bob.

…something for the students to practice on before being sent off to the third world to engage in the real thing like a grown-up Canadian soldier.

Best of luck to you.

• Bob
    1:56 am on January 10th, 2014 10

#9,

If you say so. You’re the expert on fudge packing and kiddy diddling, after all.

• ChickenHead
    2:01 am on January 10th, 2014 11

Whatever, Sodomy Bob.

Actually, they say 10% of the population lives next to a pedophile. But not Sodomy Bob.

He lives next to a sexy 9 year-old.

• Bob
    2:30 am on January 10th, 2014 12

#11
    So says the guy whose in the business of lowering people’s inhibitions.

• ChickenHead
    3:19 am on January 10th, 2014 13

“So says the guy whose (sic) in the business of lowering people’s inhibitions.”

For an English “teacher” with “several advanced degrees”, you sure mix up your/you’re and whose/who’s a lot. I just can’t picture you doing chemistry with that level of imprecision.

Moving on…

As for lowering people’s inhibitions, I WAS in that business… and what a great business it was.

In the modern world, with everyone having a smartphone and a Twitter account, those days are in the past.

A new Victorian age is coming upon us… taming abnormal behavior in all but the most trusted circles… and soon, with the introduction of Google Glass and a number of competitors, conformist behavior will be enforced in public places and among strangers…

…as any criminal behavior will be relayed directly through multiple live video feeds to a militarized police force looking for action… and anti-social behavior will become public knowledge, directly fed through continuous search feeds to friends, relatives, and employers.

There are new and fantastic situations coming that are both fun and profitable. Lowering inhibitions is not one of them.

• Bob
    4:29 am on January 10th, 2014 14

So, you’re saying they finally shut you down for good? That sucks.

• ChickenHead
    5:38 am on January 10th, 2014 15

The world changes. You can keep trying to exist on last decade’s business and social model or you can move with the future.

Hard drinking and crazy action are so 2000.

Of the three clubs, that one got shut down about a year before its time. I shut another one down about a year too early to focus on my current business which was the right choice in the long run. The last one I only had half-ownership and it died a slow death along with the rest of the ville.

My bar now is much nicer than any ville bar but it is completely private… for parties and business meetings only. I occasionally hire domi girls or invite some under-30 party girls but nothing crazy has ever happened. Guests just have a good time. I have a VERY compete bar and everything is free… though generally a bottle or two of something nice shows up to keep things replenished.

I am always thinking of opening another bar… weekends only… and I have a close friend who wants to make a bar with me. He is a gangster of truly comic book proportions. He can manage customers, suppliers, inspectors, workers and I can design and build the interior, design the theme and mood, keep the music/video/stage/equipment running and we can both tend bar. His father owns a couple of big buildings (in kinda poor locations) and we can have a floor rent-free.

While I want to make a popular normal bar downtown (which requires rent… but not too much), he has his heart set on a full-on gangster club… a jacuzzi nightclub with a view of the city and top-shelf girls in bikinis. His friend owns a nightclub and an Italian supercar… and he is dying for the same thing.

I drew up some interiors… glass, dark wood, and stainless steel… and a floorplan including kitchen, storage, centralized support equipment for the jacuzzis. It would cost about 70 grand to do it right… as he has a little army of dolmanies to do the labor for next to nothing.

The jacuzzis are cheap and simple… a welded stainless frame based on the dimensions of door glass so it is all off-the-shelf (or used). Drop the glass in, run a bead of silicone, some treated wood flooring and benches, LED lighting to hid the imperfections. Easy.

This is a dream, though. My wife isn’t thrilled with this idea and I am busy with interesting and profitable (but not nearly as fun) projects.

So, while I will probably always have a bar (as it is MUCH cheaper to hold impressive parties here) I will probably not have another bar for a business until I’m retired on a tropical beach somewhere in about 40 years.

Like the rest, it will probably be one without the music turned up too much, in the interests of encouraging fun or thoughtful conversation… but it will likely not encourage anyone to shed their inhibitions.

• Bob
    2:26 am on January 11th, 2014 16

You’d be stupid to go ahead with his plans. He can easily claim the bar is his father’s. But, if you take the plunge, the best way to protect your investment would be to buy the floor for a token amount. That’s what we did when we invested in a business that occupied all the floors of a multi-story building owned by our partner.

Bad Behavior has blocked 29976 access attempts in the last 7 days.