Avatar of GI KoreaBy on March 19th, 2014 at 7:45 pm

General Sinclair Trial Moves Into Sentencing Phase

» by in: US Military

As the General Sinclair moves through the sentencing phase more details about Sinclair’s behavior is coming out:

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — The wife of Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair, who has supported him from the time he was charged with sexual assault two years ago, described her husband in a statement Tuesday as consumed by guilt and remorse for an adulterous affair with a junior officer under his command.

The statement came as a prosecution witness testified that suspicions of the three-year affair with an Army captain had become so widespread that a military skit at a roast for Sinclair in 2010 featured soldiers portraying the general and his lover as they prepared to engage in oral sex. (………)

She said her family had been “dragged through the mud” by the media, Army prosecutors and “that party” — her term for the woman with whom her husband had the affair. She asked why “that party has been protected and permitted to lie under oath with no consequences.”
[Stars and Stripes]

Read the whole thing at the link, but there is no doubt that Sinclair is sleazy and deserves whatever punishment he gets.

Here is something else I found of interest in the article:

Also Tuesday, Army prosecutors put on the stand the lieutenant who was asked for a date by Sinclair after he told her he was “smitten” by her. She declined because she “just didn’t think it was right,” she testified.
The lieutenant said publicity about the case had damaged her career and “done me a disservice.”

The testimony was intended by prosecutors to demonstrate that Sinclair’s behavior has harmed female service members and that the general should be punished accordingly.
The lieutenant, one of just a handful of women serving as a field artillery officer, said senior male officers are now wary of her and refuse to meet with her alone in their offices. “I feel this case has worked against me,” she testified.

First of all how sleazy must Sinclair be to be hitting on a lieutenant that is probably not even half his age? Secondly the lieutenant probably has not been in long enough to realize that there is nothing wrong with her, but it is pretty much standard practice for male leaders to have a witness in their office when meeting with junior female servicemembers. When you look at today’s environment of being guilty until proven innocent, one false accusation can end a career that the senior leader spent years with much sacrifice building.

• Jerry
    8:33 pm on March 19th, 2014 1

Well this is what happens when you have a culture which has thrived on such things for decades.

• 2ID Doc
    4:13 am on March 20th, 2014 2

2 Points. First I remember during my Active Duty days I don’t remember an NCO meeting with an opposite sex service member alone professionally, at least at my first assignment. I had a female NCO squad leader who if she needed to speak alone with me would always have her NCO boyfriend present.
    Second “Rebecca Sinclair, who said she has stayed away from her husband’s high-profile court martial to be home with the couple’s two sons, ages 10 and 12, asked for a sentence that “doesn’t punish us any further.”” According to a local newscast the implication was that his pay not be damaged by his conviction. Obviously either the UCMJ rules are different for General Officers or she is not in reality. Most UCMJ convictions also include language about loss of pay & benefits.

• Angel of Retribution
    8:02 am on March 20th, 2014 3

$20,000.00 fine and a reprimand:

Before the “he got off easy because he’s an officer” posts starts flying, let me tell you of my experiences. I saw about five instances of Soldiers in my unit committing acts similar to BG Sinclair’s. Almost all involved NCOs and only one got official heat and that was only because the situation went public. That Sergeant’s punishment amounted to a probated field grade Article 15 so basically he wasn’t punished. He kept his nose clean for 3 months and everything was back to normal.

• Angel of Retribution
    8:03 am on March 20th, 2014 4

SHEESH, I wish we could edit posts!!! I meant I saw five instances of Soldiers commiting acts similar to what Sinclair plead guilty to. Sorry about that.

• Liz
    8:18 am on March 20th, 2014 5

#3: He did get off ridiculously easy, AoR. That sucks.
    This guy seriously abused his authority and there is no way this didn’t adversely impact his subordinates in a huge way. He is a GENERAL for godsake. He has probably been doing this his entire career.

Last assignment, I knew a Colonel in a similar situation (though without the press coverage and no sexual assault charge…merely adultery and fraternization). They cut him down in rank to the “last time he served honorably”…which was Major. And he was forcibly retired.

And that skit was highly low-brow and inappropriate. Yes, they roast people but they usually find a way to do it without humiliting the family. I wonder what brainiacs came up with that one (Lts probably).

Bad Behavior has blocked 35743 access attempts in the last 7 days.