Avatar of GI KoreaBy on January 31st, 2014 at 3:45 am

Hyundai Admits It is Ripping Off Tesla To Make Electric Car

Well at least Hyundai is being honest that they are ripping off technology from Tesla Motors:

Hyundai Motor is going for broke on the commercialization of an entirely new electric vehicle, and the clock is set for mass production in 2018.

Hyundai is planning an entirely new vehicle, from engine design to transmission, like Tesla’s Model S.

Kia Motors’ Ray, in contrast, is an adaptation of an existing model.

This is the first time in four years that Hyundai Motor has reignited its ambition to develop an exclusively electric-powered vehicle. In 2010, the automaker introduced a subcompact all-electric vehicle, the BlueOn, but it was never mass produced.

“We started our research and development last year, under the order of Chairman Chung Mong-koo, to roll out a new, exclusively electric vehicle by 2018,” said a high-ranking official at the Korean automaker.

“For the development of a mass produced all-electric-powered vehicle we put two Tesla Model Ss at our Namyang research lab last month,” the official said.

One of the Tesla cars is used for performance tests, while the other was ripped apart for research and development.  [Joong Ang Ilbo]

You can read more at the link, but Hyundai must think that Tesla is on to something with their electric car strategy in the US.  I have always thought that Korea would be a great place for an automaker to sell electric cars because of the shorter driving distances needed to get around compared to a place like the US.

• Bob
    5:16 pm on January 31st, 2014 1

“…ripped apart for research and development.”

:shock:

• Mike
    4:41 am on March 30th, 2014 2

Hyundai has always been very efficient and top in competition in car market. It can easily beat Tesla.

• JWho
    6:16 am on March 30th, 2014 3

Ripping off Tesla? Have you seen what Tesla is selling their vehicles for? Tesla is ripping off it’s buyers? This world needs affordable alternate fuel vehicles. The headline should read.. Its a shame Tesla is so greedy and not happy with just making a fair profit.

• OneisLonely
    7:46 am on March 30th, 2014 4

Hyundai “is top” as in the number one car brand in the world, or in production efficiency? If you are, can you back that up instead of giving us anecdotes with a twist of nationalism learned in school?

“Tesla is so greedy and not happy with just making a fair profit.”

Yeah, because Korean companies are the epitome of “making a fair profit” in this world, especially in the Korean market. We all know how Korean companies are obsessed with not being greedy, being fair to it’s employees and all consumers… right? One can look to chaebols as a shining example of this.

Korean corporations are the same as any other in the world. That maybe hard for some Koreans to digest, but there it is…

One thing though, Korean oranges are the best tasting in the world despite any empirical evidence and the fact that I have yet to try all the different types of oranges this world has to offer.

• JWho
    9:49 am on March 30th, 2014 5

So since when is nationalism such a bad thing? Seems to me that the Olympics are all about nationalism. Its just that I find it ironic when someone or a company has the table turned on them! As a consumer I welcome the competition that Hyundai is bring to Tesla! As they say karma is a bitch! On a side not and purely as a matter of cost I would prefer to drive a KIA than a Hyundai!

• ChickenHead
    11:32 am on March 30th, 2014 6

“One of the Tesla cars is used for performance tests, while the other was ripped apart for research and development.”

This is a pretty standard way to reduce R&D time, costs, and potential tangents…

…but coming out and saying it is not so standard.

• JWho
    12:12 pm on March 30th, 2014 7

#6 I have heard It called “reverse engineering”. They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery! Not to mention a quick way to make money from other companies innovations and advances in technology. This may be bad for Teslas bottom line but its good news for the consumer.

• OneisLonely
    12:47 pm on March 30th, 2014 8

If consumers want to pay out of their butts for a product, is it the company’s fault? Are consumers forced to buy the product?

During Chuseok, when Koreans pay 70,000W or more for a fancy box with a dozen apples in it, is it Lotte or Hyundai’s fault?

“So since when is nationalism such a bad thing?”

It isn’t always a bad thing, unless it leads to stupidity, hence the Korean orange thing (out of countless examples)that I’ve heard one too many times. Yes, yes, yes-I know- Koreans don’t have a monopoly on it. I bet you sang a different tune about nationalism when Pres. Obama encouraged Americans to “buy American” didn’t you? Are you in support of nationalism when it leads to death threats against international athletes?

I might be impressed about the electric car thing if it was Hyundai being original instead of the reverse engineering thing going on. Yes, yes, yes-I know- other companies do it too.

I agree with you on the Hyundai thing, but considering it owns almost 33% of Kia, I’ll stick to buying other brands. As a consumer, it’s my choice.

You mention Karma? Do you even know how Karma works?

• JWho
    3:23 pm on March 30th, 2014 9

#8 All I can say is.. It’s a dog eat dog world! Ya got to do what ya got to do if you want to survive! My idea of Karma is.. If you kill something or someone for your benefit. You can expect the same thing in return. Bottom line Karma is… What goes around comes around! As a consumer you should have a choice.. That’s a good thing! I agree with you. Its your money you should be free to buy whatever you want at whatever price your willing to pay. I still say KIA is the most bang for the money and don’t forget that number 2 always tries harder! My advice to you as a fellow consumer is to shop around and what ever you do don’t by a GM automobile!

• JoeC
    4:32 pm on March 30th, 2014 10

Here is what a company will do when its owner has the money and commitment to press forward with their innovations.

Challenges? Don’t back down. Double down!

Check out the gifs.

• ChickenHead
    9:17 pm on March 30th, 2014 11

‘I wouldn’t be surprised that when Korean companies and Koreans in general “have the tables turned on them” you sing a different tune.’

They have long ago. I bought two “Samsung Galaxy Tabs” that were made in China for $60 each. There are some barely noticeable differences with the real thing… and no Touchwiz… and they function very well as general-purpose touchscreen microcontrollers at a fraction of the cost of anything marketed for that purpose.

Of course China also copied Korean (and American) cars… almost exactly.

• JoeC
    3:41 am on March 31st, 2014 12

I just saw the 60 Minutes story on Elon Musk which pretty much affirmed what I wrote @10.

4:44 am on March 31st, 2014 13

@12- I saw the Elon Musk story to on 60 Minutes last night. Really nothing new, but for people that do not know about him it should be informative. The documentary The Revenge of the Electric Car mentioned on 60 Minutes really does give a good look at the stress he experienced in the early years establishing Tesla.

Bad Behavior has blocked 36572 access attempts in the last 7 days.