Avatar of GI KoreaBy on January 24th, 2014 at 3:30 am

Are Facebook’s Days Numbered?

That is what a couple of researchers think:

Facebook is like an infectious disease, experiencing a spike before its decline, according to US researchers who claim the social network will lose 80 per cent of users by 2017.

Two doctoral candidates in mechanical and aerospace engineering at Princeton University made their claims in a paper published online at a scientific research archive, but not yet peer-reviewed.

Based on the rise and fall of MySpace, John Cannarella and Joshua Spechler say that Facebook, the largest online social network in history, is set for a massive fall. [ABC]

You can read more at the link but the only way I see Facebook losing 80% of its users by 2017 is if a better service comes around to compete against Facebook.

Tags:
  • 2ID Doc
    3:52 am on January 24th, 2014 1

I’ll never be a doctoral candidate but my own research says it will lose some popularity. First I use FB to communicate with older family members who are not living in my hometown & I use it to keep up with my Army buddies as well, their kids, & their grandkids as well. Second the DJs locally say “find us on Twitter or Instagram” them later “Oh, we’re on FB too” as an afterthought.

4:43 am on January 24th, 2014 2

Like dial-up BBS’s, telneting to MUD’s, AOL, – other – stuff – forgot – , Myspace, etc., before Facebook; so Facebook will go unless they stay on top of it. But all it takes is some break out new cool thing. It is very easy to be fickle on the interwebtubes.

/DISCLOSURE: Yes, I own FB stock. I didn’t want to miss out like I did on Google. I’m way ahead right now. Just hope I can hold it long enough, but not too long. Buy low, sell high – I always like to think I say. :lol:

• setnaffa
    6:35 am on January 24th, 2014 3

Selling anything when high can result in losses…

• Smokes
    6:35 am on January 24th, 2014 4

I don’t like to be a “How is this news?” kinda guy but for this I’m gonna…

How the #$&@ is this news?

Not speaking against GI for posting it here but for all these so-called major news outlets for carrying this garbage. Go to any site these days and you’ll see sponsored links to “news” stories and usualy there’s one claiming “The death of the PC!” or “German banker’s breakthrough formula predicting the end of Facebook (shocking)”.

Yeah no sh*t everything will eventually end except what is it… taxes, beer, and the disappointing sigh I let out at the start of each trek up Hooker Hill? These guys throw out some EduJargon©, add in a far off date by which no one’s going to remember the sh*t they said, and pass it off a research.

Meanwhile poor Leon’s stock ventures are put into (I lost in) jeopardy when the rating wh0re news networks regurgutate it like it’s anything more reliable than a Miss Cleo email sitting in my spam trap.

Ok, I’m off to catch up on my team’s games… :cool:

• setnaffa
    6:40 am on January 24th, 2014 5

“People who start crap like this should be bound by law that if they’re going to publish a claim like that and proves to be untrue everyone gets to kick them in the crotch.”

It’ll never get through the current Senate…

“You can keep your plan … (if you’re in Congress)”

• Liz
    6:46 am on January 24th, 2014 6

#2: I’d sell now, Leon.
    Don’t get greedy, it’s a lemon and it will be a precipitous fall when it does fall.

Yes, I do hate Facebook. But my oldest son is in Highschool and has told me it is becoming an anachronism.

• Liz
    6:47 am on January 24th, 2014 7

Stocks I wish I’d sold before the fall: Nortel, Global Crossing, Safeskin…to name a few.

6:50 am on January 24th, 2014 8

7. GM!!!! How those bastards are still in business after taking investor money – well I understand but I DON’T UNDERSTAND!

Anyway, you gotta have faith.

• William
    1:55 pm on January 24th, 2014 9

Anyone gunna predict the year of KAKAO TALK’s demise?

• johnnyboy
    2:28 pm on January 24th, 2014 10

#7

I was just looking into buying stock in Nortel. Thanks for the tip, Liz.

• Liz
    5:21 pm on January 24th, 2014 11

#10: Johnnyboy, I don’t know if Nortel is a buy now…this was years ago.
    At one point the stock was worth over 100 (if memory serves). It crashed, big time. They had all sorts of bookkeeping irregularities.
    It might be a steal today if it’s a penny stock.

6:05 pm on January 24th, 2014 12

Just put in some high and low trade triggers. ;)

• Liz
    6:27 pm on January 24th, 2014 13

Well done!

• nomad
    5:36 am on January 25th, 2014 14

If you haven’t already done so, start looking at/researching the marijuana-related companies…this segment has nowhere to go but up; the hard part is going to be finding the ones that will make it in the long run.

Bad Behavior has blocked 29351 access attempts in the last 7 days.