Avatar of GI KoreaBy on February 6th, 2014 at 3:12 am

Is China’s Aggressive Territorial Claims Similar to the Rise of Hitler?

» by in: China

That is what the Filipino President is claiming:

Philippine President Benigno Aquino has warned China’s efforts to claim disputed territories are like Nazi Germany’s before World War II, drawing a fierce Chinese response on Wednesday branding him ignorant and amateurish.

In an interview with the New York Times, Aquino called for world leaders not to make the mistake of appeasing China as it seeks to cement control over contested waters and islands in the strategically vital South China Sea.

“At what point do you say: ‘Enough is enough’? Well, the world has to say it -— remember that the Sudetenland was given in an attempt to appease Hitler to prevent World War II,” Aquino told the New York Times in Manila on Tuesday.

Aquino was referring to the failure by Western nations to back Czechoslovakia when Adolf Hitler-led Nazi Germany occupied western parts of the European nation in 1938 ahead of World War II.  [AFP]

You can read more at the link, but if President Aquino thinks he has the rise of Hitler happening next door to him what is he doing to build up his military to stand up to them or is he just hoping that the US will do it for him?

Tags: , , ,
  • Ajeoshi Judge
    3:37 am on February 6th, 2014 1

Even if he builds up his army, what chance does he have against the world’s largest population and second richest country? Better to just bend over and take it like a true Filipina.

• ChickenHead
    3:50 am on February 6th, 2014 2

“But he does have a good point though. There are stark contrasts between early 20th century Europe and early 21st century East/SE Asia.”

It seems “stark contrast” does not mean what Ajeoshi Judge thinks it means.

• 2ID Doc
    4:29 am on February 6th, 2014 3

Looking at the map, China is playing the role of the playground bully, only making huge claims in areas where smaller less capable countries have claims they are going to do what they please knowing what the UN you will wring their hands and pee in their pants like they always do and America is not in the mood to put the bully in their place ala Paracel Islands in the 1970s.

• 2ID Doc
    4:34 am on February 6th, 2014 4

What the heck was I writing? Bullet points:
    China is being a bully.
    UN will will wring their hands and pee in their pants.
    The countries being bullied will not put up a fight expecting the US to step in.
    America will not get involved.

• ChickenHead
    5:51 am on February 6th, 2014 5

“What the heck was I writing?”

I was wondering the same thing. I thought you were either having a stroke or I was missing a two-for-one sale on rubber cement thinner.

• King Baeksu
    6:22 am on February 6th, 2014 6

And how does South Korea fit into this equation?

Its current leader has decided that she’d rather it be China’s little bitch than an actual, fully equal partner with Japan, just because she hates the latter so much.

Don’t worry, it’s a “han” thing — you just wouldn’t understand.

• Smokes
    6:32 am on February 6th, 2014 7

“And how does South Korea fit into this equation?”

They’re playing the role of Italy I guess…

“Eata da Kimchee or Iya smacka you face!”

6:42 am on February 6th, 2014 8

@1- The Philippines does not have to win a war against the Chinese. All they have to do is make it too painful for the Chinese to risk a conflict with the PI over the Scarborough Shoal. The PI has to dissuade the Chinese from forcibly taking control of a shoal which is only about 90 km from the PI. Spending money to field better naval ships, anti-ship cruise missiles, and a few ballistic missiles that could strike major Chinese cities would drastically change any Chinese thoughts of forcibly trying to occupy the shoal. However the PI would need to shift money from other people’s government funded rice bowls to fund the upgrades or do something about corruption to improve their economy to increase revenue. So it easier to have others to do the heavy lifting to defend the shoal for them.

For example look at the upgrades the Vietnamese are doing to their military. They just fielded their first of six advanced Russian submarines:

It is pretty clear that the Vietnamese have no intention of “bending over” for China and other countries in the region should follow Vietnam’s lead.

• King Baeksu
    7:03 am on February 6th, 2014 9

The Koreans could learn a thing or two from the Vietnamese, but I guess they’re too busy drinking “bombs” and copping feels in rooms with puffy couches and chintzy wallpaper.

• 2ID Doc
    8:34 am on February 6th, 2014 10

#5 CH I’m blaming it on the fumes from the maintenance team recaulking my bathroom to prevent a leak downstairs…at least it sounds good.

• FreidrichVonSteuben
    2:18 pm on February 6th, 2014 11

Figures Tom, this type of thing is his MO, would threaten to use weapons of some kind. Gutless wonder would never say these things face-to-face. Like most of ‘em, it’s attack in large numbers, whilst drunk, or make threats over the internet. Oh well, warming up for the Olympics probably.

Vietnam also cowers to the Chinese over a lot of matters, make no mistake. Just because the Viets beat them about a little in 1979 doesn’t mean they don’t appease the Chinese.

• Liz
    3:38 pm on February 6th, 2014 12

Smokes: ““And how does South Korea fit into this equation?”

They’re playing the role of Italy I guess…

The Italian role in Germany’s defeat is often underestimated. The Germans had to divert their resources to help out the Italians, and the Italians performed so poorly at defending the supply ships it was a war of attrition and the Germans lost huge in the Mediteranian (sp?).

Sometimes the friend of your enemy can be your best friend.

• Glans
    6:50 pm on February 6th, 2014 13

Liz, it’s mediterranean.

The Italians also failed on the Eastern Front.

• King Baeksu
    7:37 pm on February 6th, 2014 14

“Or better yet, I’d gladly take a nice chainsaw, and rip your body in half.”

Yo, this isn’t your own private horror movie, it’s a freakin’ discussion forum for civilized, educated adults.

Now run along to your momma, because it looks like someone’s diapers need a change. :shock:

• johnnyboy
    9:14 pm on February 6th, 2014 15

#15

There I go again in #11 with the death threats. Silly me. In all actuality I’m crying out for attention. I just “gladly” want to be loved.

Well anywho, thanks for playing the game with me guys. Can’t wait to respond to someone’s post with a gratuitously violent death threat next time. See you under my other names. I’ll probably go by a random string of letters with someone’s name in there followed by a “f***off.”

Oh, and if I try to pretend that I’m someone else, just play along. It’s part of the gag.

Thanks again, Rok Droppers. I love you all.

Signed,
    JohnnnyBoy aka FEWA5FIEFIIWAIWFEWIAFEWIAFEIWFEFIFE

• King Baeksu
    9:29 pm on February 6th, 2014 16

He has nothing or interesting or insightful to say about the topic at hand, but still feels compelled to “voice his opinion” — because gosh darn it, in a democracy everyone has that right, after all — so decides that if he comes off as an unhinged psychopath, that will somehow distract everyone here from how vacuous and vapid he really is.

Go read some books, sonny, and enlarge that small mind of yours. It might actually help.

• johnnyboy
    9:49 pm on February 6th, 2014 17

Thanks, King. I knew you’d understand. I better get back into character though. I’m sure there’s going to be plenty of comments on that car accident thread. I’ll gladly mosey on over there and crack some skulls and cut some bodies in half, just like in my video games.

• Ajeoshi Judge
    1:23 am on February 7th, 2014 18

Aww thanks CH, what would I do without our resident genius engineer turned grammar-phrase-spell checker.

• Ajeoshi Judge
    1:26 am on February 7th, 2014 19

#8

The Philippines does not have to win a war with China, but how long are they (and the Vietnamese) willing to fight for before other countries step in?

They could well make themselves a huge pain in the arse, but I don’t think they could make themselves a prolonged pain in the arse

• ChickenHead
    1:51 am on February 7th, 2014 20

“turned grammar-phrase-spell checker.”

Actually, I was functioning in my capacity as a “thinking checker”.

The Philippine president pointed out stark similarities. You agreed with him by claiming the existence of “stark contrasts”.

Whenever somebody looks at white and proclaims black with the appearance of all the false wisdom they can muster, it is worthy of notice…

…or ridicule.

• King Baeksu
    2:59 am on February 7th, 2014 21

“Faefawfweafe Fawfwaawf,” which sounds awfully like a derivative of “Fap Fap Fap,” has sent me so many death threats to my public email address that they are now automatically routed to my Spam folder. You know you have a problem when your death threats take on the character of a mass-produced product.

GI Korea, it would be interesting to know the geographic location of his IP address, if only to warn his neighbors and make sure their children are not left unescorted when they venture outside.

• Ajeoshi Judge
    3:22 am on February 7th, 2014 22

#20, I apologize.

Correction: what would I do without our resident genius engineer turned “thinking checker”

• ChickenHead
    3:51 am on February 7th, 2014 23

“what would I do without our resident genius engineer turned “thinking checker””

…still think “stark contrasts” means similarity rather than difference?

• Liz
    1:05 pm on February 7th, 2014 24

#13 Glans: “Liz, it’s mediterranean.
    myeh. Spelling shmelling.

“The Italians also failed on the Eastern Front.”
    I didn’t even know Italians served in the Eastern front. And I’m half Italian, that’s pretty sad. My grandfather was a British POW. He came home well fed, with chocolate. He basically gave up when he saw the Brits coming. They’re lovers, not fighters.

• johnnyboy
    3:45 pm on February 7th, 2014 25

“They’re lovers, not fighters.”

Just ask Mussolini. :shock:

When it comes to love and fighting, both can be passionate endeavors. Sometimes the two can be intertwined.

Ever met a couple that starts fights on purpose, just so they can have make-up sex? It’s not dysfunctional if they make it work.

Bad Behavior has blocked 31170 access attempts in the last 7 days.