Avatar of GI KoreaBy on April 14th, 2014 at 8:35 am

How the Japanese Self Defense Force Is Trying To Soften Its Image

» by in: Japan

Lets see China is the one that is threatening just about every neighbor around them with their growing and already massive military and Japan’s military has singing competitions and there a few anime with little girls in tanks and they often get labeled as rising militarism?:

Yukari Miyake stands at the gate of the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force Band, Tokyo headquarters, on November 23, 2011

Pacifist Japan is gradually learning to love its military, with an apparent public relations campaign under way to soften its image, featuring online popularity contests, a much-touted soprano vocalist and dating events.

The armed forces are also visible in youth culture, with young teens tuning in to “Girl und Panzer” a cartoon about schoolgirls who do battle in tanks. Japan’s most popular Twitter hashtag in 2013 was #KanColle, a reference to an online game in which anthropomorphised warships compete to out-pretty each other as young girls.

The image change comes as nationalist Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is pushing to give the Self Defence Forces (SDF) more money and scope to act as a normal military might, at a time of rising tensions with China.  (…….)

Beijing has sought to paint Abe’s moves as a dangerous slide towards the militarism of last century.

Most commentators agree China is off the mark and Japan remains no threat to neighbouring countries.

A bigger obstacle to the project is public opinion at home.

Kirk Spitzer, a journalist specialising in military matters, says “the majority of Japanese still have a lot of qualms about having a real military service.”  [AFP]

You can read more at the link, but anyone that claims rising militarism in Japan should be laughed and mocked.  The only reason Prime Minister Abe is even able to advocate for defense reforms is because of the real rising militarism from China that is threatening Japanese territory in the Senkakus.  Even with these very real threats from China there is no guarantee he will get the reforms that he wants.

Tags: ,
  • Smokes
    8:43 am on April 14th, 2014 1

The moment you understand Japan is the moment you’ve gone insane. :cool:

• ChickenHead
    11:10 am on April 14th, 2014 2

“How the Japanese Self Defense Force Is Trying To Soften Its Image”

The only thing they seem to want softened is the image.

• Dr.Yu
    1:10 pm on April 14th, 2014 3

Soften its image?? How about promoting clear understanding of its role during the imperialism, acknowledge that they did wrong, stop using the rising sun flag, show some constrition for the crimes they commited, respect the memory of their victims ….. or they can keep paiting tanks and fighter with half naked girls and call them with cute names ….

• Flyingsword
    3:25 pm on April 14th, 2014 4

Damn Dr. Yu…. :shock:

7:12 am on April 15th, 2014 5

@3- I am not a big fan of Japanese revisionist history either, but I do wish Koreans would demand the same of China who killed far more Koreans than the Japanese ever did during the Korean War, are directly responsible for the division of the country, and keep the Kim regime in power in North Korea that continues to threaten the people of South Korea to this day.

• Clawed The Fraud
    7:41 am on April 15th, 2014 6

• Dr.Yu
    7:55 am on April 15th, 2014 7

GI, IF China insults the memory of war sexual slaves and glorify war crimes be sure that koeans will demand the same from China. Japan is bringing it on them becausse of their nationalist agenda.

• Smokes
    8:33 am on April 15th, 2014 8

Sooo… assist the enemy in attempting to take everything from you, be responsible for over a million deaths, pollute the ever living hwangsa out of you each year, and have a several thousand year track record of treating you like 4th class peasents and all is good.

But don’t you dare say anything that in reality makes you look like an ignorant a-hole that everyone wonders “what the h3ll’s wrong with you” because….

because…

Tell us Dr. Yu. I’d really like to know how Japan making a fool of itself by saying stupid crap is anywhere near as bad as what China did/does/will always do. Why are you all either so scared of or eager to please China?

• Dr.Yu
    9:14 am on April 15th, 2014 9

Smokes… does it refers to the thing that replaced your brain inside your skull?
    Korea and USA are allies and Korea will stand up to the commitment made with the USA for the security of the Asia-pacific region, but Japan at that point is becoming an annoying obstacle that Korea is trying to overcome through frank and sincere dialogue.
    You can ridicule Korea as much as you want, but is Japan that is hurting USA´s Asia pivot policy with their stubborn past glorification …..

• Ole Tanker
    11:12 am on April 15th, 2014 10

All I know is this sailor can commit hari kari by throwing herself on my hard banana anytime!

• The3dees
    11:57 am on April 15th, 2014 11

Yeah and according to former Pres Bushie Japans the better friend and its true. Koreans aren’t good friends America is Koreas friend Korea has no real friends name one if you can

Koreans hate America till something happens and then its we love America except ones who can see past the nationalist ****shit rare breed indeed Korean vets a dying breed are good that way

Koreans are like the Japanese they say one thing but mean another no diff between and they say everyone does it but them Japan did bad stuff but Korea is anything but sincere

YU Korea should protect Asia Pacific cuz its in its own back yard not because of the US but because of it’s security and common interests put that card away Koreans its morally disgusting when you takeit out of the deck Korea should take on all responsibility cuz the US may have to fight and die for your spoiled brat a**es and your dumb *** civil war

China Japan and especially Korea are a murder of cawing selfish rich b**ches who could help the rest of Asia but just sit on there ass*s acting like they say America acts Join forces and do some good for the poor parts of Asia

One thing Japan does better is giving foreign aid something they beat the Chinese and Koreans at Korea and China don’t even make the top ten. Spain makes the top ten Sweden beats Korea

Japns #3 the least selfish of the two I know Koreans will find a way to hate on them for that

My gfather got physically and mentally wounded fighting for your people Glad Im out of the military cuz todays Korea jus aint worth it. Id go to jail before fighting for Koreans that wasn’t always the case Koreans taught me well

• Smokes
    8:16 pm on April 15th, 2014 12

Dr. Yu, typical move of a foreign devil like yourself to lay the blame on America of something it had absolutely nothing to do with.

Let’s set the Way-Back Machine to oh around 1871 when Korea was invited to participate in global activities and they promptly replied with “No, you smell like cheese go away! But before you go… do you know Kimchi?”

Skip ahead through some idiotic foreign hijinks to 1875 when the Japanese came back with a similar (albiet false) promise, again Korea said “No, go away!” and opened fire at which time got stomped by the Japanese ship and forced to sign a horrible horrible treaty that set the stage for Korea to be Japan’s whipping boy for a long time to follow.

Korea could’ve handled this junk much better a long time ago but stubborn Joseon pride f’ed it up for everyone for over a century.

As to upholding commitments, surely you jest because when Korea needed help from the US, the US sent a combat ready force of 330,000 of which 129,000 were dead or wounded. US help is the only reason there’s a South Korea at all. When the US asked Korea’s help in Iraq and offered command of MND-West Korea sent around 30,000 nurses and engineers and said “nah we’ll just camp up in Irbil where it’s nice and safe” and because of Korea involvement… uhh.. yeah who knows what good it did other than secure some fat contracts for Korean companies after the war.

So yammer on all you want about frank and sincere dialog because as long as there’s a Dokdo display in the War Memorial it’s BS. If is wasn’t for several Middle Eastern countries, Korea’s arrogance and pride in the face of numerous failures would be unmatched.

I’m done with the RokDrop Soapbox, who want’s it? :razz:

• ChickenHead
    9:36 pm on April 15th, 2014 13

During WWII, along with brutal warfare against America, Japan did some pretty horrible things to American prisoners of war.

This has not been forgotten… and may not have been forgiven… but there is an understanding that the Japanese zeitgeist of the early 20th century is very different than it is now…

…and hating what the Japanese were is compatible with accepting (and appreciating) what they are.

America has moved past that and has manufactured new enemies of convenience because Japan is a useful ally and a close relationship is important… both politically and socially.

Korea needs to (grow up and) do the same… as a friendly relationship and strong alliance with Japan is a much more clever strategic plan than distracting the population through constant bickering over events that happened between Japanese and Koreans who were very different people than they are now.

At the least, it will demonstrate a level of political maturity on the global stage which is frequently lacking in stagnant and third world countries of which Korea is no longer a member.

There are other ways of maintaining a strong and proud Korean identity than childishly whining about past conflict and minor disagreements with military and economic strategically-valuable neighbors.

Are you paying attention to that last part, Canada?

• Dr.Yu
    4:45 am on April 16th, 2014 14

This is funny. There is a troublemaker in the neighborhood playing music loud all day long and littering in the garden of his neighbors. The cop have a brilliant solution: tells the neighbors to act like adults and mature people while leaving the troublemaker alone ignoring the source of the problem. Why? Because the troublemaker is smart enough to spare the cop from littering in his garden. :lol:

• ChickenHead
    7:18 am on April 16th, 2014 15

Dr. Yu,

Tell me what the Japanese are currently doing that hurts Korea.

• Dr.Yu
    8:04 am on April 16th, 2014 16

#15. Are you serious? Are you that naive? :shock:
    Give Google a try ….

• ChickenHead
    8:20 am on April 16th, 2014 17

Dr. Yu, I am absolutely serious.

Don’t play diverting word games, make vague claims that I am naive, or push responsibility off onto Google.

As a Korean who believes Japan is doing something tangible to damage Korea, I would like you to explain exactly what it is.

Based on your past comments, you have thought about this in depth and believe this so strongly it should be very easy to make a simple numbered list of what the action is and specifically how it hurts Korea.

• Dr.Yu
    3:01 pm on April 16th, 2014 18

Yes CH,
    You know me from long time and so I do know you too.
    You are here time enough to know what are the issues that bothers Koreans regarding Japan, and since I’m Korean you already know what´s in my mind in this regard.
    Yet you want me present you a list of my thoughts for the sole purpose of engaging me in conversation with you ……
    I sense there is something you already have prepared for me in your mind and you are just waiting my comment to unleash it here. So I wonder: why formalities? Just send it, come on …. I Promise I will try my best to entertain you ……

• ChickenHead
    3:45 pm on April 16th, 2014 19

Dr. Yu,

This is not a trap or trick to engage in an argument. I have nothing prepared. That is exactly why I am asking you.

I recognize that Japan did bad things to Korea. I understand that Japanese pride will not allow a sincere apology. I sympathize that Korea is unhappy about this.

But hurt feelings are for the weak and only have an effect if you allow them.

After careful consideration, I cannot think of a single tangible thing right now that Japan is doing to Korea which is harmful… nor can I find any such thing with Google. Perhaps the fault is mine.

When I asked my friends why they dislike Japan, I got answers ranging from comfort women to textbooks to Dokdo to past occupation. That is completely understandable.

When I asked how this was currently harming Korea, I got no answers… just a lot of vague over-emotional generalizations and misdirections with no real substance… exactly as I have gotten from you.

Now, as you have us believe you are both a doctor and an international lawyer, I presume you have a good general education, training in reasoning and conceptual organization, and experience in expressing your thoughts logically and clearly. I further believe you have strong feelings on this matter that you have spent a lot of time thinking about. I therefore must conclude it is a trivial matter for you to compose a simple list of actions Japan is engaged in which are currently hurting Korea along with clear explanations on exactly how Korea is hurt.

I am not looking for an argument, Dr. Yu. I am looking for information.

So, without diverting the conversation, making excuses, or attacking me, I ask again…

What is Japan doing right now that harms Korea?

• MTB Rider
    12:45 am on April 17th, 2014 20

I’m curious about the answer as well. China invaded Korea in the 1950′s, leading to the partition of the country. A family of psychotics runs North Korea with Chinese backing, torturing the families and restraining the growth of the Koreans living north of the 38th, yet Koreans like Dr. Yu have nary a word of complaint against.

Chinese fishermen attack and kill South Korean Coast Guardsmen, and it’s “just boys being boys, playing rough. You know, nothing big.” China’s pollution blankets Korea, Chinese police send defectors back to North Korea to be tortured and killed. South Koreans are cool with that.

But if a Japanese man says he does’t particularily care for kimchee: “That Means WAR!”

I repeat ChickenHead’s question: What is Japan doing right now that harms Korea?

• G.I. G.I. Joe
    1:26 am on April 17th, 2014 21

@9. Dr.Yu: “If USA can sweep under the rug Japan´s war atrocities for the sake of their geopolitical convenience, why not Korea with China´s crimes?

The US did not sweep Japan’s war atrocities under the rug; in fact, and correct my recollections if they are wrong, the US declared war on and ultimately unleashed atomic weapons on two of Japan’s cities. Perhaps you think that in the unconditional surrender that the US forces upon Japan and accepted that the US did not continue to deal harshly enough with Japan, then that’s a matter of degree compared to Korea’s continued acceptance of China’s invasion of Korea and propping up a morally reprehensible state that ROK is at war with today.

It’s Korea that won’t go to the ICJ and settle the Dokdo issue or bring Japan to arbitration by terms of the 1965 Treaty normailizing relations between Japan and Korea to settle Korea’s dispute for adequate compensation for the comfort women.

• ChickenHead
    5:05 pm on April 24th, 2014 22

Dr. Yu… nothing?

What exactly is Japan currently doing to hurt Korea?

Three times, you ridiculed me for not having an answer to to this simple question.

…yet you also seem to have no answer.

A wise and reasonable response could shut up those who ridicule Korea for childish attitudes toward Japan. Further avoidance of directly answering the question, or no response at all, supports many bad perceptions and encourages ridicule of Korea.

Dr. Yu, by your actions, you currently have the power to help or hurt Korea’s image.

Which will you choose?

• MTB Rider
    9:48 pm on April 27th, 2014 23

Paging Dr. Yu. Dr. Yu, you have a question at ROK Drop.

• ChickenHead
    10:12 pm on April 27th, 2014 24

That is the end of Dr. Yu.

He is fully aware we will not let this go… and if he comments on another topic, he will be further hassled for this answer.

That is too bad. Dr. Yu was pleasant and generally had something minor to add…

…though nothing major to add about professional topics…

…which strongly indicates he is neither a doctor nor a lawyer… a rather disappointing fiction which likely conceals a much more mundane truth such as he is a Songtan small business owner.

This question bugs me, though. I never considered it too deeply… as it isn’t any of my concern… but I wonder why nobody ever asked this obvious question.

Bad Behavior has blocked 30815 access attempts in the last 7 days.